Women who swear in public

mort

If you cannot refrain from bickering and insulting each other then I suggest you don't post. If you cannot get along with another user then put them on ignore. If you continue with the insults then I will be suspending accounts. 

Message added by mort

On 3/21/2017 at 10:10 AM, ukdobby said:

I was brought up rough and ready where 6 year old children used to eff and. jeff,my children never did,it doesn't sound right.

Me neither.  My parents never used such language in front of us, nor us them.  But it was common parlance in the mining community where we grew up.  That doesn't mean we were allowed to use it in the home though - it's called..."respect" and "standards".  

I commend it to everyone.  But it does seem to have gone out of fashion a bit?  

On 3/20/2017 at 5:29 PM, Hogg said:

The OP is on a misogynist rant, and referring to a woman as a 'thing' is utterly disgraceful, as is the sexist and degrading description given of this human being. What a caddish way to react to a woman.

Ha!  I can assure you I'm no misogynist.  My "rant" if you want to call it that, was aimed at a foul-mouthed sexless, gender-obfuscated, creature that could hardly be considered a woman (or a man!).  I don't think it's at all disgraceful to refer to such a foul kraken as a "thing".   But put that aside for a moment, if you can, and please comment on what "it" said and how "it" said it?  I put the whole conversation there, almost ad verbatim, what do you think when you hear someone (male or female, or one of the other dozens of apparent genders) coming out with stuff like that at full volume in public?  

Nice?  Normal?  Each to their own?

I'd guess you probably do.  Yet you find me pointing this out as "utterly disgraceful".

Apologies if I have posted similar before. I had my beloved Mum for 56 years, she NEVER heard me swear in all that time, and I NEVER heard her swear either.

Different times, different people, different standards. Better than to-days standards, make your own minds up.

Angel1.

Personally I would not agree but there were necessarilly 'better standards'  back then.   I would argue its more an evolution of language. 

Whilst it may be shocking to some to hear 'swear' words being said so openly and publicly these days, there are also many words from back in the  day which are now highly offensive.

Some of those words are still used by my parents and grandparents without any hesitation today.

We don't have to go too far back when words such as poof, queer, slag, bitch and those other terms to describe races such as the P shop, or the chinky takeout or C and N words were all used commonly without any reaction.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Personally I would not agree but there were necessarilly 'better standards'  back then.   I would argue its more an evolution of language. 

Whilst it may be shocking to some to hear 'swear' words being said so openly and publicly these days, there are also many words from back in the  day which are now highly offensive.

Some of those words are still used by my parents and grandparents without any hesitation today.

We don't have to go too far back when words such as poof, queer, slag, bitch and those other terms to describe races such as the P shop, or the chinky takeout or C and N words were all used commonly without any reaction.  

I'm of the older generation where the P word was used along with others you allude to.   I don't see age as an excuse for continuing to use terms we know are offensive.  I've learnt as I've grown older, and I'm still slightly surprised when I hear the term 'coloured' used to refer to a black person. 

I have been known to swear, something I wouldn't have done as a young woman, and certainly not in front of my parents.   Times change.  I do cringe when I hear women or men swear at small children.  Loudly.

On 3/21/2017 at 8:23 AM, TimmyR said:

Why? Its just a word.

It's an inappropriate way to speak to a child perhaps...

i cant think of an answer to this, maybe a more intelligent person can?

why is intercourse acceptable and the F word isn't? they both mean the same. 

google it?

How did swear words become swear words?
In English, swear words and curse words tend to have Germanic, rather than Latin etymology "<removed>" has a Germanic root, as, likely, does "<removed>". The more technical alternatives are often Latin in origin, such as "defecate" or "excrete" and "fornicate" or "copulate" respectively.
Edited by nikki-red

On 3/14/2017 at 10:20 PM, The Giraffe said:

I always find it amazing that people can tell if you need the priority seat or not just by looking at you.

I am a young person, with a disability, I have a walking stick, but once on the tram the stick is folded up in my bag - I don't feel the need to wave it around like a disability flag.

When my disability is bad I sit in the priority seat and i have endured looks and comments from people who think I don't need to sit there, sad to say this is from "older" people.

There may be people who are taking the micky but you really can't tell if someone needs that seat.

End of rant - back to the "women who swear in public" thread....

I'm very aware of hidden disabilities.  I know they aren't age related. However the majority of the population of any age  don't have a disability that requires accessible seating.   

Because so many take the micky (and they do) people like yourself bear the brunt.  I use public transport a lot, and when you see someone running to catch the tram - that's a clue perhaps that they are mobile enough not to need a priority seat.  

On 3/17/2017 at 7:35 AM, Halibut said:

Of course! One would be rude, insensitive and an oaf not to.

Exactly. And whilst I don't think swearing is necessarily the sign of a limited vocabulary, it's obvious in some instances it is.  The constant use of one word in every ....ing sentence is a bit of a giveaway. 

15 hours ago, kidley said:

Don't know but one is certainly sexier than the other.

16 hours ago, kidley said:

It's all about context; the F word is frequently used as a swear, sexual intercourse is a 'proper' term which is simply describing the act and is free of any sweary context.

It (the F word) is remarkably versatile and can be used both in describing dreadful experiences and wonderful ones.

There is no swearing  on the forum, its not allowed :thumbsup:  and not needed,  this should be so in daily life.  Here some examples to help them who struggle to write or talk without using foul laguage.  Oh Sugar, Flippinghell, you Twit.  :hihi:.  Have a nice Xmas Everybody.  :clap: