New University Buildings on Northumberland Road

Norton playing fields were used for all the major sports teams even back when I was a student. The old astroturf pitches were mostly used for intramural football and hockey. I think those moved to the new 3g astroturf pitches when they were built.

Norton playing fields were used for all the major sports teams even back when I was a student. The old astroturf pitches were mostly used for intramural football and hockey. I think those moved to the new 3g astroturf pitches when they were built.

Yes, Norton has been used for a long while...not all sports can be played on the artifical pitches ( rugby and cricket, for example ).

There is a location map of the new centre and one of the existing centre on the planning submission.

The new sports centre has a swimming pool on the lower ground floor (only 25m, rather than 33m as it is at present), so I thought that they would be demolishing at least that part of the old centre. The new centre has a gym but I couldn't seen squash courts, climbing walls, etc, so perhaps they will keep that section of the old centre.

---------- Post added 07-03-2017 at 21:39 ----------

If they demolish part of the old sports centre, it will make the plot w't oil much larger and perhaps more satisfactory as a site for new apartments etc. Whoever owns it may finally be able to get planning permission to build something worthwhile?

The new centre has a bouldering area on the ground floor. But still only 2 activity rooms and no main hall, so hopefully they are retaining some of the existing buildings, otherwise the outcome will be less facilities, not more.

---------- Post added 08-03-2017 at 08:36 ----------

Universities are getting used to the idea that quite a lot of their students own cars I'm afraid. Huddersfield's sports pitches are at Shelley, which although it's quite close to the student village, isn't close to where the tuition happens at all

It's about 1 in 10 amongst the UK students, much higher amongst the foreign students.

The new centre has a bouldering area on the ground floor. But still only 2 activity rooms and no main hall, so hopefully they are retaining some of the existing buildings, otherwise the outcome will be less facilities, not more.

One of the plans is for a link bridge, which you would assume means the retention of the main sports hall. There is no hint of demolition in the plans.

if/how they're going to replace all the outdoor sports pitches they'll be losing.

I think they are supposed to be converting the Northumberland Road car park, opposite the hole, into the replacement pitch.

There are still a few ifs and buts about the new building. Because this is the old dams, the land underneath isn't particularly stable or suitable for big buildings (hence why it has always been set aside for leisure). There will need to be very expensive deep foundations dug.

I assumed they meant the enormous plot on the corner of Northumberland and Harcourt. And it resembles a hole.

Not any more, it resembles a small forest with no hole visible!

I think they are supposed to be converting the Northumberland Road car park, opposite the hole, into the replacement pitch.

Great - so another of the few remaining staff car parks that it's possible to find a space on after 8.30am bites the dust!

Great - so another of the few remaining staff car parks that it's possible to find a space on after 8.30am bites the dust!

Don't worry, they have shelved this plan because of a raft of concerns about light pollution and noise raised by the local householders on Crookesmoor Rd. It leaves the synthetic pitch users irritated though, as there won't be a replacement pitch now. They are looking into reconfiguration options for the existing pitches, apparently.