Here's a tanner, go and get thee sen some Spice

Yes I can remember farthings and halfpenny still got some with other old money The old shillings we used them in gas meter to pay for gas

I was born in '43 and the old penny gas meter was still in. It was really exciting to see the shiny new shilling meter fitted, probably around the time of my user pic on the left. Didn't get many new things in those days. The wooden scooter must have been pre war and I was grateful for it. Probably had a bag of spice fishes in my trouser pocket. Those were the days! Or so it seems. :)

Edited by PeterR

I remember vividly my little girls favourite phrase "Can I have a little shilling daddy to go to Harpers?".Harpers was the corner shop at the bottom of Marion Road,this was in the sixties,to a little kid it was paradise the counter covered in "spice" of all sorts!.My little girl is 51 now and I always kid her about it,she was daddies girl following me everwhere,she denies it of course but I still torment her about it!.

Son. " Dad, can I have 50p ?"

Dad. " 30p, what do you want 10p for ? "

"Here's a tanner, go and get thee sen some Spice"

How many times was that said 40 years ago to kids from their grandparents.

That statement would guarantee to cause a few raised eyebrows these days!!!

It was common parlance back in the day.

"Threppence, Tanner, Bob".

A tanner was a decent amount with which to buy spice. It would get you loads of Black Jacks and Mojo's for a start.

Was "spice" the word used in Sheffield for "sweets" back then? It certainly was in Derbyshire where I grew up, but I don't know if it was the same for Sheffielder's?

Spice nowadays refers to a form of cannabis doesn't it?

Always called sweets at our house. We could only have them if there was a penny bottle to go back.............

For those who don't get that, all glass bottles had a returnable deposit of usually a penny on them, some had tuppence on them.

Now they are talking about bringing back returnable bottles with a deposit on them.

To plan for the future, you have to look back at history.

I remember farthings too.

It was common parlance back in the day.

"Threppence, Tanner, Bob".

A tanner was a decent amount with which to buy spice. It would get you loads of Black Jacks and Mojo's for a start.

Was "spice" the word used in Sheffield for "sweets" back then? It certainly was in Derbyshire where I grew up, but I don't know if it was the same for Sheffielder's?

Spice nowadays refers to a form of cannabis doesn't it?

Plus 2 bobs and half crowns.

I remember going to the local corner shop with 4 farthings, bet there not that many forummers can say that, or are there?

I can't match that, but I can remember going to the corner shop at the bottom of our road for a haporth of balm. You older ones will remember that's half an old penny.

I can't match that, but I can remember going to the corner shop at the bottom of our road for a haporth of balm. You older ones will remember that's half an old penny.

My first employer informed me by letter that I has been "engaged" at a rate of "sevenpence farthing" an hour, for 44 hours a week, and I should report promptly to their stores in Paradise Square, next Monday.

Remember people putting coins on tram lines when the trams last run down Attercliffe Common as a momentum.

We used to get our own spendos by collecting milk bottles penny refund on these Beer bottles 3old pence back on these and selling bundles of firewood plenty of

Spendos if you wanted it

Edited by raymondo1952
Adding some more to topic memory fails me

I remember, during Last Tram Week in 1960, some of my classmates bringing bent pennies into school and proudly saying that they were bent by no. 506 or whatever. I also remember occasionally collecting old pop bottles and taking back to shops to get the deposit - I think you had to have the flip-back stopper to get the threepence back.

During the war our sweets were Spanish Liquorish, it came in a lump looking like coal. WE tried to smoke cinnamon sticks, not successful.

I always spice that were 4 a penny so I got more spice and of course the 1d bubbly, bazooka cos I like the cartoons inside. I seem to remember chewing the bubbly til my jaws ached. Happy days.