Quiet places to drive?

Hi, I'm trying to find places to take my partner out to drive. She passed her test a couple of years ago but hasn't driven a car since so it's like her being a beginner again.

Does anyone know of any big spaces that are quiet to drive around at night?

I went near Costco off parkway but there wasn't many roads!

Thanks!

Just get her a couple of lessons with a driving instructor, they'll do a much better job.

May be a good idea to go on the ind us trail estates. They are quiet and she can reverse into spaces ect. May be a good idea to try b&q carpark for parking as mainly empty and there's lots of spaces.

Failing that, there's some nice roads up near the crags.

The Peak District is so packed with pensioners that the roads turn into a slow driving convention any time the sun comes out.

If they are thinking of going at night, I don't think it will be too bad. Plus, she needs the experience of traffic, night driving so may benefit either way.

No worries op :)

When I got my bike on the road, we went to the industrial estate behind McDonalds at Tankersley. It was the weekend so it was quiet, but there were actual roads to practice on.

I've not ridden for a while, and I'm hoping to have another practice for if I decide to start commuting again.

I went two years without driving a bit back (four years after passing my test) and I found it came back surprisingly easily. Hopefully your missus will be the same. Good luck! :)

Edited by Isabelle

Just get her a couple of lessons with a driving instructor, they'll do a much better job.

That's what I was thinking.

It's a long time to go without driving since passing her test. Her confidence will be low no doubt. And she'll probably need a refresher course.

In terms of quiet places to drive around Sheffield. If it's been that long since she drove I'd probably not go on any main roads with her but take her on the Driver Training Centre at Lightwood (midweek preferably). At least first time out - just to get her used to the car and controls again.

A quiet drive is along Mortimer Road from Strines to Langsett and maybe on towards Holmfirth via Hade Edge. It's beautiful too. But what she really needs is exposure to traffic and different situations as soon as she's got her basic driving skills updated and feels confident. That's why you need an instructor.

Attercliffe (near Morrisons, developing area industrial estate, extreme quiet (especially on a Sunday!)

In Sheffield itself, Cavendish Road/Chelsea Road etc seem to be regularly used by driving instructors' students.