Car Insurance - Stopped by Police.

I'm sure we'd all like to hear how things turn out.

It may be a bit late now, but in all communication with the police, I hope the OP has been talking about their father doing the online addition to his policy and not the OP changing the father's policy.

Similarly, it should be the father doing the communicating with the insurance company.

Is the father also at risk of points and a fine? If the OP is convicted, is the father also at risk for allowing his car to be driven without insurance?

I wouldn't be surprised if the web arm of the insurers doesn't have some sort of catch all statement that negates the liability of the company IF after fully checking the applicant it deems not to accept the business.

Underwriters may have assessed the application and terminated it.

My online insurers email everything including all documents and cover notes IF and only if it accepts everything usually within minutes,amendments are received in seconds. Until the documents arrive then i assume i'm not insured as i can't prove anything.

I've been fined for no insurance myself some 20 years ago when i drove my own car and was insured by an employer on the group policy.

Whilst serving my notice period they cancelled my insurance cover which i wasn't aware of(it was part of my contract so they were obliged to provide it for the notice peirod) and i had a copy of my group policy in my car.

I explained my circumstances in court - and this was the unfortunate bit,the panel and the CPS accepted my reasons BUT they had to issue a fine and 6 points because i couldn't produce valid documents. The fine included court costs for the CPS and it was substantial at the time,but they were understanding or it cold have been worse.

Edited by willman

Is the father also at risk of points and a fine? If the OP is convicted, is the father also at risk for allowing his car to be driven without insurance?

Only if 'use,cause or permit' could be proved.

Only if 'use,cause or permit' could be proved.

...but if not, then surely it would be "taking without consent"?

Only if father wants to throw his son under the bus!

Been at police station, they recorded it as no insurance, waiting for the police to reply now

Been at police station, they recorded it as no insurance, waiting for the police to reply now

I was fined for no insurance some years ago.

The punishment is quite severe when you consider that it is just a monetary issue, often an oversight.

Unlike speeding or using a mobile phone, which make it more likely that you will harm someone.

:( bummer. Hope they take account of your belief you genuinely held insurance so give you the minimum penalty they can.

Hello. I would need advice or help from other users on here :)

Yesterday, 11/3 at 12:30 am, I was stopped by the police officer because allegedly I was not "insured". I just passed my practical test 3 days ago, and on 10/03, I amended online my fathers policy; I added myself onto it as additional driver. Police stopped me and gave me producer to show the Insurance Certificate to the local police station in 7 days. However as I checked with the insurance company, the amedment which I have made, did not go through their system one hour later, even tho the webiste said it did, and I didnt know I wasnt insured. I am going to say this on monday at my local police station, will I still possibly get 6 points on my licence, as if I do it would be taken from me. Thanks

They stopped you for not being insured, presumably using ANPR to identify the car as not insured, except it was insured by your father? And didn't his policy cover 3rd party drivers with permission anyway (perhaps that isn't standard)...

Only if father wants to throw his son under the bus!

But doesn't it boil down to...

Without father's consent = taking without consent.

With father's consent = they are both at fault and subject to penalty

No my father did not give me a consent to take the car