THINK I've just been caught speeding on motorway

I'd agree with that. If that's proving contentious with people its rather scarey...

I also think it's C A B. It is difficult because bother A and B are turning right and across each other but I have gone for A second because B has the give way sign on the side of the road and markings on the road.

This is doing the rounds on FB at the moment. Who has right of way?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c134/gibbo501/row_1.jpg

It scares me that so many people are getting it wrong, but justifying why they think they're right.

Yeah, I've seen that, CAB if I remember correctly.

Quite a large number of people saying A had priority though. But basically they've not looked closely enough.

This is doing the rounds on FB at the moment. Who has right of way?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c134/gibbo501/row_1.jpg

It scares me that so many people are getting it wrong, but justifying why they think they're right.

Sorry to be a pain but there is only notional priority.

"The rules in the HC do not allow for a right of way in any circumstance." (Page 34). So don't use those words in an insurance claim or think you have it on the road.

---------- Post added 22-03-2017 at 05:55 ----------

Not sure where you get the £110m from but i'd like to hazard a guess its a lot more, the awreness course I went to had 5 classes running concurrently with around 20-25 in each class, 5.5 days a week at £85 a time work that one out.

Old figures/news but this article fills in some background details and suggests a similar figure:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7909246/Treasury-set-to-cash-in-on-speeding-fines.html

Sorry to be a pain but there is only notional priority.

"The rules in the HC do not allow for a right of way in any circumstance." (Page 34). So don't use those words in an insurance claim or think you have it on the road.

So how do you ever proceed past a junction? If you don't assume you have priority you must be down to 5mph, creeping forwards, just in case the car waiting at the give way line decides to move forwards...

So how do you ever proceed past a junction? If you don't assume you have priority you must be down to 5mph, creeping forwards, just in case the car waiting at the give way line decides to move forwards...

The System doesn't suggest 5mph necessarily:

Info Take Use Give: see the junction; look into it for any evidence of anyone planning to exit; gain eye contact (CRUCIAL); be prepared to use the horn; have headlights are already on to be seen.

Position: consider whether taking up a wider position is an option (to see more, to be seen earlier, to be further away from an impact.

Speed: if none of this has improved anything, consider a different speed (it can be safer to get past the hazard earlier).

Gear: select a flexible and responsive gear to complete

Accelerate: get going.

Gain eye contact, whilst doing 50/60 mph and observing a car ahead waiting at a giveway whilst traffic ahead of you passes it? Basically impossible.

Do you stop the flow of traffic you're in, or do you quite reasonably assume that the car won't suddenly drive forward into your path?

Gain eye contact, whilst doing 50/60 mph and observing a car ahead waiting at a giveway whilst traffic ahead of you passes it? Basically impossible.

Do you stop the flow of traffic you're in, or do you quite reasonably assume that the car won't suddenly drive forward into your path?

We disagree. Ass-u-me (?) Once again, you stretch my words to the n'th degree for no other reason than you fancy an argument (I reckon) and have the last word.

Driving/riding to the clear piece of tarmac ahead of you (and not paying any attention to the dangers coming from the sides in all contexts/speeds) comes with the risk of being surprised and of getting involved with someone else's "failed to look properly" (SMIDSY): a single factor quoted on Stats19 that outnumbers any other single factor and which is a factor in more than 40% of all injury collisions that are attended by the Police.

For "gaining eye-contact" at high speeds/from a distance read "look at the head, read the body language. See more than "are the wheels turning?"

You must be doing something wrong then I've never had trouble doing it.

The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158

You must be doing something wrong then I've never had trouble doing it.

What distance can you make out someone's eyes? Whilst also keeping good observation of the road and your surroundings of course, and driving at 50 or 60 mph.

How about this junction.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.380156,-1.5666181,3a,75y,235.31h,87.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sro5bdNKEqGg8qSVG6v1k2w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

You're on the A57 manchester bound, you can make eye contact with a driver looking for a space to pull out from RVR? Not even on a perfect day.

---------- Post added 28-03-2017 at 18:22 ----------

We disagree. Ass-u-me (?) Once again, you stretch my words to the n'th degree for no other reason than you fancy an argument (I reckon) and have the last word.

I take your words at face value and apply them to real situations where they don't actually make sense. That's not stretching them, it just means that like a lot of blanket advise, they don't always make sense.

Driving/riding to the clear piece of tarmac ahead of you (and not paying any attention to the dangers coming from the sides in all contexts/speeds) comes with the risk of being surprised and of getting involved with someone else's "failed to look properly" (SMIDSY): a single factor quoted on Stats19 that outnumbers any other single factor and which is a factor in more than 40% of all injury collisions that are attended by the Police.

For "gaining eye-contact" at high speeds/from a distance read "look at the head, read the body language. See more than "are the wheels turning?"

I didn't say we should ignore traffic waiting to pull out. We DO have to assume that it won't pull out, until we see some reason to believe otherwise, otherwise it would be impossible to actually get anywhere.

If I dare to try to rephrase, you're saying, observe as much as you can, the position of the car, the angle of the wheels, whether it's stationary, which way the driver is looking (if you can tell), if possible make eye contact. Observe as much as possible to make a reasoned judgement regarding whether they have seen you and are giving you priority.

It's motorbike-doable on UK roads ;)

On open roads, I'll own up to 250 kph speedo (CX 2.5 GTI Turbo, it was the Porsche's fault) and 140mph speedo (1.8 MX-5, it was the Elise's fault), emtpy-enough motorways each time.

But that was never in the UK (it's always been far too busy for my taste), and so long ago that there must be prescription by now :D

yes it was a motorbike