Slow broadband on extension after external phone line replacement

I usually have my router plugged into an extension near my tv. I was getting the full speed of 50Mb/s through this. Recently there was a fault on the line which stopped me making or receiving calls and dropped the speed to 5Mb/s (even when plugged into the 5C master socket).

The engineer has replaced the line outside the house but since then I can only get full speed if the router is plugged into the master socket. When plugged into the extension the speed is around 28Mb/s, the router takes ages to connect and regularly drops the connection.

Before I get my ISP to send someone out and risk a £130 charge please would someone advise whether there is any reason why my old extension wiring should not work with the new phone line?

When I had Infinity-1 installed (January 2013) the engineer said the router must be connected to the master socket to ensure a stable connection.

The computer is hard-wired to the router with a download/up-load ratio of 50/9 Mbps.

The socket doesn't look like the one Glitterballs linked to. Mine is labelled as Master Socket 5c. Since I've had fibre broadband three engineers have visited and none have mentioned anything about only using the master socket. The engineer who fitted the socket late last year actually tested the master and extension and found that both were capable of providing in excess of the 50Mb/s service I have. It seems that the problem with the extension only started when the new external cable was fitted.

The socket doesn't look like the one Glitterballs linked to. Mine is labelled as Master Socket 5c. Since I've had fibre broadband three engineers have visited and none have mentioned anything about only using the master socket. The engineer who fitted the socket late last year actually tested the master and extension and found that both were capable of providing in excess of the 50Mb/s service I have. It seems that the problem with the extension only started when the new external cable was fitted.

Going to PM you Wysiwyg, but this is something I can sort out for you.

An internet connection is only guaranteed up to the point of the master socket, as anything PAST that (internal house wiring / extensions etc) are not installed by the phone company, and as a result they cannot support them as each house could be set up differently...

There are so many things that can go wrong with extensions, especially with newer broadband (50mb +)

some of the issues are...

Cheap / Poor quality cable - can be too high resistance, too brittle etc..

Broken cable - ANYWHERE along the extension, there could be a part that's nipped, or crushed, or just bent at too much of an angle and it's caused a small break in the cable - it may work fine for voice, but data is MUCH more sensitive...

other devices - make sure you're filtered properly, if you just have the extension into the master socket, then the router / phone from that, you need one filter, if you have a phone in the master socket as well as the extension, then you need a filter on the master for the phone, and on the other end of the extension.. (and this is where it gets complicated, when people have multiple phones / extensions)

Interference from other things - TV's, device chargers (phone/laptop etc), Microwaves, DAB digital radios, and other things - can all affect your internet connection, in different ways...

They can cause WiFi issues, or if extensions run near/directly by them they could cause interference through the cable also...

An internet connection is only guaranteed up to the point of the master socket, as anything PAST that (internal house wiring / extensions etc) are not installed by the phone company, and as a result they cannot support them as each house could be set up differently...

There are so many things that can go wrong with extensions, especially with newer broadband (50mb +)

some of the issues are...

Cheap / Poor quality cable - can be too high resistance, too brittle etc..

Broken cable - ANYWHERE along the extension, there could be a part that's nipped, or crushed, or just bent at too much of an angle and it's caused a small break in the cable - it may work fine for voice, but data is MUCH more sensitive...

other devices - make sure you're filtered properly, if you just have the extension into the master socket, then the router / phone from that, you need one filter, if you have a phone in the master socket as well as the extension, then you need a filter on the master for the phone, and on the other end of the extension.. (and this is where it gets complicated, when people have multiple phones / extensions)

Interference from other things - TV's, device chargers (phone/laptop etc), Microwaves, DAB digital radios, and other things - can all affect your internet connection, in different ways...

They can cause WiFi issues, or if extensions run near/directly by them they could cause interference through the cable also...

Absolutely spot on.

Does your socket look like this?

http://www.walkertelecoms.com/infinty.html

I believe too - the "5C" either has a double socket on the front, or if your front plate is a single - then taking this off should reveal two separate places for extensions (one for data, one for voice)

like this..

https://bt.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/30743iFA6C509A2BF758EE?v=1.0

I believe too - the "5C" either has a double socket on the front, or if your front plate is a single - then taking this off should reveal two separate places for extensions (one for data, one for voice)

like this..

https://bt.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/30743iFA6C509A2BF758EE?v=1.0

Yep coming off the Broadband extension go into a Cat5e socket at the other end, and that will fit the RJ11 of the router. Basically an unfiltered feed.

I have an HMO client who provides a wifi connection to clients but NOT a phone source, so for him I hard wire the RJ11 fly and blank off the master socket.

Edited by walkertelecoms