Newly resurfaced roads breaking up already

Thanks for your replys. I spoke to a member of staff at amey finally after going through many automated questions to tell them ' how would they feel if they came home from work to find they had no phone,tv,or internet with 2teenage daughters in the house. He giggled and said he would stay away until the dust settles. Need I say more. I have come to realise that there is no point talking on the phone to complain as there is no record. You must put all complaints in writing. Will keep you posted how I get on. P.s. how do they get away with such behaviour time and time again? It's like living in the twigs light zone. Cheers

The road i live on lasted a week before the tarmac lifted in the first rainstorm it had to contend with.

Can anybody tell me how to get in touch with someone in authority at amey

Having the pavement resurfaced outside my house at beauchief and they sliced through my virgin cable with the digger. This has left me with no phone,tv or most of all internet. They never told me and when I challenged the workmen they just gave me a number to to call virgin. Why am I left to sort this out as it was in fact totally ameys fault in the first place

Please help it's like banging my head against a brick wall.

You shouldn't be having to sort this out as it was entirely somebody else's fault. Don't know the contact of anyone in authority at Amey but I would certainly be ringing up the council to complain if I was you.

Anyone else noticed how quickly some of the newly-laid roads are deteriorating? I was driving up through Walkey and into Crookes yesterday and noticed areas where the road seems to be slumping & breaking up, I'm sure it's affecting some areas that have been resurfaced. I was driving across town and saw the same on Abbeydale Rd South, Hangingwater Rd & roads around High Storrs and Dore that seem to have been only just been done. The road surface on Carterknowle Rd has also started to break up. Is this typical? If so, is there a clause in the Streets Ahead contract that means bad workmanship will get rectified at the contractor's expense?

Guest makapaka
Anyone else noticed how quickly some of the newly-laid roads are deteriorating? I was driving up through Walkey and into Crookes yesterday and noticed areas where the road seems to be slumping & breaking up, I'm sure it's affecting some areas that have been resurfaced. I was driving across town and saw the same on Abbeydale Rd South, Hangingwater Rd & roads around High Storrs and Dore that seem to have been only just been done. The road surface on Carterknowle Rd has also started to break up. Is this typical? If so, is there a clause in the Streets Ahead contract that means bad workmanship will get rectified at the contractor's expense?

The contractor is responsible for maintaining the roads for the next 25 years so don't worry.

I've noticed that Ripley Street in Hillsborough,is in a shocking state just lately.

And I'm sure this was only just resurfaced in the past 3 years or so.

The contractor is responsible for maintaining the roads for the next 25 years so don't worry.

Thanks for that :) It's not all that reassuring though - having an outfit that can't seem to do a proper job responsible for maintaining the roads for the next 25 years does not fill me with joy! Remember we are/will be paying though the nose for this. I fear the Council Tax payers of Sheffield are getting shafted :(

it would be nice to get the chance.. not seen a newly surfaced road round where I live.. there absolutely atrocious.

If so, is there a clause in the Streets Ahead contract that means bad workmanship will get rectified at the contractor's expense?

You would think that would be the case wouldn't you? You'd expect any even half decent council to have put that clause in the contract.

We shall never know however as details of the contract have been judged to be "commercially sensitive" despite Freedom of Information requests. :suspect:

The thickness of the material they are laying is just not good enough and the team responsible for filling in the gaps around ironworks need retraining or replacing

You would think that would be the case wouldn't you? You'd expect any even half decent council to have put that clause in the contract.

We shall never know however as details of the contract have been judged to be "commercially sensitive" despite Freedom of Information requests. :suspect:

Has anybody taken this to the information commissioner's office (ICO)? There is a presumption in favour of disclosure under FoI and a public interest test needs to be done, so if the public interest outweighs the adverse consequence of disclosure then the requested info must be disclosed. I can understand commercial confidentiality being a significant issue during tendering, but not so much now. I would think that the Council's stance on this could be robustly challenged ;)

mention some footpaths recently done by amey in last 18 months in a right state ,told will repair at the end of all the work,they should last longer than that,at this rate all the lot will need re-doing soon.