The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

The leavers are like many old men I have worked with.

They think the firm will close without them, and hate it when they are on the outside, and the firm continues just as well without them.

Haven't you got that the wrong way round? It's the timid remoaners who aren't confident enough in their own and their countries abilities to go it alone.

How is that leaver's regret?

my only regret is that we did not leave sooner

Then stop trying to tell the EU how to run it's budgets,you don't like how the club runs,you leave the club,end of story.

The only reason I mentioned the EU budget is that in the negotiations it may well influence the size of the exit fee which the EU will demand.

With the full knowledge that if the UK thinks the price is too high then we'll all resort to WTO rules. So bearing in mind that contrary to most Leavers beliefs, the EU aren't idiots, they'll have run the numbers and worked out the costs and benefits or either doing a deal with the UK paying 'exit fees' or going to WTO without the deal and are making sure they win either way? Basically clever buggers, unlike us.

---------- Post added 03-04-2017 at 16:56 ----------

Haven't you got that the wrong way round? It's the timid remoaners who aren't confident enough in their own and their countries abilities to go it alone.

Or perhaps realise that working within something bigger than yourself is far better than being a loner?

The only reason I mentioned the EU budget is that in the negotiations it may well influence the size of the exit fee which the EU will demand.

The EU don't need your money,theywill re structure budgets like all businesses have to do when unexpected things happen,honouring your committments is entirely different.

With the full knowledge that if the UK thinks the price is too high then we'll all resort to WTO rules. So bearing in mind that contrary to most Leavers beliefs, the EU aren't idiots, they'll have run the numbers and worked out the costs and benefits or either doing a deal with the UK paying 'exit fees' or going to WTO without the deal and are making sure they win either way? Basically clever buggers, unlike us.

If the EU had really been clever, then it would have been less uncompromising in its negotiations with Cameron pre-Brexit. However, it is basically too rigid and too driven by ideology and by the self-interest of certain member states to behave flexibly and reasonably in negotiations.

If the EU had really been clever, then it would have been less uncompromising in its negotiations with Cameron pre-Brexit. However, it is basically too rigid and too driven by ideology and by the self-interest of certain member states to behave flexibly and reasonably in negotiations.

Cameron already had the tools but never implemented them to restrict immigration from the EU.

What about immigration from outside the EU, is that not a problem.

Edited by Frans2755

I am referring to the various costs of leaving, which the EU will seek to make as high as possible, partly in order to encourage the others and partly to fill the big hole in the EU budget when the UK leaves.

The EU's negotiating position only strengthens the case for leaving this anachronistic and hyper-bureaucratic monstrosity.

I suggest waiting until the outrageously unfair and inflexible negotiating position of the EU becomes clearer for all to see. At present, we have only seen its initial demands. However, I doubt if these will change much. Then we should walk away, having given the EU every opportunity to agree a reasonable deal for both sides.

Care to tell us what is outrageously unfair about the EU negotiations? Both sides are going to get the best respective deals they can.

As far as I know they have only said they wont discuss what happens after till they have made progress on the issue in hand which concerns the practicalities of leaving.

How are we giving them every opportunity for a reasonable deal? What is it?

I havent see it on the news, but you appear to have done so. Care to enlighten, so people know what you are going on about?

You are a bit naive and disingenuous if you dont appreciate that both sides in a negotiation will seek to get the best deal they can from the other, but will compromise.

I'm not saying that you were 'tricked' but there are many that were. Possibly some who voted Remain were also tricked by the Remain campaign. Neither campaign comes out of this smelling of roses. As you say, the referendum has been done, votes counted and unless someone can absolutely demonstrate fraud based on the lies told then it'll stand. The problem I have with it all is it's such a mess. Even if every remainer did indeed 'get over it' and vaguely supported you guys, it'd still be looking like an absolute shower. It's not us who have any power to block things yet all I'm hearing is how unfair the EU is being and it's all vindictive, well tough luck. This is the pile of mess you've created so you should absolutely expect to get called on it repeatedly. Did you HONESTLY think that the EU wouldn't try to get the best deal they can for their members? They aren't short-sighted at all, perhaps they've just done the numbers and reckon they'd be better off if we do end up trading with them on WTO terms? Did you not consider that?

Why is it such a mess? We haven't reached Armageddon as was forecast by the remain side.

Of course the EU negotiators will try to get the best deal for them and I would expect ours to try to get the same for us, I've never said they are being vindictive.

I didn't consider what you said about WTO trade terms because our government have already said no deal is better than a bad deal and I'm content with that.

Cameron already had the tools but never implemented them to restrict immigration.

No he did not. The ideas floated which might have made a significant impact on EU migration were all deemed incompatible with EU law. The member states made it clear that they would not budge on this issue.

A message to brexiters:-

“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,

Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit

Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,

Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”

You have done it now, and you will suffer the consequences.

Unfortunately, the rest of us will have to suffer from your idiocy too.

No,what this shows is that the EU doesn't respond to blackmail,give us what we want or we will leave,now that you have left,what do you think this approach tells you about how the upcoming negotiations will go?

No he did not. The ideas floated which might have made a significant impact on EU migration were all deemed incompatible with EU law. The member states made it clear that they would not budge on this issue.

That is because you have the system of anybody can enter, become self employed or just look for a job and when none found get a benefit.

The conservatives or the government liked the idea of the great influx of cheap labour and never did anything to stop it.