Using Mobile Phones While Driving - New Laws

Lots are been done to make cars safer and educate drivers. But mistakes happen because we are human.

Picking up a phone is a choice not a mistake for been human. So lets stamp out 1.2% and continue working on the rest.

Indeed.

1.2% is not much, but it represents real people being alive, instead of dead -

so I would say it's pretty bloody mandatory to not use your phone at all when driving.

Indeed.

so I would say it's pretty bloody mandatory to not use your phone at all when driving.

I agree.

I have met company drivers who admit to negotiating mega contracts whilst hands-free, to having their annual performance appraisal hands-free.

All the research shows that it is the conversation that represents the bulk of any cognitive overload rather than the holding of the phone to the ear. (Texting etc is beyond the pale, though.)

Welcome as the crack-down is, it won't eradicate the deeper issue and the Police will still be checking phone records as part of their serious/fatal crash investigation.

Indeed.

The focus on it and the level of penalty is disproportionate to the size of the problem though.

https://www.drivermetrics.com/2013/04/02/research-evidence-dangers-hands-free-mobile-phone-driving/

"Using a hands-free mobile phone is currently legal in the UK and many fleet-based companies allow drivers to take work-related hands-free phone calls. However, many studies show that hands-free mobile phone use does not reduce the level of risk when compared with handheld and makes little difference to the level of impairment in driving performance or crash involvement rates. This is because the mental distraction and divided attention involved in conducting a phone conversation is responsible for the increased risk. Many drivers consider that a hands-free phone call is just the same as talking to a passenger but research has shown that it is more dangerous (Charlton, 2009). Indeed, having a hands-free device in the vehicle may actually encourage drivers to use their mobile phone while driving more often (Gras et al., 2007)."

I remember seeing a TV interview, several years ago, with a youngish looking male MP who had been part of the parliamentary group which designed the legislation banning the use of hands held phones. Sorry, I can't remember his name, and have never been able to find the interview since.

He said that the evidence clearly showed that hands free phones were basically as dangerous as hand held ones. However, at the time, they did not believe that public opinion was ready for the banning of the use of all phones, so they went with just the hand held ones.

IF it isn't safe to use hands free/bluetooth kits then why do almost all major car manufacturers have them pre installed ?

We now even have cars that read out text messages.

I have hands free in my car, i have installed hands free in all my privately owned cars. Its cheaper than the old £100 fine AND represents less risk of using the phone for anything more than taking an incoming call.

Anyone involved in an accident on the phone illegally should be banned from driving there is no excuse for it and if you're driving anything bigger than a car it should be for several years.

I suppose an increase in the fine wouldnt be to raise extra revenue for the Government would it ?

Nah, they wouldnt use motorists as cash cows , would they ?

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 22:08 ----------

Talking on the phone AND changing gear is awkward too . :)

I have travelled in a car where the driver did just that......worrying to say the least!

IF it isn't safe to use hands free/bluetooth kits then why do almost all major car manufacturers have them pre installed ?

We now even have cars that read out text messages.

I have hands free in my car, i have installed hands free in all my privately owned cars. Its cheaper than the old £100 fine AND represents less risk of using the phone for anything more than taking an incoming call.

Anyone involved in an accident on the phone illegally should be banned from driving there is no excuse for it and if you're driving anything bigger than a car it should be for several years.

I agree with this. Punishments for any sort of dangerous driving should be even harsher for HGV drivers.

A hands free phone call in no different from listening to the radio . Do you want that banned too ?

Maybe we should also ban manual vehicles ,as you have to take your hand off the wheel to change gear ? :roll:

Are you interacting with your radio and having a conversation with it? I dont know about you but I usually like to concentrate on a conversation im having with other people so that you can actually answer them correctly. The radio just drones on in the background and requires no concentration whatsoever, ditto music

I agree with this. Punishments for any sort of dangerous driving should be even harsher for HGV drivers.

The fine for using a phone while driving a h g v is all ready supposed to be higher iirc it's up to £2500 if taken to court

Police pulled a bus driver on Abbeydale Road recently for talking on his phone whilst driving. Well done SYP ! Hope many more get caught.

---------- Post added 02-03-2017 at 11:30 ----------

Indeed.

I agree. Pull over and use your phone !!!!!

Just spoken to a woman about using her phone whilst stopped at a junction with the engine running. When people say they didn't know, you know they are lying.