The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

Whenever anyone says "make the best of it" it's usually 'cos something bad is happening eg "We were on holiday,it rained but we made the best of it" etc

From the Longman dictionary..

Make the best of..

"to accept a situation that is not very good, and do whatever you can to make it better"

Or it's like when that annoying family down the street go camping in Cornwall for two weeks and it rains the whole time and then you have a quiet chuckle to yourself when they say they 'made the best of it'.

Only this time they've forced you to go on holiday with them and the holiday is going to last forever.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39471443

I can't understand why Hammond,Carney and co are in India,trying to drum up trade with them.

The jobs and trade are already here,so why risk shutting down the EU trade and putting up bordrers and tarriffs and then go looking for it elsewhere,it's almost like they are trying to justify Brexit and the importance of their own jobs,destroying a part that is already working and then trying to replace it in places like India.

Also,Hammond is saying they are wanting to help rebuild the infrastructure of India with UK finance,how does that help the ones trapped on low wage and benefit dependent jobs in the UK,which is the whole point of Brexut?..........why are they not trying to build up the infrastructure of the UK and the like of the forgotten and run down coastal towns that UK governments have allowed to go to ruin?...............how are finance companies lending to India going to help the people in these places get hi tech, good paying jobs,housing and a good town to live in instead of bedsits and boarded up shops?

Mr Hammond added: "The UK is perfectly placed to be India's financial partner of choice, helping it to raise the finance needed for its continued rapid growth and my message will be 'make in India, finance in the UK'.

"Our innovative markets have helped support the development of whole new product classes such as masala bonds that will support India's transformation."

Hairyloon said it to me, when I was advocating remaining in the EU. it was said in very unpleasant terms as well.

Think about it, if one doesn`t agree with Brexit, or even that the Referendum was honest (as I don`t), what can one say which is "positive" ?

It seems to me this "positive" request is simply a request for everything on here to be Pro Brexit.....

Hairyloon said it to me, when I was advocating remaining in the EU. it was said in very unpleasant terms as well.

I still deny it: it is not the kind of thing I would tend to say, and I hadn't noticed you as the type I would say it to if it was.

I am moved to point out that the nature of the board is such that a post may not necessarily relate to the post immediately above it.

---------- Post added 04-04-2017 at 09:39 ----------

Think about it, if one doesn`t agree with Brexit, or even that the Referendum was honest (as I don`t), what can one say which is "positive" ?

The positive is that it might just force us to force them to do the reforms that we desperately need.

It is becoming increasingly clear that EU 27 (here meaning the member states and the EU institutions) are pursuing a policy based on vindictiveness and selfishness towards the UK. I never expected anything less, given that the lofty ideals of the EU project are mainly moonshine, to cover the self-interests of the member states. I hope at some point that the Prime Minister will have the courage to walk away from the bad deal which the other member states will present her with. EU 27 will, predictably, be too short-sighted and rigid in its thinking to realise that its demands will in the long run be bad for the member states as well as for the UK (in fact, probably even worse for the former).

No NF, that is not what you said before. Every man and his dog said the EU wouldn`t be of a mind to give us a good deal, it`d be illogical for them to do so. But you said in a post last year* that the UK have always been semi detached from the EU so were actually fairly pleased to be rid of us, so, contrary to logic, we`d get a deal as good, or almost as good, as being members.

* Very annoyingly I can`t find the original post, is that because the topic has been closed so the search functions don`t work fully ? Anyway, it was in response to me saying there`s no chance of a good trade deal (heavily implying more or less a free trade deal), and never was. So everything Leave said during the referendum campaign was another very serious lie.

---------- Post added 04-04-2017 at 09:48 ----------

Its not wishful thinking at all,the eu export more to us than we export to them,so a deal will be made to suit both parties.

That`s what the Leave campaign said in the referendum campaign. They also went further saying we`d get a good deal (implying free trade) when no other non member gets that "because we`re more important than any of them". Anyone with half a brain knew that was rubbish but they kept saying it anyway, and enough people believed it (along with the NHS £350 million a week) to swing a close vote. Brexiteers may not like that fact, but it`s a fact none the less.

That said, I could be wrong so I say this (again) :

Let`s come to an agreement shall we ? If the UK gets its free trade deal and it doesn`t cost them anything so the NHS can get its promised £350 million a week, you quote this post and I`ll publically apologise. In fact you can PM me if I don`t see the post where you ask me to do that. Don`t get me wrong I`ll still think leaving the EU was the wrong decision because for me it`s not just about the economy, but I`ll apologise for calling the close referendum result a democratic farce.

But on the other hand, if the UK gets neither the promise free trade deal nor the NHS gets its £350 million a week, will you apologise ? Because, let`s face it, if people didn`t believe that`s what we`d get the referendum result would definitely have been different, and you know that`s true just as much as I do, after all only 2% would have had to vote the other way.

It will be noted that none of the Brexiteers have offered to apologise if the campaign they supported is proved to have been lies.

Edited by Justin Smith

I still deny it: it is not the kind of thing I would tend to say, and I hadn't noticed you as the type I would say it to if it was.

I am moved to point out that the nature of the board is such that a post may not necessarily relate to the post immediately above it.

---------- Post added 04-04-2017 at 09:39 ----------

The positive is that it might just force us to force them to do the reforms that we desperately need.

Just to clarify (and i hasten to add that it does not bother me in the least) the post is question are 684, 685, 686, and 688.

it just seemed a strange reply to a person who was backing the poster up.

But it is only a forum after all, let us not be too concerned about it. :cool::D

PS, let us not be sidetracked, keep the heat on the brexiters.

They are sounding more and more like El Sid, the character created by Alan Coren in his brilliant send up of the Englishman abroad. :)

Edited by Jacktari

Your all stark raving mad still, it's like watching a load of dogs getting ready for crufts, all this crowing and preening going off and nobody still has any idea if this is going to be bad or not.

Here's an idea, how about you all stop jostling for the line, wait and see what is actually agreed and then debate on the ACTUAL consequences of the UK voting to leave the EU,

There could well be some humble pie to be had on both sides. There's been about a million pages and a trillion posts on it, take a breath and let's wait and see.

Just to clarify (and i hasten to add that it does not bother me in the least) the post is question are 685...

Yeah, that one wasn't aimed at you and doesn't say what you said it said.

ETA, I'd like to add that I generally pay very little attention to who it is that is posting: play the ball, not the man.

Edited by Hairyloon

It seems to me this "positive" request is simply a request for everything on here to be Pro Brexit.....

Same here:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/04/tory-mps-disown-negative-brexit-findings-by-own-committee

The pro Brexit Tories have basically put their fingers in their ears and started shouting,la-la-la-we-aren't- listening.

Tory MPs disown 'negative' Brexit findings by own committee

Labour MP Pat McFadden claims pro-Brexit colleagues are ‘annoyed by the facts’ as report criticises idea that ‘no deal is better than bad deal’

Same here:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/04/tory-mps-disown-negative-brexit-findings-by-own-committee

The pro Brexit Tories have basically put their fingers in their ears and started shouting,la-la-la-we-aren't- listening.

Tory MPs disown 'negative' Brexit findings by own committee

Labour MP Pat McFadden claims pro-Brexit colleagues are ‘annoyed by the facts’ as report criticises idea that ‘no deal is better than bad deal’

This is not the "tory mps" negative brexit findings. It's parliament's. It is those of the select committee of parliament, the purpose of which is to keep the government under pressure on the issue. I have a lot of respect for their chair, but there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the government disagreeing with the views of a select committee.

Your all stark raving mad still, it's like watching a load of dogs getting ready for crufts, all this crowing and preening going off and nobody still has any idea if this is going to be bad or not.

Here's an idea, how about you all stop jostling for the line, wait and see what is actually agreed and then debate on the ACTUAL consequences of the UK voting to leave the EU,

There could well be some humble pie to be had on both sides. There's been about a million pages and a trillion posts on it, take a breath and let's wait and see.

Let`s be honest, he/she has a point, certainly about what it looks like is actually being negotiated at least.

I would add that, if either side is proved to have lied, they should apologise, as I have offered to do on multiple occasions, if the UK gets a free trade deal and can pay £350 million a week into the NHS.

Edited by Justin Smith

Or it's like when that annoying family down the street go camping in Cornwall for two weeks and it rains the whole time and then you have a quiet chuckle to yourself when they say they 'made the best of it'.

Only this time they've forced you to go on holiday with them and the holiday is going to last forever.

oooo, you meanie. :)