The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

Why do you think they want the UK to stay?

Well be lucky if we export 30%, it may go through the EU, but not all of it stays there.

A bit like there sanctions on Russia it does the EU more harm than good.

But you carry on believing them if it makes you feel good, 52% don't agree with you, probably more now.

Why do they want us to stay? Some do some don't.

Before the referendum an extremely articulate German wrote to the Times and they gave it a suitably prominent position at the head of the letters page.

Basically his message was " you are nothing but a trouble making bunch of ingrates who begged to be admitted into the EEC when you were the sick man of Europe on a three day week, since joining you have been disruptive and too interested in kissing up to the Americans to be committed Europeans, so why don't you sod off and become the 51st State? "

I paraphrase, he was a lot more charming and well mannered than that but that was the gist of his letter.

Where do you get the 30% figure from, 44% is the figure normally quoted.

In any case anything we export through the EU for onward transportation will presumably attract a higher tariff following Brexit and therefore increase the cost to the end user.

Carlinate

Please use the proper way to quote and do not amend or add your own text to my quotes as in post 3244, doing so is also against forum rules.

Will you now please delete or amend that post or I will have to report the action.

But you carry on believing them if it makes you feel good, 52% don't agree with you, probably more now.

Your obsession with the percentages is interesting.

In the general election of 7th May 2015 the Conservatives won and got to form a government with 36.9% of all votes cast.

So 63.1% of voters voted against them and yet they won.

In the June election they did better, but still only got 42.4% an increase of 5.5% whilst Labour increased their vote by 9.5% to 40% of votes cast.

You'll note that they managed to win without gaining close to the 48.1% that voted remain.

As for your " probably more now " most people have accepted we're leaving and want the best deal possible and if that meant voting Conservative then so be it, but if another referendum was held we would vote to remain, I have no doubt whatsoever.

---------- Post added 17-06-2017 at 18:32 ----------

Carlinate

Please use the proper way to quote and do not amend or add your own text to my quotes as in post 3244, doing so is also against forum rules.

Will you now please delete or amend that post or I will have to report the action.

Really? Tell you what pal I'll alter it but don't bother replying to my posts again OK?

Nitpicking jobsworths are something I can do without, goodbye and good luck.

p.s. I love the probably more now - on what grounds to you suggest that? Or is another piece of made up stats?

It was in the Daily Express: it must be true...

Bottom line is the fabled world of unbridled free trade is an ideological fantasy in the heads of some xenophobic middle aged men. That isn't going to change, and the collision with reality is going to be spectacular. We can't avoid that now. We've started the process and the collision needs to happen to return us all to normality.

---------- Post added 17-06-2017 at 18:32 ----------

Really? Tell you what pal I'll alter it but don't bother replying to my posts again OK?

Nitpicking jobsworths are something I can do without, goodbye and good luck.

Yes really, its down to copyright so posts should not be amended in anyway and as you are new maybe you should take some time to read the rules.

BTW you still could have included those bits but not attributed them to me.

Yes really, its down to copyright so posts should not be amended in anyway and as you are new maybe you should take some time to read the rules.

BTW you still could have included those bits but not attributed them to me.

And all you had to say was " do you realise that your reply to me in post 3244 is against forum rules? You need to alter it "

To which I would have replied " No sorry about that I didn't know, I'll change it ".

Instead of " I will have to report the action ".

Can't be doing with people who run to the mods at every excuse without sorting it out themselves.

And all you had to say was " do you realise that your reply to me in post 3244 is against forum rules? You need to alter it "

To which I would have replied " No sorry about that I didn't know, I'll change it ".

Instead of " I will have to report the action ".

If you care to read my post again I asked you politely to delete or amend it first or I will have to report the action. Personally I cant be doing with people running to the mods either that's why I gave you a simple choice resulting in us sorting it out first. BTW since being on SF I have never reported anyone to the mods, and you should have read the rules when you signed up and know whats what.

Can't be doing with people who run to the mods at every excuse without sorting it out themselves.

As you have only just joined and have only had 218 posts how many times has that happened to you.. :suspect:

Edited by apelike

Bottom line is the fabled world of unbridled free trade is an ideological fantasy in the heads of some xenophobic middle aged men. That isn't going to change, and the collision with reality is going to be spectacular. We can't avoid that now. We've started the process and the collision needs to happen to return us all to normality.

Speaking of ideological fantasies.. what do you think the Single Market is? It's a pipe dream that has never materialised.

And what facts do you base that assertion on - the assertion that they were uninformed?

No I base it on the same assertion as has been applied to this referendum. In both cases it was yes or no. It may well be that some people never bothered to go over details with a fine tooth comb but that's how it is with a lot of people, Yes or No, no one on either side has to justify their choice.

I don't care who voted remain nor why. Had remain have been triumphant I still wouldn't have needed to know.

The referendum has zero to do with an MP's own feelings on the matter, it's a public vote.

If you care to read my post again I asked you politely to delete or amend it first or I will have to report the action. Personally I cant be doing with people running to the mods either that's why I gave you a simple choice resulting in us sorting it out first. BTW since being on SF I have never reported anyone to the mods, and you should have read the rules when you signed up and know whats what.

As you have only just joined and have only had 218 posts how many times has that happened to you.. :suspect:

Point being there was no need to bring up the subject of reporting anyone was there?

Had my response to your request to change it been " sod off" then fair enough, but it wouldn't have been, and it could all have been sorted out amicably

This may come as a shock to you but there are quite a number of other forums both political and sporting among them.

Got into a number of heated arguments over the years but never been reported to the mods or reported anyone to them on any other forum.

As you say I've only just joined this forum and its already happened to me once, when a keyboard warrior decided to insult me by calling me a liar and when I called him on it he ran whining to the mods like a little girl.

Your immediate reference to reporting me gave me the clear impression that it's a regular occurrence on Sheffield Forum.

Hopefully I'm wrong on that one.

retep - you don't understand the numbers do you?

Less than 38% pf the whole of the UK voted to leave.

p.s. I love the probably more now - on what grounds to you suggest that? Or is another piece of made up stats?

And won

52%

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-live-results-and-analysis