The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

Just watched the lunchtime news on dutch tv, main item the words of Michael Howard going to war for Gribalter. Maybe a good spot for a ding dong would be Cape Trafalgar.

Sorry, with relevance to a forum thread, any forum thread, who said that ?

And there is no chance whatsoever that I will cease reminding as many people as I can what lies the Leave campaign told to win, significantly, by a narrow margin. The only thing which will stop me is if the UK actually gets its promised free access to the single market (which will also mean the NHS can get it`s extra £350 million a week). As I`ve said, if that happens I`ll not only shut up but publicly apologise. The question is, if neither happens, will you and the other Brexiteers apologise for dishonestly winning ?

I`m not holding my breath.

Hairyloon said it to me, when I was advocating remaining in the EU. it was said in very unpleasant terms as well.

Hairyloon said it to me, when I was advocating remaining in the EU. it was said in very unpleasant terms as well.

I don't think I did.

You'll need to provide a reference, else I'll consider it as defamatory.

It is becoming increasingly clear that EU 27 (here meaning the member states and the EU institutions) are pursuing a policy based on vindictiveness and selfishness towards the UK. I never expected anything less, given that the lofty ideals of the EU project are mainly moonshine, to cover the self-interests of the member states. I hope at some point that the Prime Minister will have the courage to walk away from the bad deal which the other member states will present her with. EU 27 will, predictably, be too short-sighted and rigid in its thinking to realise that its demands will in the long run be bad for the member states as well as for the UK (in fact, probably even worse for the former).

It is becoming increasingly clear that EU 27 (here meaning the member states and the EU institutions) are pursuing a policy based on vindictiveness and selfishness towards the UK. I never expected anything less, given that the lofty ideals of the EU project are mainly moonshine, to cover the self-interests of the member states. I hope at some point that the Prime Minister will have the courage to walk away from the bad deal which the other member states will present her with. EU 27 will, predictably, be too short-sighted and rigid in its thinking to realise that its demands will in the long run be bad for the member states as well as for the UK (in fact, probably even worse for the former).

Stop blaming the EU for your leave vote. You decided to leave and all I can hear is wishfull thinking on the UK gov's behalf, ftree trade deals, no payments, etc. It cannot possibly happen, you are flogging a dead horse.

Take the consequences and just leave, it will save a lot of time and then you will find how the things pan out.

I presume you have thought all the consequences through.

Walk away now,like Nuttall has told you to do,stop trying to get access back into something that you voted out of,grow a backbone and stop throwing your toys out of the pram when countries start to stand up for themselves against the UK.You voted for it,now you face the consequences.

Stop blaming the EU for your leave vote. You decided to leave and all I can hear is wishfull thinking on the UK gov's behalf, ftree trade deals, no payments, etc. It cannot possibly happen, you are flogging a dead horse.

Take the consequences and just leave, it will save a lot of time and then you will find how the things pan out.

The UK has paid considerably more into the EU than it has received. This was true even when the UK was one of the poorer member states. The amounts being demanded from the UK before exit talks can start is basically blackmail. The EU will have a huge hole in its budget to fill after the UK leaves and we should not be subsidising this in any shape or form.

Nor should the EU be able to dictate to us on the form or extent of the trade deals we negotiate with other countries when we leave.

Come on Frans, you're smart, you must know that's the Leavers' plan: exit without a deal to try and save face, blame it all on the EU to try and avoid the public hatchets.

Situation normal: FUBAR :lol:

The UK has paid considerably more into the EU than it has received. This was true even when the UK was one of the poorer member states. The amounts being demanded from the UK before exit talks can start is basically blackmail. The EU will have a huge hole in its budget to fill after the UK leaves and we should not be subsidising this in any shape or form.
Money talks, bull excrement strolls: the UK is being reminded of this truism, and so getting a lesson in cake eating from the EU. That lesson has only just started.

There's no vindictiveness whatsoever, simply a balancing of 1 national interest vs 27 national interests, and the balance is tipping with the heavier weight.

Who'd have thought? ...ah, yes: Project Fear, that's who :lol:

Nor should the EU be able to dictate to us on the form or extent of the trade deals we negotiate with other countries when we leave.
Well, if these other countries are any of the EU27 and/or the EFTA4, I'm afraid you've got no choice. Surely you knew that, after 44 years in the club?

For the rest of the world, free for all, within the constraints of WTO terms and as any pre-existing EU<>3rd party country TFA may influence (the UK doesn't get to keep their benefit though).

Edited by L00b

Walk away then,right now.

Are you for real? The EU isn't being vindictive for heavens sake. It's simply looking out for it's own just as we should be. How amazingly predictable you Brexiters are. Always someone else's fault isn't it?

---------- Post added 03-04-2017 at 15:01 ----------

Exactly. Life in the EU was so terrible we are better off with a WTO deal aren't we? That was what you said wasn't it? Come on then. We are waiting to get our country back. I want my country back.

I suggest waiting until the outrageously unfair and inflexible negotiating position of the EU becomes clearer for all to see. At present, we have only seen its initial demands. However, I doubt if these will change much. Then we should walk away, having given the EU every opportunity to agree a reasonable deal for both sides.

When the treaties were made up and signed I presume the UK understood what it signed up for. No blackmail just pay or receive whatever you owe or you are owed, simple.

My country The Netherlands has sinds the beginning been a net contributor, we are not moaning.

When you have left the EU I understand that you can do what you like regarding trade deals.