The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

The ones I'm worried about are the less educated, the ones who now have escape routes like seasonal work and less skilled jobs.

they will be ok, once the eastern european vegetable pickers have gone there will be plenty of jobs for them, being out in the fresh air all day every day will do most of them a power of good

The whole point about complex issues of substance is that they don't have simple yes/no answers of the type that can or ought to be put to a referendum.

The whole point of representative democracy is that most voters (myself included) don't have the time or interest or (perhaps) habitual modes of thinking to address complex issues of substance outside their areas of expertise. The problem is that it requires the representatives to be both well-informed and acting in the interests of all of the people they represent - neither of which is, I think, true at present, or for the foreseeable future, now that Parliament has morphed into a caste of professional politicians.

All the parties have been abysmal. They are going to be judged extremely poorly.

All the parties have been abysmal. They are going to be judged extremely poorly.

Judged by whom and in what way? The only options we appear to have available are to vote for someone else, but if we do that then the wrong lizard will get in.

We have a problem now that parliament is effectively a closed shop.

No one can gain access to it unless approved by one of the main parties, and the Murdoch and other right wing press.

The entirety of them, apart from a very few, are totally in favour of this disaster we are heading towards.

It seems that since the vote last June, that they have took it to mean that they no longer need to take into account the wishes of the people.

May is now practically ruling by edict, as she has no opposition.

I wonder what will happen when the GE time comes up in 2020?

Will we have one?

The whole point of referenda is that they are intended to be preceded by a debate in which complex issues of substance can be aired, to enable voters to make up their minds.

That's one theory, but they tried that in the Scotland referendum: clearly it didn't work else they'd have done something like it for the EU one.

1.4kW is not a lot. Your kettle uses twice as much.

1.4kW is the best part of 2 horse power: is quite a lot really. A kettle uses a hell of a lot.

Judged by whom and in what way? The only options we appear to have available are to vote for someone else, but if we do that then the wrong lizard will get in.

None were powerful enough to change the trajectory of both sides of the campaign and steer the output back to being informative.

In the aftermath it has taken elder politicians to try and inject an even-handedness into proceedings. Few in the commons were brave enough to do it.

The Tory party from being a majority pro-remain party appears to have undergone some bizarre collective road to Damascus experience.

Labour have been led by two politicians who have always wanted to leave the EU.

The LibDems started this whole thing rolling by becoming Tory enablers in 2010. They should be ashamed.

It's disastrous

And we are letting this bunch of bungling incompetents do it, without even trying to stop them.

Speak for yourself. I am at least trying to try. ;)

I am probably the only person here about whom the UK has formally declared herself to be not-friendly... :suspect:

---------- Post added 30-03-2017 at 21:22 ----------

The LibDems started this whole thing rolling by becoming Tory enablers in 2010.

Not just that, they scuppered any chance of electoral reform in the process.

Edited by Hairyloon

I am probably the only person here about whom the UK has formally declared herself to be not-friendly...
There's a queue, mate.

Me and a few others have been there ever since the UK government declared us EU immigrants to be negotiation pawns. It goes back a long time, in political timescales.

You're welcome to join though, I think you'll find us an open-minded and friendly bunch :)

There's a queue, mate.

Me and a few others have been there ever since the UK government declared us EU immigrants to be negotiation pawns. It goes back a long time, in political timescales.

You're welcome to join though, I think you'll find us an open-minded and friendly bunch :)

My wife is in the queue too. The kids have EU citizenship too - it should work out ok for them I guess but who knows what stunts the government is going to pull. My wife has worked as a medic in the NHS for almost 30 years ever since leaving uni. Maybe her non-British status will cause her to be shafted over her NHS pension. If we move into the EU after Brexit maybe that is a certainty. Who knows.

My wife is in the queue too. The kids have EU citizenship too - it should work out ok for them I guess but who knows what stunts the government is going to pull. My wife has worked as a medic in the NHS for almost 30 years ever since leaving uni. Maybe her non-British status will cause her to be shafted over her NHS pension. If we move into the EU after Brexit maybe that is a certainty. Who knows.
Pragmatically, the message from No.10 is that there is no goodwill acquired, in your wife's case after 30 years, and in my case after 20-odd years.

So, the useful lesson is: look after yourself first, and f the rest of the world. Should have been the order of the day from day one and forever more, really (cynically)...but some of us have grown a social conscience over time. Big mistake, apparently. Lesson learned.

Now you know why my life outlook changed, as from Jan 01, from the earlier "concerned and cooperatively addressing" to "take everything, and give nothing".

I have zero asset or capital left in this country. Anything left that is required practically (e.g. cars) has been put in my (dual nationality) daughter's name. Everything else has been offshored. Including ownership of our UK dwelling.

I haven't paid a penny of tax since Jan 01, and reclaimed every last deducible penny going. If we're gone by June 1, No.11 will have got a big fat zero out of me for 2017. If not, it will get the absolute bare minimum I can legally get away with.

All personal DDs and contributions to charities and other organisations stopped. I'm still supporting them after a fashion, but only so long as there is a marketing angle (e.g. a local Chamber of Commerce event in support of a local charity) and it's expensable.

Country's still getting the benefit of my local socio-economic activity and the support jobs which I require to deliver it. For now. It's a fairer trade, under the circumstances: I've only stopped investing goodwill myself, since it's not being reciprocated.

If it gets worse, I now have waiting opportunities (and am still working on more), we're fully mobile and gone under a month.

Plans have long been made in the expectation that there simply won't be a State pension in the first place by the time I retire, so that's not a factor. If there happens to be one, bonus points. If there isn't, neutral on the P&L.

Edited by L00b

There's a queue, mate.

Really? The nation has made a formal declaration about you personally? Good stuff, I thought it was unusual and I was on my own. I wonder how many of us there are and if there is any way to find out?

Hang on now, where is "there"? Are we at crossed purpose?

What are you asking me to join here? Are we having a revolution? Gets my vote, but we need a good front man...

But coming back to being unfriendly, when one nation is unfriendly towards another, that is not very many steps away from war. ~How does it work when a nation is unfriendly towards an individual?

I have written and asked, suggesting that if we are to escalate to civil war then we should make it a non-violent one and agree to the rules... I've not yet had a reply.

No, during the run up to the referendum all sides lied and lied and lied, aided by the press who lied even more. It was an embarrassment to the country who ever won. I'll wait until the next general election but sadly I think we've found a new level in British politics.