The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

I don't know if remainer's loyalty to what is simply a bureaucratic institution (Like being loyal to British gas or the inland revenue) is touching, laughable or tragic.

I'm no fan of the EU but I believe that remaining part of the biggest and most integrated free trade zone in the world is in our best interests. People will come to reflect ruefully on the fact that Cameron had actually secured that for us in a kind of three speed EU with us in the slowest possible lane. With that in place there would have been zero advantage to ever leaving. As we are going to find out that is what we'll kind of end up with anyway only with us on the outside with no say, and further weakened in a rump UK.

I'm no fan of the EU but I believe that remaining part of the biggest and most integrated free trade zone in the world is in our best interests. People will come to reflect ruefully on the fact that Cameron had actually secured that for us in a kind of three speed EU with us in the slowest possible lane. With that in place there would have been zero advantage to ever leaving. As we are going to find out that is what we'll kind of end up with anyway only with us on the outside with no say, and further weakened in a rump UK.

The slow lane still leads to the same destination.

The political experiment that is the EU may yet succeed. But what if it doesn't?

---------- Post added 21-03-2017 at 09:39 ----------

It's irrelevant whether it is a reaction or consequence, it has happened because of Brexit. Did you seriously expect the EU to lie down and roll over?

Nobody asked them to lie down and roll over. Where did that come from?

We only asked them to guarantee persistent rights of residency to existing residents in return for which we offered the same.

It was very straightforward, the moral case was overwhelming, they refused. It's that simple.

UK inflation jumps to 2.3%

Breaking: UK inflation rose to 2.3% in February from 1.8% in January. Food and fuel prices were the main drivers.

It’s a bigger-than-expected rise after economists forecast 2.1%, and the highest level since September 2013.

Also a return to the Bank of England’s 2% target.

More soon...

UK inflation jumps to 2.3%

Breaking: UK inflation rose to 2.3% in February from 1.8% in January. Food and fuel prices were the main drivers.

It’s a bigger-than-expected rise after economists forecast 2.1%, and the highest level since September 2013.

Also a return to the Bank of England’s 2% target.

More soon...

Before anybody tries to pin this on Brexit.

Inflation is 2.2% in Germany.

http://www.focus-economics.com/countries/germany/news/inflation/inflation-continues-to-rise-in-february

Maybe you should now tell us what you would replace capitalism with?

Why? What have my personal opinions got to do with it?

For what it is worth, I would like to see a United Republic of Europe, run basically on the lines of the USA, until the current mob of fools and gangsters too k over.

But as Europe is the oldest and greatest seat of civilisation in the world it will not be an easy task.

Deep seated prejudices and sentiments will need to be taken into account.

Why? What have my personal opinions got to do with it?

For what it is worth, I would like to see a United Republic of Europe, run basically on the lines of the USA, until the current mob of fools and gangsters too k over.

But as Europe is the oldest and greatest seat of civilisation in the world it will not be an easy task.

Deep seated prejudices and sentiments will need to be taken into account.

Is it? What of Mesopotamia and Egypt, or for that matter China?

Before anybody tries to pin this on Brexit
Of course the current level of inflation in the UK is down to Brexit :roll:

The referendum vote is the only major socio-economic change to have happened in the UK relative to 9 months ago.

The GBP has been steadily ratcheting down for 9 months, relative to all hard currencies (in particular the U$D and €uro), with each fresh utterance from Ms May about her implementation of Brexit.

And you ain't seen nothing yet on the inflation front (if you can remortgage, now is the time to get a fixed rate deal...as long-term as you can get it).

Your comparison with the German rate is simple whattaboutery. Different economy and currency for starters.

Of course the current level of inflation in the UK is down to Brexit :roll:

The GBP has been steadily ratcheting down for 9 months, relative to all hard currencies (in particular the U$D and €uro), with each fresh utterance from Ms May about her implementation of Brexit.

And you ain't seen nothing yet on the inflation front.

Your comparison with the German rate is simple whattaboutery. Different economy and currency for starters.

Average inflation in the €Z is 2.0% for February, up 0.2% from January. So I suppose you can put the 0.3% in the UK down to Brexit. If you must. Although in principle you really ought to justify it.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Inflation_in_the_euro_area

Is it? What of Mesopotamia and Egypt, or for that matter China?

That's the trouble with you lot.

Talking Europe down all the time.

None of those you mention was global in any way, Europeans travelled and now in a real sense control the entire world .

Those you mention remained isolated in their enclaves, much as brexiters want to.

That's the trouble with you lot.

Talking Europe down all the time.

None of those you mention was global in any way, Europeans travelled and now in a real sense control the entire world .

Those you mention remained isolated in their enclaves, much as brexiters want to.

I really don't think rewriting history to make Europe the "cradle of civilisation" is terribly progressive.

We had glass. China did not. Otherwise they would likely have wiped the floor with us. Anyway this is all rather off-topic.

Europe has made some major contributions to the modern world, but it is not the cradle of civilisation.

Average inflation in the €Z is 2.0% for February, up 0.2% from January. So I suppose you can put the 0.3% in the UK down to Brexit. If you must. Although in principle you really ought to justify it.
I'm not even going to try.

On the contrary, I'm very happy to let you keep your head in the sand about it, and about any and all similar consequences.

As with the 'no deal' outcome, the 'divorce bill' settlement, the 350m less for the NHS, etc., it will make the eventual discomfiture and anger of the Brexit voters all the more delectable in due course :D

(working class Leave voters in Wales and North East England still believing 9 months on, that the Tories are going to make their lives better...'incredible' does not begin to qualify it! :hihi:)