Car Insurance - Stopped by Police.

You stole the car and then drove it uninsured. Were you stopped because he'd reported it stolen? That still doesn't make sense, they wouldn't have let you drive off in it then.

I don't really understand why they pulled you in the first place as the car itself would have been showing as insured.

Been at police station, they recorded it as no insurance, waiting for the police to reply now

You will receive a court summons for driving without third party insurance.

You stole the car and then drove it uninsured. Were you stopped because he'd reported it stolen? That still doesn't make sense, they wouldn't have let you drive off in it then.

I don't really understand why they pulled you in the first place as the car itself would have been showing as insured.

if the police do an ANPR and shows that it is insured to a 50yr old man and they see a 20yr old driving, thats how they catch car thieves

the above may explain things a bit clearer

Perhaps, but that must mean they stop a lot of young adults driving their parents cars.

Perhaps, but that must mean they stop a lot of young adults driving their parents cars.

I doubt that happens. For starters only traffic cars have live ANPR in them, all other police cars need to either radio through for a vehicle check or look it up on their blackberry (unless things have changed in the 3 years since I was a Special). Also, the basic info displayed will just show if the car is insured or not, you'd have to do a further check to see details of exactly who is insured to drive it. Coupled with reduced numbers of police and a lack of time to check things like this I find the idea that you got pulled over because the copper had taken the time to get the extra checks run on a total whim highly implausible, I suspect there was another reason for pulling him over and then they carried out a full insurance and driver check at that point. Add with the fact they need seem to say that the took the car without permission it's all getting a bit weird and my original sympathy for what seemed to be genuine mistake is eroding rapidly.

Edited by sgtkate

Indeed, it all struck me as a little bit odd. Like we didn't quite have the full story.

I was fined for no insurance some years ago.

The punishment is quite severe when you consider that it is just a monetary issue, often an oversight.

Unlike speeding or using a mobile phone, which make it more likely that you will harm someone.

Wow !!!!

Do you believe that?