A southern yank with questions

Oh whereabouts in Essex is your friend from? That's where I'm originally from. I still haven't lost my Essex-isms after 40 years.

Oh whereabouts in Essex is your friend from? That's where I'm originally from. I still haven't lost my Essex-isms after 40 years.

Or as Ian Dury (Blockheads) used to pronounce it ; 'Hessex'.

Out of respect for his privacy, and nothing more, I'd rather not say. Sorry!

I seem to remember reading of a chef from Sheffield working for the Clintons in the White House.This was in the Hendersons recipe book

Hendersons is a very famous condiment made in Sheffield for over a hundred years

I seem to remember reading of a chef from Sheffield working for the Clintons in the White House.This was in the Hendersons recipe book

Hendersons is a very famous condiment made in Sheffield for over a hundred years

Heard of Henderson's. I'm told it's like Worcestershire sauce, but without the anchovies. Right?

As for the Clinton's former chef, uh, that's news to me. For most of the Clinton presidency I was in high school (grades 9-12 here) and community college (two-year vocational school). So, when it came to anything political, I was otherwise occupied.

Just read your OP and quickly came up with this idea. Our protagonist Joe lives on an estate called Batemoor. It's the 1960's. His parents are both dead and he lives with his grandma. He goes to the local secondary modern school where he is popular. He has a passion for cooking and baking because of the influence of his grandma.

He leaves school in 1969 with 4 CSE's. All his friends take up apprenticeships in the steel works etc etc. All are promised a job for life. He takes some stick when he enrolls on a catering course at the local college (this was not as popular in the 1960's as it is today). He struggles at college but is determined. He takes a part time job in a local hotel where he is bullied by the chef. His friends all have money he has very little,0. When they are going out at nights he's working. But he won't give up. At college he is inspired by a lecturer who can see Joe's potential. This lecturer is involved in a TV programme called the Reluctant Cook . Joe is invited on and his cooking skills and down to earth Sheffield demeanor make him a huge hit.

An American entrepreneur sees him and invites him to the States to start a new catering company. Joe leaves and starts BakeMore. It's a huge success and makescJoe very wealthy. He marries an American and they have kids living in the Californian sunshine. He keeps in touch with grandma but finds it difficult to visit.

News comes through that grandma has passed away and Joe returns for the funeral. First time visit he is shocked by the estate. Unemployment, drugs, alcoholism. So much for Cradle to the Grave jobs. He decides to give up BakeMore and stay to help Batemoor. He sets up a company to train those how to start their own businesses and to kick the habits. IIt's a huge success.

That's about it.

Just read your OP and quickly came up with this idea. Our protagonist Joe lives on an estate called Batemoor. It's the 1960's. His parents are both dead and he lives with his grandma. He goes to the local secondary modern school where he is popular. He has a passion for cooking and baking because of the influence of his grandma.

He leaves school in 1969 with 4 CSE's. All his friends take up apprenticeships in the steel works etc etc. All are promised a job for life. He takes some stick when he enrolls on a catering course at the local college (this was not as popular in the 1960's as it is today). He struggles at college but is determined. He takes a part time job in a local hotel where he is bullied by the chef. His friends all have money he has very little,0. When they are going out at nights he's working. But he won't give up. At college he is inspired by a lecturer who can see Joe's potential. This lecturer is involved in a TV programme called the Reluctant Cook . Joe is invited on and his cooking skills and down to earth Sheffield demeanor make him a huge hit.

An American entrepreneur sees him and invites him to the States to start a new catering company. Joe leaves and starts BakeMore. It's a huge success and makescJoe very wealthy. He marries an American and they have kids living in the Californian sunshine. He keeps in touch with grandma but finds it difficult to visit.

News comes through that grandma has passed away and Joe returns for the funeral. First time visit he is shocked by the estate. Unemployment, drugs, alcoholism. So much for Cradle to the Grave jobs. He decides to give up BakeMore and stay to help Batemoor. He sets up a company to train those how to start their own businesses and to kick the habits. IIt's a huge success.

That's about it.[/Quote]

Weelll. . . that's great and all, and I really do appreciate the input. I'm not being sarcastic or patronizing, either. I truly do appreciate it.

However, I've got the story mostly figured out as far as plot points, characters, etc. Just trying to get some of this guy's backstory and traits nailed down as they pertain to his upbringing there in Sheffield.

So, is City and Guilds like an apprenticeship program or something? Because that is what my research is bearing out. And is Sheffield Polytechnic now Sheffield Hallam University?

You could either do a course full time (5 days a week) paid for by the students or their parents or an employer would pay your fees and you would do day release at college.So you would work until about 1pm then to college until about 8pm.

Btw knives, overalls and books were an expensive outlay.

Yes Hallam is the old Poly.If I remember rightly the catering department was on the 11th and 12th floors.

And catering would be equivalent to a culinary arts degree (bachelors level)?

And catering would be equivalent to a culinary arts degree (bachelors level)?

Humm ...I would say that would be more the HND .

HND -- so, we're talking a two-year degree? Right?

HND -- so, we're talking a two-year degree? Right?

Probably. I've just tried to verify it but I can't find anything on Google.Sorry.

---------- Post added 18-03-2017 at 22:11 ----------

Probably. I've just tried to verify it but I can't find anything on Google.Sorry.

See I'm not sure if it was degree equivalent.you may have to find someone who was on the course in the 70's.