Sheffield Arena to close?

A new roof and seats not really a refurbishment to be honest, and i know that the seats were not upgraded they just squeezed in more smaller uncomfortable seats …..

They didn't "squeeze" in more seats, they changed the colour from blue to black, the seats aren't as thick.

Bigger toilets and new food kiosks too :)

I think it would be a shame if its true.

Im not a fan of arena gigs in general, and Sheffield does now seem to be losing out quite often to Leeds when it comes to bigger bands, but as previously stated its not just for concerts, it hosts all sorts of other things.

As a side, Steelers games at Ice Sheffield cant compare with the ones at the arena (atmosphere-wise anyway).

Don't like the one in Leeds,too steep.

Disagree totally. With it being so steep you feel close to the band if you are in the seats. At Sheffield Arena you might as well be in the next county!

Typical small town mentality

Comparison

Meadowhall - external retail park killed off city centre

Liverpool 1 - smack bang in the middle of the centre attracting visitors/ income etc

Leeds First Direct Arena - 13,500 seats surrounded by bars, restaurants, city centre access

Sheffield arena - miles from anywhere. Want a drink- The Noose and Gibbet. Meal - KFC near by.

When will this Council ever wake up to the competition that is draining the cash and jobs away from this city

Sheffield arena - miles from anywhere. Want a drink- The Noose and Gibbet. Meal - KFC near by.

On the other hand, it does have some positives - located close to the motorway, ample parking (if you can be bothered to pay), and plenty of restaurants at Centertainment.

Forgot about Centertainment. Whoops

Typical small town mentality

Comparison

Meadowhall - external retail park killed off city centre

Liverpool 1 - smack bang in the middle of the centre attracting visitors/ income etc

Leeds First Direct Arena - 13,500 seats surrounded by bars, restaurants, city centre access

When will this Council ever wake up to the competition that is draining the cash and jobs away from this city

Whilst broadly speaking I'd agree this is not our councils strong suit, M'hall and arena were built and opened in early 90s, L**ds arena and Liverpool 1 opened 20 years later, bit unfair to compare them.

Whilst broadly speaking I'd agree this is not our councils strong suit, M'hall and arena were built and opened in early 90s, L**ds arena and Liverpool 1 opened 20 years later, bit unfair to compare them.

Agreed but in itself the fact that the city has in effect stood still for 25 years is sad. Other cities are way ahead of the game in comparison.

Agreed but in itself the fact that the city has in effect stood still for 25 years is sad. Other cities are way ahead of the game in comparison.

Stems from Sheffield's refusal to grant licenses in late 80s/early 90s. L**ds at the time was much smaller but saw that the way to promote growth was to get people into city centre spending money.

We will never catch up L**ds, Manchester or Nottingham now and trying to do so would be a waste of time and money, Sheffield needs to find its own unique selling point and go all in on that.

They didn't "squeeze" in more seats, they changed the colour from blue to black, the seats aren't as thick.

Actually they did increase the number of seats. I'd booked an aisle seat for, I think it was Sabbath, before the refurb and realised post refurb it no longer was on aisle, but the box office staff were great and let me exchange the ticket for the new aisle seat at no additional charge.

---------- Post added 15-03-2017 at 13:33 ----------

On the other hand, it does have some positives - located close to the motorway, ample parking (if you can be bothered to pay), and plenty of restaurants at Centertainment.

Plus excellent public transport service, in the form of the tram, to city centre or park and ride/rail links at Meadowhall.

Not to be a pain but the venue now holds 13,500 it used to hold 12,500.

I also know this as I used to work their when it all happened.

Have a look

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-24008420

I went to see Mrs Browns boys there. £2.50 for half a cup of tea. We were 6 rows back but had to watch most of the show on a big screen. To top it off it was so hot and I could not get my coat off as I was so squashed in! Seats that close together was horrible. Lord knows how the people further back or on the sides watched the show.