Sheffield Arena to close?

its only 20years old I belive.

Built in 1991,so 26.

They won't close it, they'll sell it - and not for a huge amount I reckon. Birmingham city council sold the NEC (now there's a place that needs a refurb) for £307m which sounds a steal to me. http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/business-news/nec-group-sold-ldc-307m-8460037

Now if the council hadn't made noise about shifting hs2 to the city centre, they'd have got more money for it.

Guest sibon
They won't close it, they'll sell it - and not for a huge amount I reckon. Birmingham city council sold the NEC (now there's a place that needs a refurb) for £307m which sounds a steal to me. http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/business-news/nec-group-sold-ldc-307m-8460037

Now if the council hadn't made noise about shifting hs2 to the city centre, they'd have got more money for it.

If only we had a venue like Birmingham's Symphony Hall. Or a complex like the ICA.

A new arena with smaller capacity in the city centre would be a great idea. Model it on Leeds Arena and stick it where the bus station is. It would be a great visitor attraction for the city centre; the current arena isn't.

Although I've been to see several bands at Sheffield Arena, it's always reluctantly as the experience is terrible, the sound and sightlines are appalling. If it was replaced with something better and more central I wouldn't miss it at all.

I seem to recall a number of Steelers fans crowing that Leeds would take away concerts leaving more prime dates for ice hockey. If this is true would seem to hammer home Be careful what you wish for! Having said that I find it hard to believe that even Sheffield Council (surely the country's worst) are stupid enough to junk something they recently spent good money on refurbing.

It is Sheffield City Council after all.

It is Sheffield City Council after all.

True! Says it all, but city centre? Seem to recall Bruce Springsteen'a tour bus being nicked for parking offence in the capital of the universe - Leeds!

I went to see Mrs Browns boys there. £2.50 for half a cup of tea. We were 6 rows back but had to watch most of the show on a big screen. To top it off it was so hot and I could not get my coat off as I was so squashed in! Seats that close together was horrible. Lord knows how the people further back or on the sides watched the show.

same here , went to watch dancing on ice but if I had known I was going to have to watch it on a big screen , I would have been better off staying home and buying the dvd

Still no sign of the OP with any sort of link or proof so we can assume that s/he simply registered to set this hare running.

Build a smaller arena and the big artists will not come because the money will

not be good enough.You get a much better experience at city hall but you would not get mrs brown,rod stewart or any top name playing there.

many years ago you could go to Fiesta or Baileys to see top acts but it

was the artists increased fees which finised them off.

I have been to a lot of rock concerts in the past but always enjoyed the city hall and the octagon the best.I think the last arena gig i went too was to see Guns n Roses.Shame if it did close,i went to some car and bike shows in the past as well.

We can't really afford to lose the arena.

Only if something better is built instead.