Rehoming a whole house of possessions

I'm moving abroad soon, after 19 years in Sheffield and 10 in the same house, so we've got to seriously reduce the amount of possessions we have. I've looked into shipping things, but it's not worth it for anything that's replaceable - shipping would work out more expensive than just buying new stuff once we're in our new home. I'm trying to figure out the best way to rehome things - obviously there are charity shops, Freecycle and so on, but while I've always donated things after having a minor clear out, I'm reluctant to just give absolutely everything away for nothing. We'll be leaving our house furnished and renting it out, so we won't need to rehome any furniture, but we'll have lots of books, clothes, CDs, DVDs, kitchen stuff, electronics etc that we've built up over the years - there aren't really any single items that are worth a lot, but everything together would add up to quite a lot of money when it comes to replacing the essentials once we've moved.

There are plenty of things that I could get some money for on eBay, but it'd take ages to list it all so I'd rather only do that for things I could get a decent amount for. Car boot sales are OK for small amounts of stuff, but all of our stuff would take up far too much space! I'd be interested to know what other people have done in this situation - is there a simple way to sell lots of stuff that isn't going to take up too much time? I've got enough to be doing before we move, without having to spend hours Ebaying stuff!

You could bundle things together for eBay or Gumtree sales rather than single items. For example CDs could be grouped into genre or artist, or just 4 or 5 random parts with photos so buyer can check what's there. It's not going to get best price but better than a charity shop dropoff.

Have you tried advertising on preloved on line or in the Admag? Its quicker than ebay listings. Have you tried posting on the forum in the correct section?

I never think of Gumtree but you could try that.

You could try auction houses but you don't get much after commission. I sometimes look at Paul Beighton auctions in Thurcroft but there is bound to be one nearer you.

Oh...also local Facebook groups for selling stuff in your postcode area.

This problem also arises on houses owned by people who die. The executors have to clear a lot of clothing, furniture, kitchenware, etc.

Try the St Vincent charity place (Queens Road)? It will take furniture in reasonable condition (but not electrical goods or settees/chairs lacking 'foam safety' labels.

This problem also arises on houses owned by people who die. The executors have to clear a lot of clothing, furniture, kitchenware, etc.

I had to do this after my Dad died. Emmaus took a lot of it and I'd recommend them, they collect and were very punctual, professional and friendly. They do take electrical goods.

Emmaus are good, they're a great bunch of people. When we had a large amount of furniture and kitchen ware to get rid of, they came to collect. Be aware though, that they won't take things if they don't think they will be able to sell it, as it costs them to store/dispose of it.

I'm moving abroad soon, after 19 years in Sheffield and 10 in the same house, so we've got to seriously reduce the amount of possessions we have ... We'll be leaving our house furnished and renting it out, so we won't need to rehome any furniture, but we'll have lots of books, clothes, CDs, DVDs, kitchen stuff, electronics etc that we've built up over the years - ...

where are you moving abroad to?

renting your house out makes it sound like you may be coming back at some point. is this so? you have any relatives/friends who can store your stuff for you?

if you're leaving for good i'd just dump everything you've mentioned (suggestions in the thread) and have fun building stuff up again at your new place.