Where is best to live in Sheffield for young professionals?

....... i dont live in sheffield lol

Nowhere near me thanks !

The OP wanted advice about living in Sheffield. As you don't live here then your advice would be as useless as it usually is.

Totley, Dore, Fulwood, Crosspool, Bradway and Ecclesall Rd South. Good Luck

You'll need it with a 200K budget....nice areas though.

Our first house was a terrace in Ranmoor, great area, quiet but within easy walking distance of restaurants and pubs in Broomhill and Hunters Bar, and there are some great pubs and restaurants, and local shops, in Ranmoor/Nether Green.

Again though, I think to buy that same terrace house now would cost me more than 200K.

sthornton13 - please remember that the reason you are now a 'young professional' yourself and able to afford to buy your own home is, in no small part due to 'old people' who fought for your freedom in the war, taught you throughout your years of education, cared for you when you were ill, provided your food, clothing and shelter, not to mention those members of your family who brought you up. Judging by your out and out ageism the latter could have perhaps done a better job in teaching you to respect and be kind to everyone, regardless of age. You would not have made such a comment about ethnicity due to racism laws but you can disparage an entire section of the population. Your comment is offensive to older people. You may wish to reflect (or not) that you too will be old one day, in which case hopefully young people will have better manners than your own.

Enjoyed reading this and every thing you have wrote I agree with you. The young professional could have worded the ageism differently.

However I do hope they find their dream home.

sthornton13 - please remember that the reason you are now a 'young professional' yourself and able to afford to buy your own home is, in no small part due to 'old people' who fought for your freedom in the war...

Inappropriate rant snipped. The o/p was simply asking where do young professionals tend to congregate in Sheffield. These areas tend to be full of like-minded, "creative" people with no, or very young, children. They form a social network that goes on to support the startups that (hopefully) become the companies of the future. Oh, and they like the same music :)

Back on topic - has anyone mentioned the Kelham Island area, or is that going to be too pricey?

Another vote for the Meersbrook area. Primary schools are generally good around there too if that's what you are planning for in the future. Lovely park, community feel, 20 walk into city centre, plenty of really nice pubs and restaurants.

Crookes and Walkley are also nice, but I'd prefer the Meersbrook side. Prices are rising in Meersbrook rapidly, but £200k should get you a semi-detached place or a larger terrace on one of the roads near the park. Anything over-looking to park will almost certainly be out of budget!

Totley, Dore, Fulwood, Crosspool, Bradway and Ecclesall Rd South. Good Luck

But budget £200000 - ? Wouldn`t get much for your buck - ?

Another vote for the Meersbrook area. Primary schools are generally good around there too if that's what you are planning for in the future. Lovely park, community feel, 20 walk into city centre, plenty of really nice pubs and restaurants.

Crookes and Walkley are also nice, but I'd prefer the Meersbrook side. Prices are rising in Meersbrook rapidly, but £200k should get you a semi-detached place or a larger terrace on one of the roads near the park. Anything over-looking to park will almost certainly be out of budget!

Meersbrook seems like the sensible answer to this question. Based around a lovely park, easy access to the city centre, low levels of crime, a large number of shops, cafes and restaurants on nearby Chesterfield and Abbeydale Roads and swarming with "young professionals." Not to mention that Meersbrook Bank Primary regularly has some of the best results in the city. You're right that prices are rising rapidly and certainly the roads overlooking the park would be out of reach (houses on Brook Road and Meersbrook Park Road are going for between 300k and 400k) but you could still get a smaller terrace on the roads nearby in good condition for between £160k and £190k (the larger terraces on Burcot Road, Binfield Road, Argyle Road and Beeton Road are going for over 200k these days though).

I'm a young professional living in Hillsborough, and I like it. Not sure it fits your criteria for pubs and restaurants though!

I don't tend to go to many of the pubs close to me, though that may be more a function of why I'm going to the pub/who I'm meeting than anything else.

The shops are OK, and the transport links are pretty good.

Close to the countryside too!

So unless we're talking about non amateur athletes, young professional doesn't mean plumbers and joiners, it means what I said, did you post that just to agree with me?

---------- Post added 12-03-2017 at 21:40 ----------

If it helps, myself and the then girlfriend (now wife) bought in Lower Walkley after we graduated, we stayed for a decade before moving a little further away. It was conveniently close to what she knew having been a student at the uni, but far enough away to be out of the student 'only' areas. It had shops and was convenient for the tram, and got us a reasonable house for the money.

Well​, professional can refer to anyone regardless of having a degree or not. Not just "generally".

Plenty of people out there with that status that haven't gone on to Higher Education.

---------- Post added 13-03-2017 at 18:33 ----------

....this is Sheffield Forum......

And, not representative of the population Sheffield :D

When you are no longer a 'young' professional, ie you've climbed the ladder a bit, you'll consider moving out of Sheffield altogether and think about living in Derbyshire eg Baslow, Hope Valley etc and commute.

sthornton13 - please remember that the reason you are now a 'young professional' yourself and able to afford to buy your own home is, in no small part due to 'old people' who fought for your freedom in the war, taught you throughout your years of education, cared for you when you were ill, provided your food, clothing and shelter, not to mention those members of your family who brought you up. Judging by your out and out ageism the latter could have perhaps done a better job in teaching you to respect and be kind to everyone, regardless of age. You would not have made such a comment about ethnicity due to racism laws but you can disparage an entire section of the population. Your comment is offensive to older people. You may wish to reflect (or not) that you too will be old one day, in which case hopefully young people will have better manners than your own.

Oh lighten up! I too am a senior citizen but in no way did I take offence at the OP. It's only natural that people want to gravitate towards people of their own age. It's people like you who give us wrinklies a bad press - live and let live!