Son wants to go into teaching – which route to take?

Yes he can get in with a BTEC, but all universities favour A Level applicants simply because they're much more difficult and show that the applicant is capable of university teaching.

But, even if he doesn't need GCSEs to get onto the BTEC, he will need at least C's in maths and English. And if he's doing primary school teaching, or teaching science, he'll also need a C in science.

Can always teach PE :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Even to teach P.E you need good A level results and a degree.

What I was thinking.

If he can't manage a C at 5 GCSEs, then he's probably not going to become a teacher.

A very narrow mind of thinking. He could develop to the required level much later after either more support or a career path that would give this effect such as an apprenticeship like I said earlier.

It is people like you who trample on people's aspirations when they are only 15 and attempt to pigeon hole them for the rest of their lives is what is wrong with this country.

I suspect you would be a pathetic manager if you were responsible to develop a workforce for the better with the attitude you have shown here.

Teaching is an degree level profession. If he can't make the grade then becoming a teaching assistant might be an option. Less money, but less responsibility too, and arguably a lot more fun.

Even Teaching Assistants need a GCSE Grade C in Maths and English well the ones that want to be a Level 3 anyway.

My understanding is that before you enter a PGCE you need to have GCSE Grade C in English and Maths beforehand - you can't take them whilst studying for the PGCE. There is also a Math and English assessment which needs to be passed before entry on to the PGCE.

I'm sure I read somewhere about introducing the requirement for at least one Science GCCE at grade C at some point in the future. Or is that already a requirement?

I have applied for a BA Top course to start in September this year, my plan is to eventually apply for a PGCE.

I have a BTec and HND (vocational route) so going down the BTec is not impossible but he will still need those GCSE grades. My Btec course was a Level 3 and the entry requirements were a Grade C in Math, English Language and an Art/Design subject. I missed the Grade C for English so I studied a year long course alongside the Btec and managed to get a C on the second attempt.

There are all sorts of reasons for not getting the best grades at GCSE level, it doesn't mean the OP's son is unintelligent or incapable of being a Teacher.

I struggled with English and stopped reading when in Junior School - I think me getting a D in English was actually quite an achievement when you consider a barely read a thing other than bits here and there. I got behind and didn't understand a lot of what was being said. The same was true with Math - I used to end up crying after trying to do Math homework at Junior School, I didn't understand what was being explained to me. That changed when I went to Secondary School - my Math Teacher made it fun somehow and I wanted to learn. The same couldn't be said for my English Teachers and in the end I just switched off more.

The thing is now I think my standard of English is pretty good but at the time of taking my GCSEs it wasn't. Things change and sometimes getting a different Teacher is what you need. When I studied GCSE English at College it was completely different, she assumed you knew nothing and took you right through it all. That is exactly what I needed and it was so much easier the second time round as I understood what I needed to do.

A very narrow mind of thinking. He could develop to the required level much later after either more support or a career path that would give this effect such as an apprenticeship like I said earlier.

It is people like you who trample on people's aspirations when they are only 15 and attempt to pigeon hole them for the rest of their lives is what is wrong with this country.

I suspect you would be a pathetic manager if you were responsible to develop a workforce for the better with the attitude you have shown here.

Well, you're entitled to an opinion, even if it's ill informed.