Where is best to live in Sheffield for young professionals?

Professional generally refers to someone who has a degree. Not that this makes them better people or anything, just what it means.

---------- Post added 12-03-2017 at 18:21 ----------

Who cares, they've said what kind of area they're looking for. Either we can help or not. Don't argue about whether they should actually want to live next to an 80 year old couple.

I'd suggest Crookes towards the Heavygate Rd end, Lower Walkley, Hillsborough.

Or the various apartment developments in S1 or around Neepsend.

Or:

professional

adjective

1.relating to or belonging to a profession.

"young professional people"

synonyms: white-collar, executive, non-manual

"people in professional occupations"

2.engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur.

"a professional boxer"

synonyms: paid, salaried, non-amateur, full-time

"a professional tennis player"

noun

1.a person engaged or qualified in a profession.

"professionals such as lawyers and surveyors"

synonyms: white-collar worker, professional worker, office worker

"affluent young professionals"

---------- Post added 12-03-2017 at 18:25 ----------

Hi there everyone.

This is my first post on here. I know that this has been mentioned before but the replies are from years back and need a more recent response.

My boyfriend and I are looking to buy a house in an area in Sheffield. We are wanting an area that has a good community spirit, preferably with pubs/restaurants/bars there so we don't have to go into Sheffield every single time. We don't want to live in a massively populated student area, but at the same time don't want to live surrounded by old people. So anywhere that is in-between, even people beginning to have families, would be ideal. (For example places like London Road we would not be interested in and would prefer a quieter area with a few pubs)

If it is far out from the centre then good links to trams/trains would be good.

Thank you!

Chesterfield Rd/Abbeydale Rd will probably suit you and your budget. Plenty of places to eat and drink and well connected to city via public transport.

Edited by S1 1DJ

Professional generally refers to someone who has a degree. Not that this makes them better people or anything, just what it means.

---------- Post added 12-03-2017 at 18:21 ----------

Who cares, they've said what kind of area they're looking for. Either we can help or not. Don't argue about whether they should actually want to live next to an 80 year old couple.

I'd suggest Crookes towards the Heavygate Rd end, Lower Walkley, Hillsborough.

Or the various apartment developments in S1 or around Neepsend.

I can't believe it's caused such controversy. I only meant I don't want to live in a quiet area haha!!

Thanks so much for suggesting places and helping me out! I'll have a look at those on rightmove now :) appreciate it x

I think most places in Sheffield fit what the OP is looking for - there are a few areas that are over populated by students - though Broomhill and Crookes are very nice.

I like Handsworth, Frecheville and Intake. They are pleasant enough, and have a wide variety houses for all age groups. Good luck

How about you find some places in your price range, right number of bedrooms, garden, garage or whatever then come back on here with a list of the areas. That way, we can tell you the pros and cons of those particular areas.

How about you find some places in your price range, right number of bedrooms, garden, garage or whatever then come back on here with a list of the areas. That way, we can tell you the pros and cons of those particular areas.

^^This^^

Its that easy.

Have a look around Crookes, Walkley or Meersbrook. Dore is very nice if a bit sleepy, but it all depends what you are looking for.

This question is asked a lot in here and this is probably the definitive answer.

Young professionals are currently moving into Crookes, Walkley and Meersbrook in droves. If you want a house out in the suburbs with a garage then there is a lot of Sheffield where you will get more for your money. If you want local community, pubs, shops, community groups, play groups for kids, parks etc, all less than 5 minutes walk away from your front door and your budget is £200k then Crookes, Walkley & Meersbrook are your areas. You will get a decent 3 bed terrace for this.

Schools somewhat determine prices in these areas. We are in Crookes and if your house is in Lydgate primary school catchment it will cost slightly more.

Forgot to add, if you like busy areas and like apartments then the city centre has a lot to offer (less in the community sense).

hunters bar great resteraunts pubs and top class primary school.

How would you feel about living next to someone who didn't work? Would that put you off ?

Probably Crookes/Meersbrook/Abbeydale Road/Kelham Island in that order. Ecclesall Road is the best area for "neighborhood" restaurants but house prices reflect this.

Don't worry about the folks with chips on their shoulder on this thread. You don't get their type around those parts.

Definitely try S10, nethergreen, ranmoor, endcliffe

Guest sibon
Around the 200,000 mark :)

With that sort of budget, you will get very little in Broomhill, Nether Green etc.

I'd suggest looking at Meersbrook very carefully. There is some lovely property there and it has great pubs, cafes and restaurants. Failing that, the Hillsborough end of Walkley might appeal to you.

Hi,

Welcome to Sheffield. This is actually a very welcoming City - some of the comments on here don't show that - Your budget will enable you to find homes in Crookes, Walkley or Meersbrook. These are all good parts of Sheffield and close to the City Centre. Sheffield is a lovely City to live in - ignore the miseries - come to Sheffield and have a good life.