Car Insurance - Stopped by Police.

How did the police know to pull you over due to no insurance?

If you had added yourself as an additional driver to your fathers policy then surely that car would show as insured?

If it's a new car then probably need a new policy unless it's a multicar policy, but then if you're the main driver you need to be the main driver on the policy, otherwise you're fronting, which would make your insurance void anyway.

A friend of mine did that and named her mum as the main driver on her car, when in fact she never even drove it.

She was convicted and now her premiums are sky high. Some companies even refuse to insure her.

A friend of mine did that and named her mum as the main driver on her car, when in fact she never even drove it.

She was convicted and now her premiums are sky high. Some companies even refuse to insure her.

This is why you should always be truthful to your insurance company. As you cant drive if you cant get insurance. Like the OP if he gets banned which he will if he gets 6 points. Glad its him paying his insurance in a couple of years time. Hard lesson to learn.

As harsh as it sounds i'm glad people get caught for it, it only raises everyone elses premiums!

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine in the early 80's and it was a genuine mistake. My friend and his dad sorted it down at the police station and no charges were pursued. That was in the early 80's though so probably no comparison to now but I'm only assuming that.

If you sorted the insurance out straight away after you found out there was a problem, as they did, then that would be massively in you're favour. If you haven't bothered, then that aint going to look good.

Stupid question but was the insurance for the correct car?

What may have tipped them off is the age difference between the person who they thought was insured and was driving. the car itself would have shown as insured on ANPR if your dad is the policy holder for that vehicle

Policies are normally done instantly, you get a conformation email almost straight away, why was there a problem?

The Police will ask this question, sometimes people take out insurance and then dont keep up with the payments.

Policies are normally done instantly, you get a conformation email almost straight away, why was there a problem?

The Police will ask this question, sometimes people take out insurance and then dont keep up with the payments.

All of mine have been instant, Even when changing vehicle part way through the policy. I get a printable policy. Something went wrong with the OP insurance. Good luck for Tomorrow OP. Dont think you will get away with it so to speak. As no insurance is a big no no.

So a named not main driver who needs to drive the car within hours of insuring it and the insurance goes through an hour after being stopped, absolute piffle.

Save money on solicitor fees

Go down the station ... explain your self with bank statement showes money left your account and from your point of view it was all correct. If they didn't accept, fill the paper for court then get a itemised bill for your phone that you call the insurance to add your self as a driver or browser history showed the day you have have been on their website which matches the payment date.

If you need further help, message me and I try to help you ... FREE

Court for driving isn't that serious so dnt be afraid... judges are nice ... just dnt EVER lie about anything to them

Good luck

Save money on solicitor fees

Go down the station ... explain your self with bank statement showes money left your account and from your point of view it was all correct. If they didn't accept, fill the paper for court then get a itemised bill for your phone that you call the insurance to add your self as a driver or browser history showed the day you have have been on their website which matches the payment date.

If you need further help, message me and I try to help you ... FREE

Court for driving isn't that serious so dnt be afraid... judges are nice ... just dnt EVER lie about anything to them

Good luck

I am no expert in this field but surely it is not as simple as that.

A bank statement showing money being paid to X company could be for anything. It does not necessarily confirm that the money was for the specific policy on that specific vehicle.

Similarly, the phone number record or web history, again, that could be for anything. Someone could ring up and ask the time for all the court is aware. Unless the OP is able to get a copy of the call recording or a legally certified transcript I just cannot see that being enough.

If I have read the OP correctly, the alleged offence is driving without insurance. The only real defence to that surely is producing a copy of the valid insurance certificate. That’s why the statutes have two offences for driving without insurance and a second one for failure to produce an insurance certificate.

I would suggest the OP still seeks legal advice. The magistrates may well be “friendly” and less formal than a higher court of law, but it is still a court and they will be bound by the law.

You are right, won't be as simple as that ... however if he can link that payment to which change to policy then i think he might have a leg to stand on and if judge is nice course, for sure he should of waited to get some sort of written confirmation (email or letter) before driving ... beside that least he can do is what we mentioned... just has to bare in mind if they find him guilty .. he could face bigger fine (mony only) for court costs.