The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

Nigel, did you not see my question ?

Oh yes, this is it :

Quote from the BBC website during the campaign :

"They [the Leave campaign] say that because of the strength of the UK economy and the need for EU countries to continue trading freely with the UK, Britain would be in a very strong position to get a deal that exempted the UK from free movement and single market regulations while allowing free access to the single market."

Can I just check, are you still saying that ?

Lastly, even if one was to accept your position that giving the UK access to the single market without paying in anything or accepting free movement wouldn't mean other EU members would want the same thing, what would Switzerland and Norway think ? What would they then demand ? Or are you still saying the same (rather arrogant) thing the Leave lot said in the campaign "we`re more important than those countries", so we`ll get what we want.

Nigel, did you not see my question ?

yes I saw it, but did not understand the point you were making.

Norway and Switzerland are de facto part members of the SEM. Their relationship with the EU goes beyond access to the SEM. They pay heavily for it, which is up to them, but I suspect that many Norwegians and Swiss think they are being heavily ripped off by the EU.

yes I saw it, but did not understand the point you were making.

Norway and Switzerland are de facto part members of the SEM. Their relationship with the EU goes beyond access to the SEM. They pay heavily for it, which is up to them, but I suspect that many Norwegians and Swiss think they are being heavily ripped off by the EU.

This bit :

"They [the Leave campaign] say that because of the strength of the UK economy and the need for EU countries to continue trading freely with the UK, Britain would be in a very strong position to get a deal that exempted the UK from free movement and single market regulations while allowing free access to the single market."

This bit :

I am.

Subject to substantial clarification on the phrase "free access to the single market".

I am.

Subject to substantial clarification on the phrase "free access to the single market".

What clarification are you waiting to hear?

Yes, and they pay heavily for it in so many ways, not just in budgetary contributions, but in a sheaf of limitations on their ability to pursue economic and other policies which would be in their best interests (e.g. to set their own tariffs and pursue their own trade deals).
Platinum > gold > silver > bronze membership > look-but-don't-touch visitor > refused access.

Platinum > gold > silver > bronze membership fee level > look-but-don't-touch visitor (free or nominal, say WTO MFN tariffs)> refused access (free).

Do you golf?

Do your golf club's rules maintain any benefits and advantages to ex-members, after they stop paying membership fees?

Do your golf club's rules allow founding members to poo on the green if they want, but not lesser members?

Seems to me that only the simplest of analogies seems capable of getting through your voter regret bias.

Edited by L00b

We're well aware that you'd prefer to retain the system where we pay them billions of pounds per year so that they can sell stuff to us.

We're well aware that you'd prefer to retain the system where we pay them billions of pounds per year so that they can sell stuff to us.

Nothing preventing the UK from walking away to WTO for free right now.

Nothing preventing the UK from walking away to WTO for free right now.

Why not see if they're up for something more sensible:

We don't want collective government but we offer reduced (compared to WTO) trade barriers. If you agree we'll all be better off. If your pride or internal politics prevents it, then good luck to you. Simples.

How much do you think the UK is going to continue paying per year, so that they can sell stuff to the UK indeed, and reciprocally?

Multiple choice answer: you can quote Hammond, Davis or the Committee MPs.

:lol:

Why not see if they're up for something more sensible:

We don't want collective government but we offer reduced (compared to WTO) trade barriers. If you agree we'll all be better off. If your pride or internal politics prevents it, then good luck to you. Simples.

Sounds to me like May promised Nissan,Sunderland, tarriff free trading,what else would have made them promise to commit to stay there?,How will they respond to having any trade barriers?

Sounds to me like May promised Nissan,Sunderland, tarriff free trading,what else would have made them promise to commit to stay there?,How will they respond to having any trade barriers?

Nissan have already said they'll “re-evaluate the situation” once any brexit deal is finalised. Detail at Nissan will review its Sunderland plant after Brexit, boss says.