The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

That's a shame. I was rather looking forward to her having to deal with our security services and police arguing the EU side. ;)

My last comment was about how easily everyone has been manipulated through the compliant media to SPECULATE on a subject not one person alive can answer completely, a bit like forecasting the lottery numbers win.

I think you should look up what speculate actually means and in any case, how about those who were not manipulated by the media?

As for me, I voted leave and glad Brexit has now finally kicked off.

Before anyone starts spouting off about the EU unfairly bringing up Gibraltar in the Brexit negotiations, can we just remind ourselves that it is Spain doing that, because Spain is a member of the EU and therefore its views are listened to and acted on within the EU. You know, just like the Brexiteers said doesn`t happen with members......

I have to say I`m loving all this. I`m really looking forward to the excuses and all the squirming that the Brexiteers will be doing over the next two years. In the meantime I think we should all be digging out all the quotes from the Brexiteers on here so we can requote them over the next couple of years.

I`m still of the view that even worse than the NHS £350 million lie was the one about the UK will get a free trade deal with the EU "because they sell more to us than we sell to them", and what was the other one ? Oh yes : "we`re not Switzerland so we`ll get what we want".

Before anyone starts spouting off about the EU unfairly bringing up Gibraltar in the Brexit negotiations, can we just remind ourselves that it is Spain doing that, because Spain is a member of the EU and therefore its views are listened to and acted on within the EU. You know, just like the Brexiteers said doesn`t happen with members......

I have to say I`m loving all this. I`m really looking forward to the excuses and all the squirming that the Brexiteers will be doing over the next two years. In the meantime I think we should all be digging out all the quotes from the Brexiteers on here so we can requote them over the next couple of years.

I`m still of the view that even worse than the NHS £350 million lie was the one about the UK will get a free trade deal with the EU "because they sell more to us than we sell to them", and what was the other one ? Oh yes : "we`re not Switzerland so we`ll get what we want".

Really Justin, you could have fooled me, your reaction to Brexit is like that of a spoilt child who can't get his own way, and your irrationality about what papers people buy say's it all, the UK is leaving the EU buckle up for the ride it's not the end of the world.

Oddly enough the arrogance of the Remain stance was what cost them in the end, the average man in the street gave a big two fingers to them not because they read the DM etc but because their opinions have been ignored for too long. The so called benefits of being in the EU were never sold to the man in the street, if they were so good why not ?

Really Justin, you could have fooled me, your reaction to Brexit is like that of a spoilt child who can't get his own way, and your irrationality about what papers people buy say's it all, the UK is leaving the EU buckle up for the ride it's not the end of the world.

Oddly enough the arrogance of the Remain stance was what cost them in the end, the average man in the street gave a big two fingers to them not because they read the DM etc but because their opinions have been ignored for too long. The so called benefits of being in the EU were never sold to the man in the street, if they were so good why not ?

From the disaster now facing us, it is obvious we should have continued to ignore 'the man in the street'.

Decisions of this nature should not be left to 'the man in the street' or indeed to any other decision than a General Election, and full parliamentary debate.

I have to say I`m loving all this. I`m really looking forward to the excuses and all the squirming that the Brexiteers will be doing over the next two years...

I fear you will be disappointed: they won't squirm, they will blame the EU and the negative attitude from the likes of you.

Once you have accepted that lies are the normal way to do politics, the facts become increasingly irrelevant.

---------- Post added 01-04-2017 at 10:03 ----------

Oddly enough the arrogance of the Remain stance was what cost them in the end...

No, not the arrogance of the stance, but the arrogance of the leaders of the campaign. And the other thing, the word for which I cannot call to mind.

the average man in the street gave a big two fingers to them not because they read the DM etc but because their opinions have been ignored for too long

I don't know about the average man in the street, but the electorate overall gave a big two fingers here, because it was the only opportunity they were ever likely to be given to do so.

It was more about the giving of the finger than the question on the paper.

Completely agree. The uninformed simply don't understand that we have far more to lose if we don't have access to the single market. I have said this before that the EU27 can recover from any lack of trade far more easily than we can by not trading with them.

http://www.businessinsider.com/berenberg-eu-has-greater-bargaining-power-than-uk-in-brexit-talks-2017-3

Also it makes absolutely no sense for the EU to give us a deal that would be remotely better than if we stayed. That £50bn bill we need to pay, well wouldn't it better if we spent it on the NHS? Hell, we could buy the Dreadnought submarines with that or the two nuclear reactors at Hinkley Point C with plenty of change to spare for that. If the Chancellor thinks he can get away with £3.5bn than he is deluded like a great many of you. That £50bn is already a compromised figure.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/germanys-approach-to-britains-brexit-article-50-negotiations-2017-3

Considering our net contributions to the EU is £6.5bn a year which gives us access to the single market.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/how-much-do-we-spend-on-the-eu-and-what-else-could-it-pay-for/

That is about as much as Norway pays per capita as we do and we got a lot more benefits than the Norwegians have.

Edited by ez8004

Completely agree. The uninformed simply don't understand that we have far more to lose if we don't have access to the single market.

Which reminds me a point that I have not seen raised enough: during the debates, many MP's stood up and said that they would not claim to know better than the public, or words to that effect.

There are two points here, firstly that "the public" is of only average intelligence, and I would like to hope that most of our MP's are significantly above average.

Secondly, it is their job to know better. The whole point of a representative democracy is that the representatives are properly informed so that the electorate do not need to be.

It is fair enough to seek the opinion of the public through an advisory referendum, but all of the relevant factors need to be considered when interpreting the result.

Up to now we have had wishfull thinking by the British government. Free trade deal no problem, nothing to pay. Like the referendum and the way it was fought the government seem to me slightly out of touch with reality.

I understand the brexiteers that the EU is a waste of time, stupid rules, stupid judges, etc.

If you think it is that bad, why would you want to make a deal with them.

Sinds the eighties I have wondered when all the industries disappeared, what are they going to do, to create new employment for the working classes so they can earn a crust.

In the last 40 years not a lot has been done. Are we all dreaming of the days before the EU, I can remember them very well. The UK was called the sick man of europe, outdated industrie's, no investment. The employment situation was that good that out of my class of 33 in Sheffield there are 8 living in the UK, because there was just no work and no future. I have more chance of a school reunion in Australia than the UK.

But I accept that that you think it is all the falt of this stupid, rule making body called the EU, you must be better off without it.

As half the people are of below average intelligence, are these the same half who voted for brexit? :suspect::D

As half the people are of below average intelligence, are these the same half who voted for brexit? :suspect::D

That oversimplifies things, but it does illustrate a fundamental flaw in the principles of direct democracy.

It is ironic that that the group of people with lower educational attainment tended to vote for leave. It is this group who is at most risk of being worse off if the government can pull this off. Well, if it all falls badly, you can't say they didn't get get what they deserve.