The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

makes you wonder why we have a trade deficit with the EU:rolleyes:

Remainers lost in the referendum and lost in the election get over it.

Not one single EU member has the UK as its main trading partner. Only three, Ireland, Poland and Cyprus have the UK as a second trading partner.

In other words the EU is our main trading partner, but we are not its main trading partner, and we are not in that position with any other of the 27 EU countries, that's the problem with dealing as a single entity in opposition to a group.

We import £18 Billion from other EU countries,unless we are able to carry on regardless without that material then we are going to continue to require it.

We are also having to buy it with a devalued pound, how does that place us in a strong position? :rolleyes:

Brexiteers with their ill-informed grasp on the real world have damaged this country and we are all going to be worse off as a result.

And you won't be able to get over it.

Not one single EU member has the UK as its main trading partner. Only three, Ireland, Poland and Cyprus have the UK as a second trading partner.

In other words the EU is our main trading partner, but we are not its main trading partner, and we are not in that position with any other of the 27 EU countries, that's the problem with dealing as a single entity in opposition to a group.

We import £18 Billion from other EU countries,unless we are able to carry on regardless without that material then we are going to continue to require it.

We are also having to buy it with a devalued pound, how does that place us in a strong position? :rolleyes:

Brexiteers with their ill-informed grasp on the real world have damaged this country and we are all going to be worse off as a result.

And you won't be able to get over it.

The EU is not the only shopping centre:rolleyes:

What parliament has done in the Brexit debate is abrogate its responsibility to the generally uninformed.

It was the generally uninformed that kept us in last time though. The whole point of a referendum is to invite the general public to making a choice without the possibility of being misrepresented by an MP.

It isn't the same as represented democracy whereby the MP acts on behalf (or should).

It was the generally uninformed that kept us in last time though.

As I recall, they made more of a point about informing the uninformed that time. And less of a point of misinforming the uninformed.

It was the generally uninformed that kept us in last time though.

And what facts do you base that assertion on - the assertion that they were uninformed?

The EU is not the only shopping centre:rolleyes:

No it isn't, and with our monopoly money and their knowledge of the situation that we've placed ourselves in, I'm sure we'll be able to drive a hard bargain. :roll:

Good luck with buying your Mercedes, BMW and Audi's elsewhere.

The electricity which we import from France and the Netherlands might be a bit of a problem too.

As the French own a considerable share of our power supply industry through EDF ( and the Chinese and South Koreans are getting in on the act ) we are reliant on outside forces anyway, it's the way of the world today, and no amount of 'Little Englander' wishful thinking will alter that.

The Hinkley Point construction is to be paid for by the French state owned EDF and the Chinese state owned CGN.

The British car industry is owned by foreign countries.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=15&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjlztSu7MTUAhUBD8AKHfElB78QFgh5MA4&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.borro.com%2Fuk%2Fborro-blog%2Fbritish-car-brands-owners&usg=AFQjCNESjzTYjw8_hVG_ANiXqMSHrLK1Ag

The British steel industry has been owned by foreign owners ranging from Swedes, Finns and Indians for some years.

Our shipbuilding industry went down the plughole years ago together with our mining industry.

All of this took place on the watch of those people in the 'establishment' that Brexiteers wanted to 'Take back control ' for.

Did you think it through?

What am I saying? Of course you didn't.

No it isn't, and with our monopoly money and their knowledge of the situation that we've placed ourselves in, I'm sure we'll be able to drive a hard bargain. :roll:

Good luck with buying your Mercedes, BMW and Audi's elsewhere.

The electricity which we import from France and the Netherlands might be a bit of a problem too.

As the French own a considerable share of our power supply industry through EDF ( and the Chinese and South Koreans are getting in on the act ) we are reliant on outside forces anyway, it's the way of the world today, and no amount of 'Little Englander' wishful thinking will alter that.

The Hinkley Point construction is to be paid for by the French state owned EDF and the Chinese state owned CGN.

The British car industry is owned by foreign countries.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=15&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjlztSu7MTUAhUBD8AKHfElB78QFgh5MA4&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.borro.com%2Fuk%2Fborro-blog%2Fbritish-car-brands-owners&usg=AFQjCNESjzTYjw8_hVG_ANiXqMSHrLK1Ag

The British steel industry has been owned by foreign owners ranging from Swedes, Finns and Indians for some years.

Our shipbuilding industry went down the plughole years ago together with our mining industry.

All of this took place on the watch of those people in the 'establishment' that Brexiteers wanted to 'Take back control ' for.

Did you think it through?

What am I saying? Of course you didn't.

I'm sure they won't miss our trade:rolleyes:

I'm sure they won't miss our trade:rolleyes:

You really don't get it do you?

Yes, they will hopefully be pragmatic and do a deal which we can live with, but it won't be as good as what we have now.

If it was it would make membership of the EU meaningless, and the rest of the countries involved are pro the EU whilst recognizing its faults.

None of them are daft enough to damage their economy to 'take back control' which they couldn't achieve anyway.

Any agreement we reach will come with terms and conditions as part of the deal.

We are going to end up worse off economically and with no input or power of veto over future EU proposals.

Because our imports are spread between 27 different countries we don't have the bargaining power that some people seem to think we have.

If the EU really wanted to do us serious harm they could do so. Yes it would cause them a little discomfort spread by 27 but they are the wealthiest Trade Bloc on the planet and could handle it.

We couldn't, we export 44% of our products and services to them and some of our imports from them are vital to keep the lights on and business going.

On Monday we are going to start negotiations with no clear plan of action and with David Davis, Baroness Anelay of St Johns, Robin Walker and Steve Baker representing our interests.

No, I have no idea who the last three are either, and no faith in Davis being able to find his way to the meeting room on time with a clean shirt on.

Would you care to explain exactly how an MP is supposed to represent the interests of everyone who voted for him/her?

I think you will find that the referendum was not done on a political seat basis but was an overall vote with just 2 questions. The MP's then take that advise and act upon it regardless of their own views. Not forgetting that the main parties also stated they would act on the majority vote and back the decision, and that was before any vote was taken.

If you vote for a particular party are you supposed to mindmeld with every other voter and all resort to group think?

See above ^^

You may not necessarily agree with every decision but you need to accept that your MP is payed to know more about the subject than you.

That is just a false assumption as anyone can be an MP and it is not based on intelligence or knowledge but who is more likely to win a seat and toe the party line. Does a young and recently elected MP know more as I very much doubt it.

What parliament has done in the Brexit debate is abrogate its responsibility to the generally uninformed.

If that is the case then that obviously must also include every voter including you.

I think you will find that the referendum was not done on a political seat basis but was an overall vote with just 2 questions. The MP's then take that advise and act upon it regardless of their own views. Not forgetting that the main parties also stated they would act on the majority vote and back the decision, and that was before any vote was taken.

See above ^^

That is just a false assumption as anyone can be an MP and it is not based on intelligence or knowledge but who is more likely to win a seat and toe the party line. Does a young and recently elected MP know more as I very much doubt it.

If that is the case then that obviously must also include every voter including you.

Yes it does, I contend that I looked in to the whys and wherefores a damn sight more than many people, but I don't claim to be an expert on the subject. Which is why parliament should have made the decision as that's what we employ them for!

Edited by Carlinate

You really don't get it do you?

Yes, they will hopefully be pragmatic and do a deal which we can live with, but it won't be as good as what we have now.

If it was it would make membership of the EU meaningless, and the rest of the countries involved are pro the EU whilst recognizing its faults.

None of them are daft enough to damage their economy to 'take back control' which they couldn't achieve anyway.

Any agreement we reach will come with terms and conditions as part of the deal.

We are going to end up worse off economically and with no input or power of veto over future EU proposals.

Because our imports are spread between 27 different countries we don't have the bargaining power that some people seem to think we have.

If the EU really wanted to do us serious harm they could do so. Yes it would cause them a little discomfort spread by 27 but they are the wealthiest Trade Bloc on the planet and could handle it.

We couldn't, we export 44% of our products and services to them and some of our imports from them are vital to keep the lights on and business going.

On Monday we are going to start negotiations with no clear plan of action and with David Davis, Baroness Anelay of St Johns, Robin Walker and Steve Baker representing our interests.

No, I have no idea who the last three are either, and no faith in Davis being able to find his way to the meeting room on time with a clean shirt on.

Why do you think they want the UK to stay?

Well be lucky if we export 30%, it may go through the EU, but not all of it stays there.

A bit like there sanctions on Russia it does the EU more harm than good.

But you carry on believing them if it makes you feel good, 52% don't agree with you, probably more now.

But you carry on believing them if it makes you feel good, 52% don't agree with you, probably more now.

retep - you don't understand the numbers do you?

Less than 38% pf the whole of the UK voted to leave.

p.s. I love the probably more now - on what grounds to you suggest that? Or is another piece of made up stats?