Castle House Co-op Department Store

A bit of a morbid thread I'm afraid.

I'm currently stewarding a project in Castle House and people keep telling me that a child fell down the stairwell when it first opened and died.

The most coherent of these stories seemed to date this incident around 1965.

Is this a true story? I've searched all over the internet and can't find anything.

Thanks.

It's true and around 1965 a child leaned over the banister to touch the lights and fell. They then put an extra piece on the hand rail to make it higher.

When I was a kid,(early 60s ish) I remember being in Castle House co-op dept. store. I was standing by the lift at the bottom of the big spiral staircase when I heard screaming and glass smashing, then a child landed on the floor in the centre of the staircase onto a pile of broken glass.

It appears that the child must have climbed over the banister rail and fallen through the cascade of lights that went down the middle of the stairs. It was terrible. Does anyone know what happened to that poor child?

thanks, I went to the thread you sent. Believe me it really happened, I was there. I just managed to run outside before I was sick!. I would put it a bit earlier than 1965 though.

It is true that a boy fell. He was around 2years old at the time and didn't die.

He suffered a head injury but no lasting damage! A lady reached out thinking he was a falling coat partially breaking his fall and breaking her arm. 

It will have happened 67/68 as he wasn't born until 66. 

2 hours ago, CombatWombat said:

It is true that a boy fell. He was around 2years old at the time and didn't die.

He suffered a head injury but no lasting damage! A lady reached out thinking he was a falling coat partially breaking his fall and breaking her arm. 

It will have happened 67/68 as he wasn't born until 66. 

Has this child fully recovered?