Manchester Road paving works

I like the way they're replacing the old pot holes with state of the art new ones .... which have perfectly square cast iron bottoms that look remarkably similar to what we used to call 'manhole covers' .... only these are an inch below the new road surface.

Thank you Planner1

But my point still stands. Just because the work is planned or even already paid for does not mean it doesn't cost.

When the contract was drawn up, surely they did a survey of what needed doing? to me it sounds like they just said to Amey, here is a pot of money go spend it regardless of whether the work is needed.

Were Amey given instructions to prioritise certain works?

People only get vocal when they can see decay left to worsen in one place, but work carried out unnecessarily in another.

Did you never think there was a reason the roads were in a state? Did under-funding never cross your mind?

Of course it did, as does the profit taken out of the total PFI funding.

I accept that under the politics of the time, PFI was the only option available, but it is massively expensive way of doing things.

Edited by cgksheff

Thank you Planner1

But my point still stands. Just because the work is planned or even already paid for does not mean it doesn't cost.

When the contract was drawn up, surely they did a survey of what needed doing? to me it sounds like they just said to Amey, here is a pot of money go spend it regardless of whether the work is needed.

Were Amey given instructions to prioritise certain works?

People only get vocal when they can see decay left to worsen in one place, but work carried out unnecessarily in another.

The contract was drawn up on a specification of the standard that the roads and footways had to be kept to. Amey had 5 years to bring all the specified roads up to the set standard and then they maintain them to the agreed standard for the duration of the 25 year contract.

At the time the contract was let, it was specified that Amey would carry out resurfacing works in each of the community assembly areas, every year for the five year core investment period. Other than that, the programming of the works is up to Amey.

Amey wouldn't be resurfacing your footway if they didn't think that it was the most economic way of keeping it to the required standard for the duration of the contract.

The way the contract is set up, with fixed payments for the council, gives the council certainty on its budgets and assurance that there will not be any unpleasant surprises if unexpected, costly works are needed. The risk is with the contractor. For a council, which is constantly having its government funding cut, that is no bad thing.

People have not got the faintest idea of how the Amey contract works, but they still moan about it. People moaned about the state of the roads and now most of them have been fixed and the rest will be soon, but they still moan. They moan about disruption from the roadworks, they moan about the odd bits of defective surfacing that need redoing. People just moan.

---------- Post added 19-03-2017 at 17:14 ----------

Of course it did, as does the profit taken out of the total PFI funding.

I accept that under the politics of the time, PFI was the only option available, but it is massively expensive way of doing things.

You're probably right, but it was PFI or carry on as they were. Under-funding (by the government, who provide the money) of road maintenance is a massive national issue.

I like the way they're replacing the old pot holes with state of the art new ones .... which have perfectly square cast iron bottoms that look remarkably similar to what we used to call 'manhole covers' .... only these are an inch below the new road surface.

Same with the smaller 6" square ones, perhaps too much trouble to raise them them to the desired height- unless they're not allowed to alter them as they belong to the utilities?

[/b]

:hihi: Spot on Doog. They want it done but with zero inconvenience to themselves.

don't think people are complaining about inconvenience but about shoddy work

---------- Post added 19-03-2017 at 19:43 ----------

done a road near us in the last 2 weeks , always had a problem with low manhole covers . thought well as they are resurfacing they will sort out the low manholes . guess what ? they are worse than before

T

People have not got the faintest idea of how the Amey contract works, but they still moan about it. .

Really? That's funny cos I know exactly how it works and there is sufficient with how things are going to cause me concern.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

don't think people are complaining about inconvenience but about shoddy work

You're right of course, it was more of an observation but in my defence, straying off topic is normal and acceptable practice on SF, granted I'm new but it does seem to be a trend.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

If you see work that needs correcting report it to Amey and they generally do it .