Bus fares going up again from April

Look at how Nottingham, Manchester, Edinburgh etc have all grown in size and nothing has changed with Supertram in 23 years.

I'd be careful of ever mentioning Edinburgh trams in a positive light given the blight on the city it caused. 3 years late, 3 times the price and a truncated service

I'd be careful of ever mentioning Edinburgh trams in a positive light given the blight on the city it caused. 3 years late, 3 times the price and a truncated service

They've turned things around in Edinburgh since the initial days!

See my comments on the Hillsborough thread. It is frustrating but trams have to share the road with other vehicles and Hillsborough delays the entire network as soon as the bus gate opens at 11 (see the twitter feed to see how often trams get terminated at Beighton from 11 onwards). At the end of the day the fleet is getting older, they are less reliable and they don't have enough vehicles. None of that is stagecoach's fault - the PTE refuse to invest in tram network. Look at how Nottingham, Manchester, Edinburgh etc have all grown in size and nothing has changed with Supertram in 23 years.

Of course if something doesn't change people will abandon the tram for buses. As of course you could do if youre unhappy - take your money elsewhere and vote with your feet. Personally I'd rather be delayed and sit in traffic on a tram than a bus and think £48 a month is still pretty good value, especially considering how much it costs to run a car, pay for parking etc.

Thanks Hook - I take your points however I do already run a car but choose not to use that for city journeys e.g. to & from work where I can use the tram, not least due to the environmental benefits of tram travel.

However after nearly 20 years of doing this I'm starting to seriously reconsider that now, already looking at abandoning the tram altogether - the main reason being the latest fare hike - & either using my car more instead of leaving it sitting in the garage during the week or defecting to the bus - Supertram's price hike of 11.6% on their monthly tickets is just way over the top.

I note that Stagecoach Group's profits before tax for the *half* year ended 29/10/16 were £89.5million.... with an increase of 8.6% in shareholder dividends.

I note that Stagecoach Group's profits before tax for the *half* year ended 29/10/16 were £89.5million.... with an increase of 8.6% in shareholder dividends.

The group might be in profit overall but supertram is operating at a loss and has done for the last couple of years.

Guest busdriver1
The group might be in profit overall but supertram is operating at a loss and has done for the last couple of years.

Exactly, just because the group makes a profit, it does not follow that every part of it is in profit, even with all the back door subsidies from the PTE.

[quote name= Hook

busdriver1]Exactly, just because the group makes a profit, it does not follow that every part of it is in profit, even with all the back door subsidies from the PTE.

So Supertram's plan to turn the business around is to hike prices by 11.6% at a time when the service is deteriorating...? Thereby making the service less competitive & alternative modes of transport more attractive.

On the basis of this flawed business model, Supertram's financial deficit is likely to increase!

Guest busdriver1
So Supertram's plan to turn the business around is to hike prices by 11.6% at a time when the service is deteriorating...? Thereby making the service less competitive & alternative modes of transport more attractive.

On the basis of this flawed business model, Supertram's financial deficit is likely to increase!

Personally I would not mourn its passing, maybe then we could have decent road systems for all again.

Might be worth adding that despite using the tram for between 12 & 14 times each week I haven't seen any "Revenue Protection Officers" on Supertram for over 12 months.

Additionally when the conductor / conductress does come round fare collection - particularly at busy times - seems to be on an "honesty basis".

Hence the recent announcement of an 11.6% increase in the cost of the Tram Only Megarider Extra appears to be an attempt to pass the cost of fare evasion on to honest customers who buy in advance - instead of employing staff to tackle the issue of freeloaders?

Might be worth adding that despite using the tram for between 12 & 14 times each week I haven't seen any "Revenue Protection Officers" on Supertram for over 12 months.

Additionally when the conductor / conductress does come round fare collection - particularly at busy times - seems to be on an "honesty basis".

Hence the recent announcement of an 11.6% increase in the cost of the Tram Only Megarider Extra appears to be an attempt to pass the cost of fare evasion on to honest customers who buy in advance - instead of employing staff to tackle the issue of freeloaders?

You must just be lucky. I had my pass checked three times last week alone!

Does any one know what price the weekly tram only is to be ??

Bought a city bus weekly on a first bus last week.

Tried to use it on way home red light came on and told it was invalid.

Luckily had receipt so driver let me on.

Next morning same thing told to go to travel centre so made trip to one on arundle gate told nothing they could do and would have to go to first office at bus station and raise issue with them they said it was probably because driver did not hold card over machine long enough to activate.

Did not have time to go down so am left having to explain to every drive the issue.

Not the first time card has failed to read.

Don't see why travel centre can't sort it its a universal ticket not a first specific one seems a lot of faffing around for a bus ticket!