Elfine socks...

Thought Id open a thread of its own since you are bulling me into doing them:razz: I feel Im up to the task of trying toe up socks - after all Im going to do Rogue:D

Ive had a look at the pattern and have a few questions before we start :help:....

1) it says fingering weight 4 ply - is that normal sock yarn (33sts and 46 rows to 10cm using 2.25mm)

2) I have 2.5mm dpns is that likely to cause a problem when the pattern sas 2.25mm?

3) how do you wrap a stitch - its for the heel and seems quite important?

4) Would any 4ply work - e.g. Jaeger Matchmaker or something similar - is it best to have a little bit of something

5) Have you found me some yarn :hihi: :hihi:

I am casting on for the scarf tonight as Im nearly done Samus sleeve 2:D

LisaHxxx

This is going to take some time. I'll get back to you :).

By the way, I've penciled you in for a step by step Knitting Group guide to knitting the Elfines, and toe-up sock knitting in general, is that ok?... ;) .

This is going to take some time. I'll get back to you :).

By the way, I've penciled you in for a step by step Knitting Group guide to knitting the Elfines, and toe-up sock knitting in general, is that ok?... ;) .

:o:shocked: Umm never having tried it could be interesting - kind of blind leading the blind eh:D

Lisah xxx

:o:shocked: Umm never having tried it could be interesting - kind of blind leading the blind eh:D

Lisah xxx

LOL. Absolutely, but just think how much you'll learn and be able to pass on once you get into knitting the Elfines.

Should I put you down for a magic loop tutorial too?... :D .

LOL. Absolutely, but just think how much you'll learn and be able to pass on once you get into knitting the Elfines.

Should I put you down for a magic loop tutorial too?... :D .

I wasnt going to do magic loop - then I was - then I wimped out again - oh I dont know - it might make my head explode - not too pretty:suspect:

Need to find out how to do magic loop first:P

LisaH xxx

I wasnt going to do magic loop - then I was - then I wimped out again - oh I dont know - it might make my head explode - not too pretty:suspect:

Need to find out how to do magic loop first:P

LisaH xxx

And now you're banned from the knitting group for conjuring up the image of exploding heads... :hihi: .

I must admit I'd be very tempted to just stick to the dpns. I wouldn't want to risk buggering up some gorgeous yarn and a lovely pattern on a new technique. Then again, you took to the Kitchener stitch quicker than I did, so maybe you'll get into it.

Oh, and re. the fingering weight wool. I haven't looked into it in any great detail, but if it turns out that you can use it for socks, it does open up a new lot of yarns. The Celestial Merino is gorgeous; I used the Sugar Maple for this pattern. It was for a Christmas present, and unfortunately I didn't take a photo before I wrapped it. It did look lovely though, and the colours were amazing.

I think the only problem would be that because all fingering weight yarns aren't specifically designed for sock knitting, there might be a problem with how they stand up to the amount of hard wear that socks get.

I dont think Im scared of the toe up bit - Im a bit scared of the short row heels though but theres probably nothing in it once you get going (dont you find that instructions can sometimes seem daunting but once you follow them it all works out). The magic loop looks interesting but I think I would do just one at a time to start with:D

LisaH xxx

1) it says fingering weight 4 ply - is that normal sock yarn (33sts and 46 rows to 10cm using 2.25mm)...

That figure of 46 rows is a bit confusing. According to this chart, sock-weight and fingering-weight yarns are classed together. From having a quick look around at various sock yarns, most appear to be 4-ply, while many fingering-weight yarns not specifially designed for sock knitting seem to be 2-ply. Presumably the 4-ply gives the yarn a little extra strength. The celestial merino is fingering weight 2-ply, and so should be a little thinner than 4-ply. However, the gauge for that is 36 rows to 10cm. Maybe the row gauge specified for the Elfines should be 36?

2) I have 2.5mm dpns is that likely to cause a problem when the pattern sas 2.25mm?...

I don't think that 0.25 mm is going to make too much difference to the gauge. maybe you could do a test swatch and see if it does? I did my previous Jaywalkers - and I'm doing the current ones - on 2.5 mm instead of 2.25 mm, and they're fine.

3) how do you wrap a stitch - its for the heel and seems quite important?...

Wrapping the stitch when doing short rows helps to avoid the little gap that can sometimes form at the site of the turn. This article is fantastic. I knitted up swatches as she did, though using only a single colour. Here is the result. It is a little fiddly, but it's worthwhile experimenting with the other techniques to see which you prefer.

4) Would any 4ply work - e.g. Jaeger Matchmaker or something similar - is it best to have a little bit of something...

I must admit that I've never used anything other than sock yarn to knit socks. The Cherry Tree Hill is also 100% merino, but it has a distinctive twist to the ply which, I think, gives it some extra strength. If the Jaeger was more loosely twisted, it might be prone to fluffiness and hence not be able to stand up to the hard wear that sock yarns need.

5) Have you found me some yarn :hihi: :hihi:

No, not yet :) . I like the idea of looking at yarns other than those that are specifically for socks though. It would be a case of matching the gauge (or playing with the needle size til you get the gauge), and also looking for something that, if it doesn't have the nylon or similar for strength, has a tightly twisted ply. This would give strength to a pure merino, for example.

Forgot to mention re. the stitch wrapping. I found that the Yarn Over method gave the the smoothest result on the reverse of the fabric. From the front, all three techniques gave a fabric which looked very similar.

Right thanks for that Hecate:thumbsup: . Ive looked at a couple of videos on knittinghelp and I think I might just be able to do these on magic loop - 1 at a time I hasten to add though:D Theres also a video on short rows with wraps - Ill watch that at home as the link is faster:suspect: Im not scared of the cast on - but cant decide yet on a figure of 8 or a turkish cast on.

So we are getting close to the ordering stage (I got paid today *hurrah* - but spent £100 on shoes for the boys yesterday *boo* so cant OVER spend). Im still considering splashing out on the Lornas laces almost solids as the Shephard worsted Im doing the scarf in is yummy - havent totally decided on a colour yet though...or it might possibly work in the aslan colourway as I DO like that too. Havent got a clue though on what length of circular I need yet though although the pattern suggests 60cm:?

LisaH xxx

Just wondering about this as a possible yarn. Even ordering from the States with Airmail its about the same cost as from GetKnitted before the postage:D

LisaH xxx