Bus fares going up again from April

Guest busdriver1
Here's a tip, offer the driver a fiver for your £1.50 fare. He can't change it so let's you travel to town for free. Stagecoach are good at that ☺

You are a bit out of date, they give change vouchers now designed for people like you. There was a thread on here about it.

You are a bit out of date, they give change vouchers now designed for people like you. There was a thread on here about it.

For people like you ?

I buy a Citybus ticket.

On my way to work on Wednesday morning, getting the number 1 opposite Morrison's in Ecclesfield, the guy in front of me offered the driver a fiver and was told "I can't change that, go and sit down."

So, don't tell me I'm out of date, this happened 2 days ago.

---------- Post added 10-03-2017 at 09:08 ----------

For people like you ?

I buy a Citybus ticket.

On my way to work on Wednesday morning, getting the number 1 opposite Morrison's in Ecclesfield, the guy in front of me offered the driver a fiver and was told "I can't change that, go and sit down."

Edited by Frohike

Guest busdriver1
If you want to read what First and Stagecoach really think of read this.

The report also gives a historical account of the end of tax payers money going directly to bus companies -BSOG and BBA which is a ever reducing amount paid to an area to manage the difference between public requirement and company profit.

Any evidence of fraud should be sent to the police.

Firstly, what First and Stagecoach say in the public domain and what they actually think are 2 VERY different things.

Secondly, fuel duty rebate or BSOG as it is now know has been paid since the 30's as a means of putting buses and trains on a level playing field as Railways use gas oil (red Diesel) that is not taxed.

It has not been removed, it is now handed to SYPTE whose job it is to pass it on to operators.

The recent round of cuts to bus services in Sheffield were implemented at the behest of SYPTE who maintained they could spend the money elsewhere to improve bus services ( a job they are supposed to do anyway) and the reduction of services making buses run to capacity would offset this shortfall.

I ask again, is there any evidence of where this money has been spent?

---------- Post added 10-03-2017 at 10:25 ----------

For people like you ?

I buy a Citybus ticket.

---------- Post added 10-03-2017 at 09:08 ----------

For people like you ?

I buy a Citybus ticket.

Your implication was that it was you using this tactic. Instead you have subsidised this guys journey.

The failure of the driver to correctly issue a change voucher does not mean they are not there or supposed to be issued.

bus fares are too expensive the excuses first and stage coach etc make are laughable the best one is it costs more to run because of the hills

Guest busdriver1
bus fares are too expensive the excuses first and stage coach etc make are laughable the best one is it costs more to run because of the hills

Fares in South Yorkshire are amongst the lowest in the country.

Well I don't let people travel for free if they have notes I'll take the note off them and explain if I have change at the end of their destination I'll give them

It if not it's a change voucher they either accept or get off long have the days gone where you can travel for free and the driver who you saw do it will eventually be suspended if caught by an inspector as I work at the same depot doing the number 1's and have seen people suspended for this

Your implication was that it was you using this tactic. Instead you have subsidised this guys journey.

The failure of the driver to correctly issue a change voucher does not mean they are not there or supposed to be issued.

Fair enough dude, I did think to myself maybe my ticket wouldn't be £14/week if you paid a your fare!

---------- Post added 11-03-2017 at 10:56 ----------

Well I don't let people travel for free if they have notes I'll take the note off them and explain if I have change at the end of their destination I'll give them

It if not it's a change voucher they either accept or get off long have the days gone where you can travel for free and the driver who you saw do it will eventually be suspended if caught by an inspector as I work at the same depot doing the number 1's and have seen people suspended for this

I travel from Ecclesfield to town for work & other errands making 12 -14 bus journeys per week. I think people not paying happens more than you realise. I really do see it often. Folk being told to 'sit down mate' 'don't worry love' etc

I wonder when I buy my next £14 ticket, if I offer the driver £13.60 & say that's all I've got. Will he let me have it with a 'don't worry mate'?

Edited by Frohike

Fares in South Yorkshire are amongst the lowest in the country.

yeah ok lol still too much

Guest busdriver1
yeah ok lol still too much

well they arent going to pay you to get on the buses so celebrate what you have.

Notices have gone up at Tram stops overnight notifying that Tram fares are also set to increase on April 2nd.

Short distance single goes to £1.70 from £1.60.

Long distance single goes to £2.40 from £2.30.

Short distance return remains £3.00.

There are a few other changes to Day/Weekly and Child Tickets.

Notices have gone up at Tram stops overnight notifying that Tram fares are also set to increase on April 2nd.

Short distance single goes to £1.70 from £1.60.

Long distance single goes to £2.40 from £2.30.

Short distance return remains £3.00.

There are a few other changes to Day/Weekly and Child Tickets.

The cost of a Tram Only Megarider Extra is going up from £43 a month to £48 - a whopping increase of 11.6%...! This in addition to the very poor standard of service recently, particularly on the Blue Route...:(

The cost of a Tram Only Megarider Extra is going up from £43 a month to £48 - a whopping increase of 11.6%...! This in addition to the very poor standard of service recently, particularly on the Blue Route...:(

See my comments on the Hillsborough thread. It is frustrating but trams have to share the road with other vehicles and Hillsborough delays the entire network as soon as the bus gate opens at 11 (see the twitter feed to see how often trams get terminated at Beighton from 11 onwards). At the end of the day the fleet is getting older, they are less reliable and they don't have enough vehicles. None of that is stagecoach's fault - the PTE refuse to invest in tram network. Look at how Nottingham, Manchester, Edinburgh etc have all grown in size and nothing has changed with Supertram in 23 years.

Of course if something doesn't change people will abandon the tram for buses. As of course you could do if youre unhappy - take your money elsewhere and vote with your feet. Personally I'd rather be delayed and sit in traffic on a tram than a bus and think £48 a month is still pretty good value, especially considering how much it costs to run a car, pay for parking etc.