Greave's Piece - anyone know where it is?

Pleased you've asked this, Greaves Piece , Fatty Boynes pond and a number of others named on the Sheffield Bird Group Site have always been a mystery to me too.

According to my OS map, Greave's Piece is a bit SSW of Owler Bar, along a track east of the A621.

It's always annoyed me that SBSG don't give grid refs to the most interesting places that they mention.

[This link may help]

Edited by Temuchin
Add link

Fatty Boynes might be a pond / ponds near Thryberg; this site mentions "Fatty Boyins" being fish ponds at the edge of Thrybergh Deer Park, in the 19th century.

According to my OS map, Greave's Piece is a bit SSW of Owler Bar, along a track east of the A621.

Yes it's the area opposite the Barbrook Reservoir reserve. Heading south from Owler Bar you'll first pass the turn-off for Barbrook on your right then shortly after there is a lay-by on your right with limited views over Greaves's Piece. Look for a minor track on your left a quarter mile after this and park just inside the entrance (there's plenty of room). A short walk down the track gives really good views over this area.

Hope you have better luck than I had on Friday afternoon. A Shrike was also there last winter (probably the same bird) and I dipped on that one as well (three times) :mad: