Another vote t'other side of the Border.

No that`s the statistics as to whether Independence will win, not whether there should be a referendum at all. I thought I heard support for an independence referendum was 35% odd, I was simply pointing out that`s far higher than the %age of voters who were concerned about the EU (enough to put it in their top three of concerns anyway), yet they had a referendum on that.

You have presented no comparable poll on the desire of the UK people to have a Brexit vote.

And you've misread the data. The polls I link to are on whether the referendum should be held. If you're interested in voting intention we've covered it on the Brexit thread.

.. I thought I heard support for an independence referendum was 35% odd, I was simply pointing out that`s far higher than the %age of voters who were concerned about the EU (enough to put it in their top three of concerns anyway), yet they had a referendum on that.

The % of voters in that poll were asked about Europe, which is not the same as asking about the EU as you well know.

The % of voters in that poll were asked about Europe, which is not the same as asking about the EU as you well know.

I think the subtlety of that is not relevant for that poll. There is no mention of the EU at all, but I`m prepared to accept that people mentioning Europe, meant the EU.

I think the subtlety of that is not relevant for that poll. There is no mention of the EU at all, but I`m prepared to accept that people mentioning Europe, meant the EU.

Then it was a badly flawed poll and should not be relied on.

Then it was a badly flawed poll and should not be relied on.

Alternatively: even the SNP considered at the time that it resolved the issue for at least a generation.

Maybe in Scotland 'a generation' means two years!

Alternatively: even the SNP considered at the time that it resolved the issue for at least a generation.

Actually the poll that I was referring to and which Justin Smith keeps banging on about was this, his link:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/04/15/health-tops-immigration-second-most-important-issu/

Which has changed since he first posted the link a while back claiming this;

Quote:

"And let`s remember that before the last General Election only 15% of voters put Europe in their top three of concerns"

In which I pointed out that Europe and the EU are not the same. Trouble is some are mixing up threads.

Or maybe a material alteration to your circumstances entitles you to reconsider your position

Or maybe a material alteration to your circumstances entitles you to reconsider your position

I don't think anyone is denying that they can reconsider their position but what do they gain by doing it now rather that after Brexit in a few years time?

I don't think anyone is denying that they can reconsider their position but what do they gain by doing it now rather that after Brexit in a few years time?

They can try to refrain from leaving the EU. They may yet unite the rest of the kingdom and chuck out England. There are a number of possibilities.

Control of their own destiny?

The ability to decide for themselves how they want to be governed rather than being dictated to by an intransigent organisation that doesn't represent their wishes?

Do you really need me to explain to you why the people of a particular country might want decisions that affect them to be made by them?

And yes I've heard all the arguments ad nauseum about the Scots being better off in the UK than the EU, but it is their decision, not ours

If I was Scottish, I'd be voting for independence & I am genuinely surprised how few English brexiteers support the Scot's right to self-determination

What's sauce for the goose...

I am genuinely surprised how few English brexiteers support the Scot's right to self-determination .

I think they're fwightened that the certain breakup of the union might cause May to reconsider on Brexit. I think their fears are groundless except for the point I made earlier.

Though I suppose that risk of delay exposes the quitlings general fear that they'll be found out and stopped before it is too late...

I don't have a problem with the SNP having another referendum. Apparently a generation in Scotland is about 5 years. They can have it after Brexit though, not mid-way through. Otherwise they'll want another one afterwards.