Manchester Road paving works

The pavements on Manchester Road, Crosspool are being re-surfaced.

I am sure they will look very nice when finished, but i'm not convinced they were in such a poor state to warrant the money that is being spent, when there are many roads in Sheffield that are in more urgent need of repair.

Does anyone have any information on this seemingly waste of funds?

are they paved ?

I am sure they will look very nice when finished, but i'm not convinced they were in such a poor state to warrant the money that is being spent, when there are many roads in Sheffield that are in more urgent need of repair.

Try googling "Streets Ahead".

£2.1 billion contract to resurface Sheffield roads / footpaths, replace street lights etc.

Yet the roads that really need doing.... Archer Road, for instance, remain awful, but the easier ones, such as Abbey Lane, are easier as they were ok before they were re-surfaced. And without residents parking on the road. The worse the road, the more it is used, the lower the priority it seems. And no doubt, the pot of money will be empty before the bad roads are fixed.

I couldn't agree more. The pavements were resurfaced not long ago (not dug up like now admittedly) and were in a very good state, some might say excellent.

However, whilst the council cut vital services because of lack of money this work continues.

The council do not look at anything in a common sense way, instead they say the work was scheduled and budgeted for so must go ahead.

I see also they are replacing kerb stones around the city for the same reason?

They looked as good as the day they were put down to me (not an expert).

Repeat this right across the range of what the council do and it is easy to see why the "machine" eats money faster than it can take it from us.

Every pavement and RD in the city is being redone , it makes sense to do roads and pavements at the same time and the main Rd is being done in the summer.

This is one of the main routes into the city, it needs doing and its comes out of the Amey contract not the council budget.

Its great to see stone walls that have ben falling into disrepair on the A57 and Redmires Rd also being repaired .

We could alternatively go back to how the roads were before the contract.

Funny how people moan about the state of the roads and now moan when they are being redone !

Every pavement and RD in the city is being redone , it makes sense to do roads and pavements at the same time and the main Rd is being done in the summer.

This is one of the main routes into the city, it needs doing and its comes out of the Amey contract not the council budget.

Its great to see stone walls that have ben falling into disrepair on the A57 and Redmires Rd also being repaired .

We could alternatively go back to how the roads were before the contract.

Funny how people moan about the state of the roads and now moan when they are being redone !

:hihi: Spot on Doog. They want it done but with zero inconvenience to themselves.

and its comes out of the Amey contract not the council budget.

Who do you think pays for the Amey contract?

It is costing us more out of the Council Budget than our Highways work ever did.

It is costing us more out of the Council Budget than our Highways work ever did.

Did you never think there was a reason the roads were in a state? Did under-funding never cross your mind?

The original post is about the pavements, there is no moaning about roads (which are not being done at the same time) the issue is that they didn't need doing this soon (or at all to be honest), and vital services are being cut.

Why not prioritise and spend the money where it is most needed, if that is on roads then fine, but not perfectly good pavements.

Edited by andrejuan

The original post is about the pavements, there is no moaning about roads (which are not being done at the same time) the issue is that they didn't need doing this soon (or at all to be honest), and vital services are being cut.

Why not prioritise and spend the money where it is most needed, if that is on roads then fine, but not perfectly good pavements.

Amey have a contract which specifies that they bring the all the roads and footways up to a specified standard, then maintain them to a standard for the 25 year period. The council's contributions to the contract are fixed for the 25 year period, so it won't make a jot of difference to council budgets whether or not your footway gets resurfaced now or in 10 / 20 years time.