Fatal crash Rivelin 1960's.

Anyone know the details of the fatal car crash on Rivelin Valley Road back in the 1960's ? As I recall, it was some well know man connected to football. His car crashed into a tree at the roadside ( travelling towards Malin Bridge) , I think it was opposite the bottom of the very steep lane near Rivelin Bridge.

The damage on the tree was visible for years afterwards, the car being something big like a Mk9 Jag ?

I remember eric taylor ,manager sheff wed, was badly injured in the accident.

Anyone know the details of the fatal car crash on Rivelin Valley Road back in the 1960's ? As I recall, it was some well know man connected to football. His car crashed into a tree at the roadside ( travelling towards Malin Bridge) , I think it was opposite the bottom of the very steep lane near Rivelin Bridge.

The damage on the tree was visible for years afterwards, the car being something big like a Mk9 Jag ?

I think the incident you are referring to was in 1967. Eric Taylor the then General Manager of Sheffield Wednesday did crash his car-I think a Rover- into a tree (no other vehicle involved). The crash was not fatal as Mr. Taylor survived but with serious injuries and did lose the use of a hand.

Edited by stpetre
Add

yes it was eric taylor/ he was taken to the royal infirmary/ and admitted to ward five /where i was a patient after a motor bike accident it was 1967/ may i add this was one of the finest orthopedic hospitals in the country/ the leading surgeon was mr holdsworth who was later knighted for his services to bone surgery / sadly another fine hospital that no longer exists /////

yes it was eric taylor/ he was taken to the royal infirmary/ and admitted to ward five /where i was a patient after a motor bike accident it was 1967/ may i add this was one of the finest orthopedic hospitals in the country/ the leading surgeon was mr holdsworth who was later knighted for his services to bone surgery / sadly another fine hospital that no longer exists /////

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Taylor_(football_manager)

The Sheffield Royal Infirmary was opened in 1792 so was well past its sell by date when it closed in the early 1980's. The cockroaches, mice and cats were always a problem in those bulidings if I remember rightly. Not to mention the filthy parke floors which couldn't be cleaned properly

There are many fine and pioneering orthopaedic surgeons doing excellent work in Sheffield in the 21st century and not a cockroach in sight !

Edited by Daven

hello / i spent a lot of time in the royal infirmary/ on and off from 1967-1971 having bone grafts ,four in total // but i never saw the conditions you describe//and the hospitals today are far worse for cleanliness /// we did not have the killer bug mrsa in those years ///

hello / i spent a lot of time in the royal infirmary/ on and off from 1967-1971 having bone grafts ,four in total // but i never saw the conditions you describe//and the hospitals today are far worse for cleanliness /// we did not have the killer bug mrsa in those years ///

Sorry to break your rose tinted spectacles but hospitals are FAR cleaner than they ever were back in the days you are speaking of.

I worked in the Royal Infirmary and there was a major pest problem.

MRSA had not been identified back in those days but patients regularly died of simple infections - probably caught in the hospital . Back in those days hospitals 'could do no wrong' but very often did. It was never discussed.

Regards

you sound like a person who does not realise that in the 60s/70s the n.h.s had a proper funding!!! not like today//the staff are not supervised by matrons etc and people who took a pride in their work// today it is done by contractors who are only interested in the profits /// that can be made from this on its knees// once proud service for the good of the country// i bet your a tory???

Sorry to break your rose tinted spectacles but hospitals are FAR cleaner than they ever were back in the days you are speaking of.

I worked in the Royal Infirmary and there was a major pest problem.

MRSA had not been identified back in those days but patients regularly died of simple infections - probably caught in the hospital . Back in those days hospitals 'could do no wrong' but very often did. It was never discussed.

Regards

The only trouble today in hospitals is that they do not have " The Matrons Round". This was done every week with the ward sister and nurses walking behind the matron. She walked up the ward then down again , she would run her finger along every windowsill and if any dust was found she would show it to the nurses and say " Get that cleaned up ! " Today I have seen cleaners mop round beds and bedside cabinets rather than move them. That is why we have MRSA.

As I understand it MRSA is a function of the massive overuse of antibiotics to 'treat' things, plus its presence in the food chain as a result of intense farming methods leading to bacteria which have evolved a resistance to the tools we once used to kill them.

It's not got much to do with hospitals not having a Matron's Round.

you sound like a person who does not realise that in the 60s/70s the n.h.s had a proper funding!!! not like today//the staff are not supervised by matrons etc and people who took a pride in their work// today it is done by contractors who are only interested in the profits /// that can be made from this on its knees// once proud service for the good of the country// i bet your a tory???

And I bet she isn't!!!!