Car Insurance - Stopped by Police.

Hello. I would need advice or help from other users on here :)

Yesterday, 11/3 at 12:30 am, I was stopped by the police officer because allegedly I was not "insured". I just passed my practical test 3 days ago, and on 10/03, I amended online my fathers policy; I added myself onto it as additional driver. Police stopped me and gave me producer to show the Insurance Certificate to the local police station in 7 days. However as I checked with the insurance company, the amedment which I have made, did not go through their system one hour later, even tho the webiste said it did, and I didnt know I wasnt insured. I am going to say this on monday at my local police station, will I still possibly get 6 points on my licence, as if I do it would be taken from me. Thanks

If you are not insured you are not insured, if the insurance company says you were not insured then you will get six points, and you may think yourself lucky, you could have had the car impounded as well.

Well at first they deducted the payment, I was showing as insured, so I thought I can drive, but it "didn`t go through their system" and it was all returned one hour after

I suggest you get proper professional advice

---------- Post added 11-03-2017 at 12:14 ----------

As a minimum, I suggest you try and get some proof that you thought your insurance was valid, and so you were driving "in good faith". I don't know how you can do this, though, as it is no longer up on the screen.

I believe there is an issue with people taking out insurance but then they default on payment (although they have what seems to be a valid certificate), but the authorities are wise to this and will be on the lookout for anything that looks like this.

Well at first they deducted the payment, I was showing as insured, so I thought I can drive, but it "didn`t go through their system" and it was all returned one hour after

I think i am correct that, if the insurance company deducted your money, it does not mean you are insured, not on your first policy at least.

If you get 6 points you may lose your license if you have just passed your test. Trouble with car insurance is you need to make doubly sure you are insured correctly. Good luck on Monday. Don't think it will wash with them though. Even though it may have been a genuine mistake you wasn't insured and uninsured drivers are a blight to everyone who drives a car. That's why its such a harsh penalty.

Yes I know, I should have double checked that. thank you for responses, I will see what happens on Monday fingers crossed to keep my license.

That's strange. Whenever I've started a new policy or renewed one, it's always been instant. I'd get a letter from your insurance company explaining the mistake. If you amass six points before driving for two years, it's an instant loss of license.

How did the police know to pull you over due to no insurance?

If you had added yourself as an additional driver to your fathers policy then surely that car would show as insured?

If it's a new car then probably need a new policy unless it's a multicar policy, but then if you're the main driver you need to be the main driver on the policy, otherwise you're fronting, which would make your insurance void anyway.

How did the police know to pull you over due to no insurance?

If you had added yourself as an additional driver to your fathers policy then surely that car would show as insured?

If it's a new car then probably need a new policy unless it's a multicar policy, but then if you're the main driver you need to be the main driver on the policy, otherwise you're fronting, which would make your insurance void anyway.

That's what I was thinking???

Hard lesson for you. When you amend any insurance or take a Policy out they always send you confirmation & sometimes the document.

Best of luck, you could try the Insurance Company by phone to talk over the problem.

if the police do an ANPR and shows that it is insured to a 50yr old man and they see a 20yr old driving, thats how they catch car thieves