Pillows for neck pain

Hi,

just wanted to ask if any of you can recommend me a pillow for neck pain as i have been getting bad neck pain and believe the pillow is causing this.... Anyone been in a similar boat?

i like a plumpy pillow not too firm and not too soft, i have looked at a memory foam contour one but not sure as never used one of these before.

Thanks

Yep, I suffer too. Takes ages for a new pillow to bed in (excuse the pun).

I struggle to get the combination right - one or two pillows, and what sort of firmness.

Dunelm sell them. Sissel are recommended by chiropractors and are very good. They are sometimes sold in their clinics in which case the purchaser can view them. Sissel do not smell - some pillows have that rubbery odour so it is worth checking for that.

Try sleeping without a pillow for a few nights, that's what I was recommended the last time I had neck pain and it worked.

I use a buckwheat pillow which deals with my neck pain very well and is very supportive.

However, it's not what most people would think of as a 'pillow' as it's not soft at all and is very heavy and much more like a bean bag. You arrange the buckwheat husks into the right shape to support your neck and head, then lay on it. It's about as soft as a brick, but it does reduce my neck pain very well.

thanks guys, tried without a pillow but cant get comfortable at all.

need something that doesn't go flat and is a medium to firm...

The Sissel pillow would probably suit your requirements.

thanks jomie, its 50 quid, a lot to pay for a pillow...

What I found was not to have the pillows too plump or have more than one. Ideally I think the spine, neck and head should be almost in a straight line when laying on ones side. I now use a feather pillow for that very reason, so try that first before wasting any money.

I've had the same problem too..memory foam ones aren't too bad, but boy do they make your head sweat, which can be worse...I've tried a soft squidgy one 'with' a firm memory foam one, and that doesn't seem to work....BUT....Recently I came across some duck down ones, which were quite substantially filled. I find they're cooler to sleep on, and soft enough to be comfy and not brick like.

I find if I shake them before I get into bed...then kinda squish from the two outer sides inward, to make a sort of narrow but bulky pillow, that works the best...

If memory serves me, I think they were about £20 from Costco. (For a pair)

Go to the chiropractor first and get them to reset your neck. I go to the one on Ecclesall road by Collegiate Campus. He is very good and sorted this exact issue out for me. Also recommended using a rolled up towel, which has made the world of difference as a pillow.

Neck pain is normally due to the spine being misaligned, just too old or damage. A good chiro can assist all of these.

BUT....Recently I came across some duck down ones, which were quite substantially filled. I find they're cooler to sleep on, and soft enough to be comfy and not brick like.

I find if I shake them before I get into bed...then kinda squish from the two outer sides inward, to make a sort of narrow but bulky pillow, that works the best...

If memory serves me, I think they were about £20 from Costco. (For a pair)

I got mine from TJ Hughes now down the Moor. Just had a look and the still do similar ones for 12.99 a pair so will be back down tomorrow for some new ones.