The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

Hoping for its demise so our mistake won't look so bad is sad.

Agreed but I've not implied that, in fact somewhere among these posts is a hope that it works for them.

As I'm 70 and voted remain in an attempt to ensure the future prospects of my grandchildren I resent your blatant ageism! :mad:

:hihi: I doubt the remark is personal. Somewhere in Sheffield there's a big bucket of tar and every now and then brushes are dipped.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote tags

:hihi: I doubt the remark is personal. Somewhere in Sheffield there's a big bucket of tar and every now and then brushes are dipped.

No I didn't think it was personal, but couldn't let it by without comment. Not all of us old un's are xenophobic moaners wanting to blame all our woes on foreigners. :)

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

No I didn't think it was personal, but couldn't let it by without comment. Not all of us old un's are xenophobic moaners wanting to blame all our woes on foreigners. :)

Indeed we are not :)

But I'm content to believe that much of the Leave vote in June 2016 was actually a protest vote at failing domestic politics and domestic issues (the exact same with which the electorate resonated last week: austerity effects on NHS, education, welfare, <etc.>). .

It's certainly a more than interesting theory you have there. The question begs then, is it more likely that people will be listened to, probably not, at least not with any fervour.

Actions by people for failings and or oppression are commonplace aren't they.

If what you say is correct and the vote was viewed as an offer to protest then why not!

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote tag

Ok, gotcha now. We've been a royal pain haven't we. I get why people don't like us which is a shame, coz take away the stuffed shirts that almost run this country and we are really quite nice, amiable even.

To emphasise the buoyancy point:

http://time.com/4820283/european-union-poll-brexit/

To emphasise the buoyancy point:

http://time.com/4820283/european-union-poll-brexit/

Thank you but I didn't doubt you.

Interesting how they view our leaving will be a bad thing for Europe though as well as ourselves.

Thank you but I didn't doubt you.

Interesting how they view our leaving will be a bad thing for Europe though as well as ourselves.

I know you didn't doubt me, just came across it by accident :)

It has been a very interesting event (Brexit) for the EU. It seems to have galvanised an understanding of the EU with a lot of citizens. As Brexit made the news across the continent it seems to have sparked people thinking about what the EU does for them and, in general, this seems to have resulted in a more positive outlook.

Young people in particular are all of a sudden waking up to the fact that they have to voice their opinion if they want it to be relevant. In the Netherlands one paper opened on the first day after Brexit with - 'old guard trip up the young in shock Brexit result'.

I know you didn't doubt me, just came across it by accident :)

It has been a very interesting event (Brexit) for the EU. It seems to have galvanised an understanding of the EU with a lot of citizens. As Brexit made the news across the continent it seems to have sparked people thinking about what the EU does for them and, in general, this seems to have resulted in a more positive outlook.

Young people in particular are all of a sudden waking up to the fact that they have to voice their opinion if they want it to be relevant. In the Netherlands one paper opened on the first day after Brexit with - 'old guard trip up the young in shock Brexit result'.

If only the young had have galvanised themselves for IN or OUT we would definitely not be having this debate.

The Union needs reforms everyone knows that so if Britain's exit does that, alles is goed.

It's certainly a more than interesting theory you have there. The question begs then, is it more likely that people will be listened to, probably not, at least not with any fervour.

Actions by people for failings and or oppression are commonplace aren't they.

If what you say is correct and the vote was viewed as an offer to protest then why not!

Because what they've voted for is going to make what they were protesting about worse/longer lasting/harder to solve.

Because what they've voted for is going to make what they were protesting about worse/longer lasting/harder to solve.

I know what you're saying and I concur but if it's part or wholly the reason why then the outcome and long term effects are immaterial, they pushed back against something they blamed for the problems they were/are facing. Ok they still have problems maybe worse now but they've forced the issue and created problems for everyone.

I know what you're saying and I concur but if it's part or wholly the reason why then the outcome and long term effects are immaterial, they pushed back against something they blamed for the problems they were/are facing. Ok they still have problems maybe worse now but they've forced the issue and created problems for everyone.

I'm not sure those who used the brexit vote as an opportunity to protest against austerity do blame the EU for the problems they are facing. The results in the recent election seem to support that viewpoint.

As I'm 70 and voted remain in an attempt to ensure the future prospects of my grandchildren I resent your blatant ageism! :mad:
There was no ageism meant in my earlier post, to which you replied: just dispassionate and objective observance of voting trends, as politicians will be observing them, drawing conclusions and tuning their discourse and policies.

For now, Leaver or Remainer, older generations are still 'sheltered' by the Tory majority in the HoC. In view of the past GE voting profiles and trends, that won't last, is all I'm saying.

Your past vote will not make a blind bit of difference, when a next/later government seeking to ingratiate itself with a younger voting demographic starts to target wealth/inheritance/healthy pensions/old-age nice-to-haves benefits <etc.>

Your mileage may vary of course, but everyone is getting a share of the Brexs**t sandwich: Leaver, Remainer, old, young, British, immigrant, resident, expaatriate...and some will be served more than others. It's inevitable.

---------- Post added 16-06-2017 at 15:10 ----------

<...> If what you say is correct and the vote was viewed as an offer to protest then why not!
Because the net result is less to go around in the short to medium term at least, inevitably (all sides agree on that one), i.e. those who voted 'leave' out of protest at not getting enough, will be getting still less.

You can either see that outcome as biting irony, or despair at its effect on social justice and mobility, or cynically say that it serves them right. I don't hide that I have been, and continue to go, through all 3 sentiments, depending on the day and the news.

There was no ageism meant in my earlier post, to which you replied: just dispassionate and objective observance of voting trends, as politicians will be observing them, drawing conclusions and tuning their discourse and policies.

For now, Leaver or Remainer, older generations are still 'sheltered' by the Tory majority in the HoC. In view of the past GE voting profiles and trends, that won't last, is all I'm saying.

Your past vote will not make a blind bit of difference, when a next/later government seeking to ingratiate itself with a younger voting demographic starts to target wealth/inheritance/healthy pensions/old-age nice-to-haves benefits <etc.>

Your mileage may vary of course, but everyone is getting a share of the Brexs**t sandwich: Leaver, Remainer, old, young, British, immigrant, resident, expaatriate...and some will be served more than others. It's inevitable.

---------- Post added 16-06-2017 at 15:10 ----------

Because the net result is less to go around in the short to medium term at least, inevitably (all sides agree on that one), i.e. those who voted 'leave' out of protest at not getting enough, will be getting still less.

You can either see that outcome as biting irony, or despair at its effect on social justice and mobility, or cynically say that it serves them right. I don't hide that I have been, and continue to go, through all 3 sentiments, depending on the day and the news.

What can I say?

Perhaps an apology is needed (not from me silly :hihi:) from a government and an opposition (leave remain) for driving around the facts and parking at confusing bullet points for you gotta say they really didn't supply any useful information.