The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

We said we don't want to be part of their superstate. We didn't say we don't want to be friends. We offered to quickly guarantee the rights of existing residents. They refused.

Apart from consenting to collective government, which is ruled out, what can we do to reassure you and our European friends that we want to remain friends from outside the political union.

Nothing. Full "One in the hand, two in the bush" steam ahead.

My grandfather was an economic migrant after 1929. So was my Dad in the 70s. My maternal grandfather was evicted in 1941 with one suitcase. Too french, not Germanisable.

I know which way that particular cookie crumbles, mate. It's practically genetically hardwired.

Gotta stay ahead of the nationalist game, now that you guys are playing for keeps :)

I'm too senior for the Dutch, they can 'only' offer me €100k. Paris & Luxembourg next, keeping Nice as a spare wheel, as that's €80k max (but then, would I forego the big €s for the weather and quality of life...I think I could :D).

Edited by L00b

Thousands of EU migrants are leaving the country as it is. The number of EU nurses applying has plummeted. Same for doctors, same for researchers...

As pointed out before the number of overseas NHS staff coming from the EU alone is about 14% of the total overseas staff employed by the NHS so its impact will be minimal.

The problem with 'stopping' immigration, is that the UK economy will suffer, and the NHS, and education and international business.

Some people may have voted leave because they thought it would stop immigration. Myself and many others I know certainly didn't vote leave because of that idea. I don't think the leave campaign stated that either.

It is exacerbated by treating people who live and work here, fully legally by the way, like they are potential terrorists (which is why you have to detail all your travel).

Is this what people voted for with Brexit? :|

As for the first bit, what I would ask is has the threat of terrorism in the EU countries got worse over the past decade? If the answer is yes then those measures are probably justified when people are travelling to a fro from mainland Europe. Is it the same in France, Germany etc or worse?

People voted leave for different reasons but it seems to be a tactic of remain voters to lump them into just a few categories: Racist, Xenophobic and uneducated because they are unhappy with the result.

My wife's English, she is more upset at what is happening than I am. It's all a pretty stupid situation for a country to manoeuvre itself into. Still hearing from people I know in academia that are leaving or preparing to leave, increasingly including Brits like Biotechpete above. The UK HE sector is one of the best in the world, but gems are getting knocked off the crown at an alarming pace.

Yup, 800,000, quite a large number living on the edge of their financial ability as it is. Asking them to pay around 100€ a month for health insurance might well be too much.

Not very bright are they,

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/781518/Eurozone-finance-economy-trillion-debt-ECB-Spain-Italy-Portugal-Greece

Out of a cushy life and into the fire.

The EU has been pretty clear from the word go - no negotiations before Article 50 has been triggered.

They've also been clear on something else: No access to the single market without freedom of movement of people and goods.

That does not excuse the British government from sorting things out at their end. The insecurity doesn't come from the EU, it comes from the horrendously complicated INTERNAL system that the Brits have for acquiring residency. May could have changed that the day she was in charge, she chose not to. Result: EU nationals are leaving the UK because they don't like the way things are going.

Result of that - meltdown of the economy and services reliant on foreign labour. Not your fruit and veg picking foreign labour that often gets held as the reason for Brexit, the top talents that make the economy tick in a global setting.

The EU doesn't have to refuse all negotiation ahead of article 50. That's a choice they made. Just like leaving EU citizens in the UK and vice Verda in limbo was a choice.

The EU is the cause of this issue persisting. That could not be more clear.

The Propaganda Rag still campaigning for Brexit by trying to convince Brits they did the right thing,nearly a year after it happened.:hihi:

---------- Post added 20-03-2017 at 20:26 ----------

So , the 29th of March will see us trigger 50 . Thank god for that. Let get going ,and get the hell out of the EU as soon as possible.

Nearly a year to send a letter,Barnier must be quaking in his shoes.:hihi:

It was an offer to guarantee continuing residency rights to existing residents, it was made 4 months ago, and it was rejected by Tusk and Merkel.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/29/donald-tusk-accuses-british-voters-backed-brexit-creating-anxiety/

I'm sure though that you will conjure up a way to make this the UK's fault though.

She offered negotiations. A political stunt. There is no vehicle to formally agree such a deal until A50 is triggered and well you know it.

The most May or the EU could have offered was a conciliatory stance to allay the fears of millions of people. Sadly both sides have been found wanting on that.

The EU doesn't have to refuse all negotiation ahead of article 50. That's a choice they made. Just like leaving EU citizens in the UK and vice Verda in limbo was a choice.

There would not be an issue if some obscure rabble rousers had not started all this nonsense.

The true reasons for all this have not yet emerged.

The facile reasons put forward for brexit are mere fluff, hiding the true intentions behind all this.

She offered negotiations. A political stunt. There is no vehicle to formally agree such a deal until A50 is triggered and well you know it.

The most May or the EU could have offered was a conciliatory stance to allay the fears of millions of people. Sadly both sides have been found wanting on that.

There is absolutely nothing stopping the EU27 from agreeing, as the UK has offered, to simply grant residency rights in perpetuity to existing residents.

It really is that simple. They're being awkward for the sake of it.

I would really like us to issue the guarantee unilaterally and try to shame the EU into reciprocating. Maybe it would work. But what if it didn't? Would we not be guilty of a betrayal of, an unforgivable gamble with, the welfare of UK citizens resident in the EU?

---------- Post added 20-03-2017 at 20:39 ----------

There would not be an issue if some obscure rabble rousers had not started all this nonsense.

The true reasons for all this have not yet emerged.

The facile reasons put forward for brexit are mere fluff, hiding the true intentions behind all this.

Oh gods another conspiracy. Why not.

Edited by unbeliever

There is absolutely nothing stopping the EU27 from agreeing, as the UK has offered, to simply grant residency rights in perpetuity to existing residents.

It really is that simple. They're being awkward for the sake of it.

I would really like us to issue the guarantee unilaterally and try to shame the EU into reciprocating. Maybe it would work. But what if it didn't? Would we not be guilty of a betrayal of, an unforgivable gamble with, the welfare of UK citizens resident in the EU?.

We didn't offer anything specific. But an agreement in principle could have been good, or like you say we could just have been thoroughly decent and made a unilateral commitment.

Oh gods another conspiracy. Why not.

Not a conspiracy, we can see it happening, hourly.

How long has Trump got now?

He has sown the wind, and he about to reap the whirlwind.

That wind is inexorably blowing us to the right, and god knows where it will take us.

The USA and Europe will never be the same, no matter what happens.

Well that's alright then, it's all their fault, it's got nothing with to do with the UK voting for Brexit. From now on, whatever happens we (you and the rest of the brexiteers) can't be blamed.

Well that's alright then, it's all their fault, it's got nothing with to do with the UK voting for Brexit. From now on, whatever happens we (you and the rest of the brexiteers) can't be blamed.

We have the right to leave. It's in the damn treaties.

If they choose to go out of their way to make arbitrary people suffer, to deter other nations from exercising their sovereign right to leave the union then that's on their consciences.