Ecclesfield School - Ofsted - Inadequate/Special Measures

I work in an educational facility and we get less than 2 full days notice, if they notify us on a Monday they turn up on Wednesday.

no they don't, I work in a school and we get to know ages before

Schools receive 1 days notice for a full Ofsted Inspection. If they are receiving an interim visit by 1 HMI inspector then more notice will be given.

You might know you are due a visit, but unless something dodgy is going on you won't know the date of any visit "ages before". So either you don't work in a school, or you do but don't really know what's going on, or you have some reason for misleading people. Only you know which.

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN07091/SN07091.pdf

1.7 How much notice do schools get of an inspection?

Schools are usually notified around midday on the working day prior to the start of a routine school inspection. Schools previously rated inadequate for behaviour may be subject to no-notice inspections, as may schools about which there are significant concerns.

You clearly don't work in a school. Schools receive a call around midday on the day before a full 2 day inspection.

You clearly don't work in a school. Schools receive a call around midday on the day before a full 2 day inspection.

THAT is right ..... BUT.... all schools know the framework and know when the date arrives that they are 'due' an inspection but that inspection could come at any time after that date including next week or next month or next year

All this does it put schools on standby for an inspection which increases the pressure on staff and students as they are in 'Ofsted' mode rather than education mode ie preparing to pass the Ofsted 'exam' rather than helping children to learn and prepare for actual exams

As for the actual report for the school, I went to one of the open meetings last week to hear what the head and the management team had to say. It was really interesting - hearing their take on it, how Ofsted work and base their findings, and hearing about the problems they already knew about (and were already fixing - like the long term staff sickness issues) and the challenges with some pupils.

I still have some concerns but I'm more than willing to let them have the time and space to fix the issues, I've never had any problems with the school, my child is doing really well there and the feedback is very good. The staff appeared genuinely upset, and frustrated with the Ofsted process, and deserve our support while they focus on getting the best out of the school that they can. Can't be easy with over 1700 students I guess.

I didn't attend the meetings, for the simple reason that I take the ofsted findings with a very big pinch of salt... I personally think many parents are more concerned about how the school's graded than how their kids are actually performing... probably worried their houses might lose a few grand in value because it's now within an "inadequate" school's catchment...

I have 3 kids, one who left the school several years ago & is now happily embracing a career he actually wanted to achieve. The younger two still attend Ecclesfield and are both happy & doing very well, with recent report & parents evenings (the most recent on Thursday last week - after the ofsted revelation...) for both showing excellent progress, and proving to us that the system Ecclesfield operate clearly works for us...

As has been hinted at by others, we've found the key has been getting involved on a daily basis with their homework & project-work & instilling in them the commitment to do the very best they can...

(oh, and my kids don't travel to/from school on the bus, it's walking distance...)

So what is your job in the school?

This person has not got the vaguest clue about working in a school in todays climate. If they do work in an educational establishment they need to open their ears and see what is going on around them.

This person has not got the vaguest clue about working in a school in todays climate. If they do work in an educational establishment they need to open their ears and see what is going on around them.

Schools used to get a lot of notice, but they don't anymore.

OK so I don't normally do this on social media but I'm proper stressed I took Nathan out of Ecclesfield school to home ed but he didn't like it and begged me to get him back in school. Since then it's a roller coaster of one thing after another. Constant letters home about his behaviour iv been in had a meeting clearly there's some issues that no one can or wants to get to the bottom off which is why it pulled him out before iv enquired about additional support but had NO REPLY .

I think He's made himself I'll for 3 days maybe cause there's something wrong.

So today he's just spent his 3rd day in ewr (isolation) THAT'S 15 LESSONS he's MISSED iv rang today twice to ask to put him back in lessons or send him home again NO REPLY

Funny though at around 430 I got a missed call saying they were excluding him for 1 day for not staying after school till 4 for (slt detention )they ring me for that though. I don't know what else to do or say anymore I know he's no saint I agree in punishment but for God sake HELP THE CHILDREN . Spend less time on wrong shoes, 2 earrings, a chain etc more on the child's mental state or am i just a bad parent.

OK so I don't normally do this on social media but I'm proper stressed I took Nathan out of Ecclesfield school to home ed but he didn't like it and begged me to get him back in school. Since then it's a roller coaster of one thing after another. Constant letters home about his behaviour iv been in had a meeting clearly there's some issues that no one can or wants to get to the bottom off which is why it pulled him out before iv enquired about additional support but had NO REPLY .

I think He's made himself I'll for 3 days maybe cause there's something wrong.

So today he's just spent his 3rd day in ewr (isolation) THAT'S 15 LESSONS he's MISSED iv rang today twice to ask to put him back in lessons or send him home again NO REPLY

Funny though at around 430 I got a missed call saying they were excluding him for 1 day for not staying after school till 4 for (slt detention )they ring me for that though. I don't know what else to do or say anymore I know he's no saint I agree in punishment but for God sake HELP THE CHILDREN . Spend less time on wrong shoes, 2 earrings, a chain etc more on the child's mental state or am i just a bad parent.

There's obviously a problem that needs to be sorted, but it's not just up to the school to sort it. Have you talked to him? Don't believe it's all the other kids fault or the teachers who are to blame; all kids say that when they're in trouble, it's their first line of defence. You have to back the teachers up and present a united front. Believe it or not, they want the best for your son too, but they also have to weigh up the best interests of all the other children too, and one disruptive child can ruin a lesson. They are not the enemy, and will help you all they can, if you show you are singing from the same songsheet.

PS. The stuff about earrings, chains etc might not seem important, but it's really about obeying rules. And all kids have to obey the same rules or there's anarchy.