Sheffield Arena to close?

Another nail in the coffin.

Perhaps nobody visits it because it's a dump inside. But of course, they won't spend money refurbishing it, because they're incapable of foresight.

THIS …. i went recently with some friends to watch an ice hockey match, and its absolutely awful in their rip of prices for food and drink horrible uncomfortable seating and just basically looked crap everywhere, as with most of sheffield it has the 'it'll do' attitude.

The place is a dump outside and in.

Is it ? They spent 3.5m on a refurbishment in 2013, can't be that bad in little over 4 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-24008420

A new roof and seats not really a refurbishment to be honest, and i know that the seats were not upgraded they just squeezed in more smaller uncomfortable seats …..

THIS …. i went recently with some friends to watch an ice hockey match, and its absolutely awful in their rip of prices for food and drink horrible uncomfortable seating and just basically looked crap everywhere, as with most of sheffield it has the 'it'll do' attitude.

The place is a dump outside and in.

A new roof and seats not really a refurbishment to be honest, and i know that the seats were not upgraded they just squeezed in more smaller uncomfortable seats …..

They also replaced the loos - well certainly the women's ones.

Unless I can get seats near the front which costs a fortune I avoid the place its souless and often they move the stage forward even with big acts as it does not sell out.City hall is much better but obviously not big enough to attract some of the big names.

Another in a long line of Sheffield White elephants...

Can the council never get anything right?

Another in a long line of Sheffield White elephants...

Can the council never get anything right?

Calm down a bit. Its been running perfectly well for 25 years - hardly a white elephant.

Thousands of people have and still do continue to use it.

Just because Leeds finally gets round to building one of their own and as usual the knee jerk response is waaa waaa ours is rubbish waaa waaa why cant we have a shiny new one.

Calm down a bit. Its been running perfectly well for 25 years - hardly a white elephant.

Thousands of people have and still do continue to use it.

Just because Leeds finally gets round to building one of their own and as usual the knee jerk response is waaa waaa ours is rubbish waaa waaa why cant we have a shiny new one.

Agree completely.

Leeds only built a new stadium because the Arena was so popular.

The council doesn't run the Arena or didn't so blame the management company if anything.

I used The Arena for years when the Sharks played there and have visited for numerous bands and events.

I don't visit now 'cos a) the bands performing aren't to my taste and b) its way too expensive but then again i don't visit any of the others Mcr,Pool or Leeds.

As a new build Leeds will bending over backwards to attract events to its new shiney venue at all costs.

The Arena is well used for other things other than big pop names. Disney on Ice is always popular as are the sports events and occasional religious meetings. I agree it is horrible but so are Nottingham Birmingham and Manchester (not been to Leeds) they are there for a purpose. Most big music names dont make money with their records anymore so rely on tours to make the big wad and these arenas let them do this. As for big names not coming wasnt Olly Murs there last week and Drake a couple of weeks ago??

The price of food and drinks is extortionate anywhere like this. i think we paid around £14 for a glass of wine and a gin and tonic in the Lyceum !! But then we dont HAVE to buy it do we?

I'd agree its unfair to call this a white elephant, I've enjoyed a fair few gigs there with huge names like Oasis, The Killers and Kasabian, watched lots of ice hockey and in the old days basketball, been to the darts and watched Eric Cantona in a Wednesday shirt!

From a purely selfish point of view - Good! The parking is ridiculous at Centretainment when there's anything on at the Arena.

The council will probably sell it for a Quid :hihi::hihi:

And then build an airport on it :)

Nobody has any proof of it closing. The arena serves it purpose,we need it even more than Don valley stadium. Ice hockey,boxing, comedy tours,live music, Disney on ice. I could go on. Land is plentiful out there, they make a tidy profit, Why close it? Think someone made this story up.

Before anyone carries on with this story where has it come from? This thread was started by someone who only joined the forum to set this hare running and hasn't come back.

Perhaps it's the same person who keeps alive the myth of the fence at Bole Hills which has been denied again and again and yet still keeps appearing in letters and leaflets.