Scrap metal collectors taking the micheal

Just a word of warning for anyone leaving metal out for collectors.

Scrap metal collectors are sometimes quite handy for the removal of your scrap.

However some collectors are starting to take the Michael when it comes to fridges and freezers.

They will strip the valuable metal off at the side of the road leaving the casing behind.

I used to leave stuff out for them, but I will no longer. It should be give and take, but this behaviour is simply take.

I used to leave stuff out for them, ........

It is you that is responsible for what has been left behind.

Don't put your fridge/freezer out then lazy! It isn't give and take, its you that is not paying for collection or taking it to the tip to be disposed of properly.

It wouldn't be worth collecting your metal fridge if they have to dispose of the gases properly. You aren't 'gifting' them the metal, you are saving yourself a job.

Don't worry, once we've got Brexit sorted we can leave our fridges outside with impunity:

17) It would be easier to get rid of fridges

The EU has a say in how you dispose of white goods through Directive 2012/19/EU. Before the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive came in, you could dispose of your fridge in your local landfill to be destroyed by a giant metal crusher. But now fridges are deemed hazardrous, so have to be disposed of safely in special closed units ("approved authorised treatment facilities"). This has spawned a new industry disposing of Britain's old fridges, and irritated a lot of householders.

Source: Telegraph

I'm more worried about Michael.

---------- Post added 11-03-2017 at 11:49 ----------

Source: Telegraph

That's the Telegraph showing its true colours! Fridges, and other waste electricals, are hazardous and need to be disposed of properly. The Telegraphs says a reason to leave the EU is so we can pollute the ground instead... It's just taking advantage of people's ignorance about responsible disposal of hazardous materials and spinning it into anti-EU propaganda. That paper has decades of history of making up anti-EU stories, so it's not a surprise.

Edited by Flexo

I used to leave stuff out for them, but I will no longer. It should be give and take, but this behaviour is simply take.

If it is their main job, they are meant to register with the council, but how many do that?

I have a local waste trader site, I was going to take a couple of old car batteries there myself; but the scrap men opened my gate, and nicked them. They were out of sight too.

I'm more worried about Michael.

---------- Post added 11-03-2017 at 11:49 ----------

That's the Telegraph showing its true colours! Fridges, and other waste electricals, are hazardous and need to be disposed of properly. The Telegraphs says a reason to leave the EU is so we can pollute the ground instead... It's just taking advantage of people's ignorance about responsible disposal of hazardous materials and spinning it into anti-EU propaganda. That paper has decades of history of making up anti-EU stories, so it's not a surprise.

no, they have a point, theres LOTS of EU regulations and directives which are good things, but once we leave you and not agreed on then they dont count. the game changes. im particulary worried, knowing tory governments what will happen to most of the employment laws we have, plenty come from the EU

Perpetuating a problem.

Whenever poss I take crap to the tip myself otherwise the council get the job.

Guest makapaka
Don't put your fridge/freezer out then lazy! It isn't give and take, its you that is not paying for collection or taking it to the tip to be disposed of properly.

It wouldn't be worth collecting your metal fridge if they have to dispose of the gases properly. You aren't 'gifting' them the metal, you are saving yourself a job.

I sort of understand what the op means though. The give and take being that you get rid of an unwanted item and the scrap men get some cash at the other end.

The question is whether or not the fridge is disposed of correctly afterwards I suppose.

Just a word of warning for anyone leaving metal out for collectors.

Scrap metal collectors are sometimes quite handy for the removal of your scrap.

However some collectors are starting to take the Michael when it comes to fridges and freezers.

They will strip the valuable metal off at the side of the road leaving the casing behind.

What were you hoping the scrap men would do with the (worthless) casing?

It is you that is responsible for what has been left behind.

No, if they take possession of the fridge, then whatever they leave has been fly tipped.

Plus I'll wager that most of them simply let the gasses loose into the atmosphere.

No, if they take possession of the fridge, then whatever they leave has been fly tipped.

Plus I'll wager that most of them simply let the gasses loose into the atmosphere.

Wrong ,my neighbour left an old tv round back of her house ,scrap men came ,took out all bits they wanted and left rest on grass verge ,council came and told neighbour she was responsible for it even though neighbour told council she had not given it to scrap men and they had mearly taken it