George Osborne new editor of Evening Standard

Still fancies his chances of becoming PM. Needs to remain politically influential and powerful and in the public eye to maximise his chances.

He also needs to have the respect of his parliamentary colleagues on the backbenches who will vote for him, should he want to become PM. And many of those are unhappy with his appointment as Editor.

But dont they pair up?

If they are voting for and against a bill, and they dont want to attend, someone voting for will pair up with someone voting against, and they will both agree not to attend.

Its the conflict of interest which is the main issue.

What conflict of interest do you think is happening here?

Are ad homs ok today by the way? Obviously they were ok yesterday

I guess they were because you wrote in relation to George Osbourne that

Really? I thought he'd eaten his young.

---------- Post added 19-03-2017 at 22:24 ----------

Oh give it a rest. You might be motivated by nothing but money, but I am not.

While you are going to continually insult and cast negative asperstions Anna, I will not "give it a rest".

Apart from his debatable ability to do several jobs at once

People often have the ability to do several jobs at once. Some people are gifted that way.

What conflict of interest do you think is happening here?

He will be responsible for the reporting of the news from Westminster.

No he won't. He's not a reporter. He's an editor, in fact THE Editor.

I don't have a problem with Osborne doing this job at all and it will in fact be interesting to see how he gets on. But rather mysterious how he managed to get it in the first place.

Has it not occurred to you that the editor decides what gets printed and what doesn't? Obviously not.

He will have editorial control over the content of the newspaper. Presumably, for it to be a conflict of interest, you must feel that editing a newspaper will change the decision making he undertakes as an MP in a way that would benefit his newspaper?

I don't have a problem with Osborne doing this job at all and it will in fact be interesting to see how he gets on. But rather mysterious how he managed to get it in the first place.

There's no mystery. It's clearly part of the fight back against extreme Brexit.

Has it not occurred to you that the editor decides what gets printed and what doesn't? Obviously not.

The Editor is not a reporter. Especially not Osborne, who has never done any work like that.

I can't imagine what it's like walking into a job that you know nothing about having been mediocre at everything else you've done and becoming the boss. I guess that's what a private education and centuries of family privilege can do for you.

I can't imagine what it's like walking into a job that you know nothing about having been mediocre at everything else you've done and becoming the boss. I guess that's what a private education and centuries of family privilege can do for you.

Welcome to the Forum. Judging by your first post, it'll will be a baptism of fire for you :hihi: