Another vote t'other side of the Border.

They can have it after Brexit though, not mid-way through...

They can't because resolving this issue is a constitutional requirement that needs to be resolved before Article 50 can be invoked.

Though I expect May to invoke it anyway, it just won't be valid. Perhaps that is part of her cunning plan to remain?

They can't because resolving this issue is a constitutional requirement that needs to be resolved before Article 50 can be invoked.

Though I expect May to invoke it anyway, it just won't be valid. Perhaps that is part of her cunning plan to remain?

No it isn't. Gina Miller's court case resolved this. The supreme court has ruled on the matter. The UK parliament has the sole authority to withdraw the whole of the UK from the EU. Once that's done Scotland (with Westminster's permission) might vote for independence. What they do with that independence if they get it (which they probably won't because they likely won't vote for it) ceases to be our concern. If they want to petition to join the EU under Lisbon 49 I wish them good luck.

No it isn't. Gina Miller's court case resolved this. The supreme court has ruled on the matter. The UK parliament has the sole authority to withdraw the whole of the UK from the EU. Once that's done Scotland (with Westminster's permission) might vote for independence. What they do with that independence if they get it (which they probably won't because they likely won't vote for it) ceases to be our concern. If they want to petition to join the EU under Lisbon 49 I wish them good luck.
The timing is moot: the EU would roll Scotland a red carpet now or later, in the expectation of geo-locking Wangland when Ireland reunites (and the Republic rolls NI (back-) into the EU in exactly the same way West Germany rolled the DDR into the EC way back when) :)

The timing is moot: the EU would roll Scotland a red carpet now or later, in the expectation of geo-locking Wangland when Ireland reunites (and the Republic rolls NI into the EU in exactly the same way West Germany rolled the DDR into the EC way back when) :)

The EU might be well-disposed toward such an application. Indeed I hope they will. It's still a process and I doubt they'd offer Scotland the special terms such as rebate and exclusion from EMU that the UK has.

The NI matter is far simpler as they'd be joining an existing member. So I don't see any problem there.

No it isn't. Gina Miller's court case resolved this. The supreme court has ruled on the matter...

The court ruled on the law, not the constitution. Parliament has the authority to invoke Article 50, but it has to meet the requirements of the treaty: ie to meet all of its constitutional requirements.

The court ruled on the law, not the constitution. Parliament has the authority to invoke Article 50, but it has to meet the requirements of the treaty: ie to meet all of its constitutional requirements.

That's just nonsense. It really is. The supreme court ruled on the constitutional law of the UK.

The EU might be well-disposed toward such an application. Indeed I hope they will. It's still a process and I doubt they'd offer Scotland the special terms such as rebate and exclusion from EMU that the UK has.
I very much doubt that Scotland would be bothered about a rebate, pro-rata'd or not, in view of their infrastuctural spend requirements, or that they'd be opposed to their inclusion into the EMU, given that maintaining the £ would subject their policies to the vagaries of Nos. 10 and 11 Downing Street.

Support for Scottish independence is now 'at its highest ever level' amongst 16-24 year olds.

I very much doubt that Scotland would be bothered about a rebate, pro-rata'd or not, in view of their infrastuctural spend requirements, or that they'd be opposed to their inclusion into the EMU, given that maintaining the £ would subject their policies to the vagaries of Nos. 10 and 11 Downing Street.

Depends if the SNP is prepared to disgruntle the part of its base which is for true independence.

The option is not £ or €. It's their own currency or €. We should not allow an independent Scotland to stay in the currency union.

Support for Scottish independence is now 'at its highest ever level' amongst 16-24 year olds.

That's not surprising, but not that important unless you expect older people to be excluded from the vote.

Depends if the SNP is prepared to disgruntle the part of its base which is for true independence.

The option is not £ or €. It's their own currency or €. We should not allow an independent Scotland to stay in the currency union.

You assume Westminster wouldn't want to try and keep an oar in by the currency backdoor.

See, another reason why they wouldn't stick to the £ :)

That's not surprising, but not that important unless you expect older people to be excluded from the vote.
I don't.

However I do expect them to, unlike their English counterparts, remember who'll be paying their pensions and choosing their retirement homes, when they rock up to the ballot box :lol:

You assume Westminster wouldn't want to try and keep an oar in by the currency backdoor.

See, another reason why they wouldn't stick to the £ :)

I don't.

As Scotland exports far more to the rest of the UK than the EU I would have thought it better for them to keep the pound.

63% to the rest of the UK.

16% to the EU.

As Scotland exports far more to the rest of the UK than the EU I would have thought it better for them to keep the pound.

63% to the rest of the UK.

16% to the EU.

Yes. You're dealing with the SNP here. Logic doesn't factor in.

I'm against allowing them to keep the pound. There's no reason to allow them to be part of the UK internal market.

Yes. You're dealing with the SNP here. Logic doesn't factor in.

I'm against allowing them to keep the pound. There's no reason to allow them to be part of the UK internal market.

I understand that and also agree that should be the case if they become independent. If they want to join the EU after any independence then they should accept the Euro. Any independence of Scotland will also have to follow similar rules as the UK has to with Brexit and in this case those rules will be drawn up by parliament. Its also one of the reasons I think that any INDY referendum should not take place till we have Brexit over and done with.