Women who swear in public

mort

If you cannot refrain from bickering and insulting each other then I suggest you don't post. If you cannot get along with another user then put them on ignore. If you continue with the insults then I will be suspending accounts. 

Message added by mort

I was only reading in the paper a few days ago that Rochdale Council plan to fine people who are caught swearing in public:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/09/watch-language-rochdale-council-plans-swearing-ban-100-fines/

It seems like it's part of a drive of the council to ban 'low level' anti social behaviour like revving car engines loudly, drinking in public, begging, playing loud music and skateboarding....

It's easy to mock the council's attempts to try and deal with anti social behaviour (though personally I've no problem with skateboarding). I've also no problem with the odd expletive for effect, but travelling on public transport you can't help but notice that some people would have difficulty in finding something to say if they weren't effing and jeffing - even within the earshot of young kids. It's probably always happened, but as I get older perhaps I notice it more.

---------- Post added 11-03-2017 at 12:01 ----------

Agreed. Spitting is just vile.

It was not normal to swear in my younger days, men had more respect & decency than to swear in public or in front of women though I know they probably swore at work. The first time I heard a woman swear I was 26 and it was understandable for a reason I will not go into other than it was a saving a life issue. It came in more due to it being used on TV so much. I have never found Billy Connelly funny - all I hear is the swearing and the humour simply bypasses me due to the swearing. Why swear - something is either funny or it isn't.

I don't know about TV depicting real life - I would say real life copies TV, so kids and adults think it is okay to swear, behave badly and spit etc. They see comedians, celebs & footballers behaving badly so they do and their parents probably do the same. Footballers used to be decent hardworking men on low wages in comparison to today's idols. Now they behave like spoiled brats. If you swore at a policeman years ago you would have been arrested and charged with using offensive language.

" Re: Women who swear in public "

Quite disgusting, imagine how they must carry on when at home. What chance have their offspring got, bet they use foul language at school.

Angel1.

There were 2 young" ladies" at the tram stop outside the cathedral and as they walked past us one of them said at the top of her voice, something starting with f and ending with me.To look at them you would not think butter would have melted in their mouth.Disgusting.

Let's face it its not just the women, kids ,men are all at it ,to be honest its just the way things are nowadays due to lack of vocabulary in sheffield

Sheffield? You think this is just a local thing. You might want to travel around a bit.

Also, "lack" of vocabulary? Perhaps some others might argue its actually using a more wide ranging vocabulary. These words are in the dictionary right?

Just because some people find them offensive doesn't mean that others dont.

Personally, I am not saying its right. BUT, there is no denying language evolves.

40/50 years ago saying the word bum/knickers on television would send people running in horror. However, racist slurs and offensive terms for women and homosexuals were bandied about without a care. Now using such words in any capacity are deemed hugely offensive but use of swearing has become acceptable.

So..... who is right and wrong in these situations?

---------- Post added 11-03-2017 at 22:21 ----------

Also, another little interesting thing. I notice this thread seemingly is focused on "women" who swear in public.

Now, IF this language is deemed so offensive surely the OP and others are not trying to argue that is perfectly ok for MEN to use it but not WOMEN??

Seems a very strange point to me.

Edited by ECCOnoob

It is the obscene bad language I dislike whether used by men, women or kids. And yes it is everywhere you go, not just in Sheffield and in all walks of life. To me it is offensive and unacceptable. We are all entitled to our opinions on this.

I see people all the time swearing ,every sentence they don't even know they are turning this language out, and yes I feel sheffield folk are one of the worst people for this ,the reason they swear is because they cannot express themselves as I say no vocabulary

''Times they are a changing''

Often sitting in the priority seats, when it's fairly obvious they don't need to. ............ Sad.

I always find it amazing that people can tell if you need the priority seat or not just by looking at you.

I am a young person, with a disability, I have a walking stick, but once on the tram the stick is folded up in my bag - I don't feel the need to wave it around like a disability flag.

When my disability is bad I sit in the priority seat and i have endured looks and comments from people who think I don't need to sit there, sad to say this is from "older" people.

There may be people who are taking the micky but you really can't tell if someone needs that seat.

End of rant - back to the "women who swear in public" thread....

Sexual equality of the uncouth.

In other words: Do some f-in E&D training Derby!

We are in the 21st century, complaining about women swearing is akin to moaning about contraception...

John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten ex Sex Pistols) was interviewed on the radio a few years ago and was asked if he still swore, he replied,

"No, I have a vocabulary"

Swearing doesn't really bother me, it's just words, I can't see what all the fuss is about. If women feel like swearing, and in the current climate i can see why they might, that's up to them.