The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

The man in the street decided by the referendum to leave, get over it.

The more intelligent side won.

The people who though they had nothing to lose won. I can understand that.

The paradox is they have a lot to lose. The men who made millions of people's lives more difficult - Ian Duncan Smith etc... - are the ones they've put their trust in.

The young, the Scots, the Northern Irish too, they all rejected the leave message by a majority. They have a lot to lose too. The young will be angry, the Scots will leave and probably the Northern Irish too.

This is the special thing about Brexit. It is going to aggravate leave and remain voters in equal measure while the rich walk away with billions of pounds. There's nothing intelligent in supporting this societal and economic mayhem. It's potty.

The people who though they had nothing to lose won. I can understand that.

The paradox is they have a lot to lose. The men who made millions of people's lives more difficult - Ian Duncan Smith etc... - are the ones they've put their trust in.

The young, the Scots, the Northern Irish too, they all rejected the leave message by a majority. They have a lot to lose too. The young will be angry, the Scots will leave and probably the Northern Irish too.

This is the special thing about Brexit. It is going to aggravate leave and remain voters in equal measure while the rich walk away with billions of pounds. There's nothing intelligent in supporting this societal and economic mayhem. It's potty.

Blimey. All I wanted was for Britain to make its own laws within its own country.

Blimey. All I wanted was for Britain to make its own laws within its own country.

That might be what you wanted but it's not what you voted for.

Are you serious? That is all it was about?

What a mess you and people like you have caused. We'll still be subject to EU laws and regulations. And the sovereignty argument is destroyed already by government trying to exercise executive powers with reference to the sovereign bodies that represent us.

Seriously, what a stupid mess.

Are you serious? That is all it was about?

What a mess you and people like you have caused. We'll still be subject to EU laws and regulations. And the sovereignty argument is destroyed already by government trying to exercise executive powers with reference to the sovereign bodies that represent us.

Seriously, what a stupid mess.

Its potentially dangerous to be part of a club that is very hard to leave and you have no control of its overall composition and nature.

What if one day most of the EU member state governments and MEP's were mostly comprised of Far right parties/people? would you be so happy to be part of that, subject to its laws and rules etc?

Edited by Guest

Its potentially dangerous to be part of a club that is very hard to leave and you have no control of its overall composition and nature.

What if one day most of the EU member state governments and MEP's were mostly comprised of Far right parties/people? would you be so happy to be part of that, subject to its laws and rules etc?

We are far more right leaning compared to the rest of Europe as shown by recent elections.

---------- Post added 01-04-2017 at 13:31 ----------

You know the EU is a democracy right and that we have our own elected MEPs in the European Parliament?

It is garbage statements by people like you that misinform the uneducated like crazy. Do you know how often the UK has been voted against in terms of legislation passed since 1999? I bet you don't because you make it sound like the other 27 EU states are always against us. Just 2% of the time the U.K. did not get its way. Which is not exactly earth shattering. You are never going to have it your own way all the time when 27 other countries are involved. So people who are banging on about wanting to make our own laws are very ill informed as we already do the vast majority of the time on a pan European level.

Really Justin, you could have fooled me, your reaction to Brexit is like that of a spoilt child who can't get his own way, and your irrationality about what papers people buy say's it all, the UK is leaving the EU buckle up for the ride it's not the end of the world.

Oddly enough the arrogance of the Remain stance was what cost them in the end, the average man in the street gave a big two fingers to them not because they read the DM etc but because their opinions have been ignored for too long. The so called benefits of being in the EU were never sold to the man in the street, if they were so good why not ?

There are two separate points here :

1 - It`s not like a spoilt child at all. I`m a hard core idealist and that is what it is about. Let`s come to an agreement shall we ? If the UK gets its free trade deal and it doesn`t cost them anything so the NHS can get its promised £350 million a week, you quote this post and I`ll publically apologise. In fact you can PM me if I don`t see the post where you ask me to do that. Don`t get me wrong I`ll still think leaving the EU was the wrong decision because for me it`s not just about the economy, but I`ll apologise for calling the close referendum result a democratic farce.

But on the other hand, if the UK gets neither the promise free trade deal nor the NHS gets its £350 million a week, will you apologise ? Because, let`s face it, if people didn`t believe that`s what we`d get the referendum result would definitely have been different, and you know that`s true just as much as I do, after all only 2% would have had to vote the other way.

2 - When people read papers like the Daily Mail and Express it`s perfectly rational to worry about it. Those papers are biased and inaccurate therefore their readers have a biased and inaccurate view of the world. Those very same people vote, and that affects me. Don`t get me wrong, in a free country the papers shouldn`t be banned, but the readers should constantly be reminded that they`re reading biased inaccurate news.

Edited by Justin Smith

This isnt about insults. The more intelligent voted to remain because they are the ones that are better paid and have monetary interests in the stock market and frequent international travelers.

I don`t see how that could happen, but if it did the answer is no, I`d want to leave. There, I`ve proved I`m not as extreme as Unbeliever, Nigel Fargate, Gamston etc who all said, "nothing would make them feel we shouldn`t have left". That specifically even included if the UK leaving the EU fatally weakened it, it then broke up and there was a war between 2 or more of its ex members. I`d say that scenario was about as likely as the one you`ve postulated, but notice how I answered your question honestly and seriously, unlike what most of the Brexiteers did to mine.

---------- Post added 01-04-2017 at 13:42 ----------

Can we quote you on that if and when we don`t get what the Leave campaign said we would ?

Incidentally, you`re incorrect, generally speaking the more educated voted to remain, and that`s got to tell you something.

It is really easy to leave- art-50, negotiate what is owed on both sides and of you go.

What is making it difficult for the UK is that they want to leave and have a better deal.

Edited by esme
Quote tags

I fear you will be disappointed: they won't squirm, they will blame the EU and the negative attitude from the likes of you.

Once you have accepted that lies are the normal way to do politics, the facts become increasingly irrelevant.

Sadly I think you`re right, even though the EU playing hardball is totally to be expected and every man and his dog was saying that during and after the campaign. In fact I`d think it irrational if they didn`t.

Also, sadly, it certainly won`t be my fault if we don`t get the "good deal" the Leave campaign promised us, there is absolutely nothing I can do to influence it either way. And that`s probably a good thing, because I`m still so mad I want those who lied (sorry "campaigned") to Leave to suffer. Truthful democracy demands it. But I realise me and my family would also suffer, which is so unfair. It`d be more equitable if it was only those who voted to leave suffered.

This isnt about insults. The more intelligent voted to remain because they are the ones that are better paid and have monetary interests in the stock market and frequent international travelers.

Oh dear, I voted remain, a pensioner (state pension), not enough money to invest in the stock market and haven't been abroad for a long time, though I did when I was younger. I pity the next generation.