The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

Guest makapaka

The EU is going to dictate the terms of our leaving not us.

It's going to be bad.

Whether or not the decision is proven right eventually who knows but it's definitely going to be bad for a good while.

But you don't want it, so whats your point?

Don't want what?

To be a citizen of the country I was born in, grew up in and the country I love.

Because I don't buy into the Brexiteers half-baked fantasies about the future of the UK doesn't mean I don't want to belong here.

There's nothing wrong with somebody being a citizen of the EU and of an independent UK. Citizenship of the EU comes with far less conflict of interest than of nations and we handle people who have citizenship of a second nation routinely.

Don't want what?

To be a citizen of the country I was born in, grew up in and the country I love.

Because I don't buy into the Brexiteers half-baked fantasies about the future of the UK doesn't mean I don't want to belong here.

If you love the country so much why would you want it ruled by a foreign power?

If you love the country so much why would you want it ruled by a foreign power?

The EU isn't a foreign power

If you love your country so much why do you want to destroy its economy and break up the union?

The EU isn't a foreign power

If you love your country so much why do you want to destroy its economy and break up the union?

That's the job of your EU mates, they've shown their true colours as have you.

That's the job of your EU mates, they've shown their true colours as have you.

You can attack me all you want but the fact is that things get real today.

Your lot have to deliver a deal that doesn't wreck the economy and doesn't break up the country. The EU can't be blamed for any of that any more. It's all on the Brexiteers now.

Your lot have to deliver a deal that doesn't wreck the economy and doesn't break up the country. The EU can't be blamed for any of that any more. It's all on the Brexiteers now.

No, they can leave us to drop out without a deal, then the blame will fall on Corbyn for blocking all the other deals.

No, they can leave us to drop out without a deal, then the blame will fall on Corbyn for blocking all the other deals.

Or they'll still blame the EU for everything that doesn't go their way

Here we go with Article 50.

This is what the Government were saying ion the radio this morning :

On the radio this morning they were saying -

"We should all come together now"

(Theresa May will say) "I will represent everyone"

"We should put the divisions of the past behind us".

Now, when people talk about reuniting that always involves compromise and offering both sides a few concessions. But the Govt have made it clear that we`re heading for the hardest of hard Brexits. The obvious point is, what difference would there have been in the Govt`s negotiating goals between if the referendum had been 90% to 10%, rather than the 52% to 48% it actually was. I don`t think there would have been any difference whatsoever in the Govts strategy, and therefore they have, by definition, ignored the opinions of 48% of the population. Thus all this - "let`s come together" - are merely hypocritical platitudes. I for one have no intention of backing the Govt, or "coming together" with people I feel lied their way to a narrow referendum win. Well OK, I`ll take some of the latter back if the NHS gets its £350 million a week and we get the promised "great trade deal", but until then, no chance.

---------- Post added 29-03-2017 at 09:17 ----------

Or they'll still blame the EU for everything that doesn't go their way

Oh I think we`re all ready for this. Leave repeatedly said "we`ll get a great trade deal (implying as good as now) because it`s in the EU`s interest, they sell more to us than we sell to them". If and when the promised "great trade deal" fails to materialise, which Brexiteer on here do you think will be the first to say "the EU aren`t behaving rationally, we could not have forseen that, so our promises were valid". This was despite everyone telling them that was exactly what the EU would say. The UK cannot have deal as good, or anywhere near as good, as it had as a member of the EU, that`s the logical red line in the EU`s negotiating position.

I`m putting my money on Nigel Fargate. Any other takers ?

Edited by Justin Smith

After we abandon the EU in 2019, I think the train will come off the rails and the establishment will eventually collapse. I doubt it can continue without our monetary imput, given the state of two or three of its members been almost bankrupt.

Angel1,

Is that a good thing or a bad one in your view?

---------- Post added 29-03-2017 at 09:20 ----------

And if the situation arose as in your earlier post with being called up by the EU military and the conflict

was against the UK (it's happened before ) would you be so free and easy?

When were we at war with the EU?

There is no "hard" Brexit and "soft" Brexit.

There is real Brexit and fake Brexit.

You cannot leave the EU but remain within the EU internal market. It's logical nonsense. Try drawing it on a Venn diagram.

Point out where it said "Kind of half leave the EU" on your ballot paper.