Sheffield Arena to close?

Well, I've defended it here, but following the way that CUSTOMERS trying to return to the tram stop following The Who concert last night were treated, it's Leeds or Nottingham for me from now.

Well, I've defended it here, but following the way that CUSTOMERS trying to return to the tram stop following The Who concert last night were treated, it's Leeds or Nottingham for me from now.

That doesn't sound good! What was the problem last night? :(

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 02:29 ----------

Build a smaller arena and the big artists will not come because the money will

not be good enough.You get a much better experience at city hall but you would not get mrs brown,rod stewart or any top name playing there.

many years ago you could go to Fiesta or Baileys to see top acts but it

was the artists increased fees which finised them off.

I totally agree with this. However, why anyone would want to see Mrs Browns Boy's is a complete mystery to me! :hihi:

I went to see Russell Howard at the Arena last friday, the first time I've been back there since they installed the new seats. I don't know whose bright idea it was to install seating that goes from 'just enough leg room' to 'painfully crushing kneecaps' as soon as someone sits in the seat in front of you but I have never been in so much pain in my life apart from the occasional kidney stone. That's the kind of pain I was in on Frday after 1 hour and 30 minutes of trying to sit through a comedy show in a chair designed by some sadist.

Maybe it's not an issue that affects most people as I'm above the average height but I've never sat in any seat that seemed to perfectly designed to prevent you from moving your legs. I'd like to apologise to everyone on my row who I forced to stand up to let me leave early when the pain finally became more than I could endure.

I've got tickets for another show this year but now I'm seriously thinking about not going to it just because of how bad the pain inflicted by that seating was. No act is so appealing that it is worth enduring that again.

Oh and one other thing... and at the risk of sounding even more like a moaning old git... did they really need to play the pre-show music at rock concert volumes? It was so loud they made a Coldplay song sound like heavy metal. :headbang:

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

That doesn't sound good! What was the problem last night? :(

Although there was no signage or warning inside the building (and bear in mind many of the band's fans aren't exactly spring chickens) all the steps and the wheelchair ramp on the tram side of the Arena had been closed off and everyone was forced by a small army of staff to walk the length of the building at the upper level away from the tram and then back the way they had come at ground level. Many had already walked round the inside to the nearest exit for the tram stop. Shambles!

Although there was no signage or warning inside the building (and bear in mind many of the band's fans aren't exactly spring chickens) all the steps and the wheelchair ramp on the tram side of the Arena had been closed off and everyone was forced by a small army of staff to walk the length of the building at the upper level away from the tram and then back the way they had come at ground level. Many had already walked round the inside to the nearest exit for the tram stop. Shambles!

It was like that on Friday too but only for a few minutes, just as we started walking the other way whoever was in charge of the yellow army shouted to tear the tape and the stairs were opened. It was the same going in, only a small portion of each stair case was available.. presumably some dark art of attempted crowd control.

I agree about the seats too, I'm not the tallest but 2hrs on one of the tiers with the seat in front up against my knees was really quite painful, thankfully I was in the aisle so could spill out sideways.

Someone should really make it clear that if you don't look after the customers. ... there won't be any customers and you're out of a job!

In response to some comments about acoustics for Gigs etc... Acoustics and view is what I look for primarily, "seeing an idol in the flesh" is less important to me than the venue. I do appreciate that not everyone is that bothered, but equally, there are people that do care about acoustics etc. It is why I chose to drive to London to see Jamiroquai at the Roundhouse a couple of weeks ago, rather than bagging tickets to his arena tour. I agree that anyone going to see Bieber for example, will probably be less picky about acoustics etc.

Anyone complaining about the seats, must be sitting on the floor seating that goes in for gigs, for which I cannot comment as I would never goto an "Arena Gig" unless I was literally front row, floor.

From an Ice Hockey point of view only, the arena got much better post refurb. The FIXED seats are far more comfy, and there's now MORE LEG ROOM than with the old blue seats.

It is noticeable that the person starting this thread appears to have done a runner.

This is not surprising as there appears to be not the slightest truth in his allegation – a work of fiction from beginning to end.

More worryingly, there are more Fake Facts and False Assertions on this thread than at a Donald Trump Press Conference.

It really is quite depressing.

It was like that on Friday too but only for a few minutes, just as we started walking the other way whoever was in charge of the yellow army shouted to tear the tape and the stairs were opened. It was the same going in, only a small portion of each stair case was available.. presumably some dark art of attempted crowd control.

I agree about the seats too, I'm not the tallest but 2hrs on one of the tiers with the seat in front up against my knees was really quite painful, thankfully I was in the aisle so could spill out sideways.

So nothing to do with supertram and all about the arena?

Correct, Supertram staff were as on the ball as ever at the gate by the platform - no criticism of them.

It was the arena security staff that were forcing everyone to go on the upper level towards Terry St and then double back - which ended up creating more of a crowd on what stairs there were as the people trying to leave through the blue doors for the tram were now forced to merge with those leaving through the red and green doors.

I personally feel that the arena will be kept to maintain Sheffield's ' big city ' name.

Every big city I believe has a large arena.

I do not believe it when people say that the arena does not attract large names. Aren't Iron Maiden visiting soon? Green Day are visiting and they have WWE coming every year.

I do feel that the exterior has a dilapidated look and could do with a bit of sprucing up, but I feel it will be here for years to come.

the arena is one of the best in the uk its going nowhere