Adding sd card to Microsoft 32 gb windows 8.1 tablet

I have acquired an older version microsoft tablet with removable keyboard and for its age it is a remarkable piece of kit.

I have noticed that there is a slot that takes an SD card and I wonder just what the advantage would be by adding say 16 gb to the 32 already installed on the machine.

I suspect the SD card slot will just increase your storage of data, not actually improve performance unless you are going to use it as 'swap file' - if such a thing is possible - you could also then use the SD card to transfer data to/from notebook/desktop Pc with a card reader.

I have acquired an older version microsoft tablet with removable keyboard and for its age it is a remarkable piece of kit.

I have noticed that there is a slot that takes an SD card and I wonder just what the advantage would be by adding say 16 gb to the 32 already installed on the machine.

The advantage is it can free up more storage area for apps or software on the tablet. Instead of storing books, music, films or photos etc on the tablet they can be stored on the SD card instead. Like most tablets if it gets low on internal storage then software/apps will fail to install.

The windows OS will probable take a good chunk of that 32GB as well so you may only have less than 20GB or so left anyway.

I'm guessing you've picked up a Surface Pro 2 or 3. Great piece of kit, I'm sure there'll be detractors, I've owned and lived with first Surface Pro to the 4 and have little complaint.

The only advantage you'll get is some extra storage space, which is for me was of great benefit. I wouldn't recommend installing apps to the SD. I doubled the capacity of my Surface by putting in a 256GB card and it's proved useful for carrying films and other information I want to hand when I'm away from home.

If you're using OneDrive you'll have another means of supplementing storage too, assuming you're not caching everything.

You could set the sd card up as ReadyBoost... That may give a small performance boost

The SD card is or storage only - so you can store photos, music or videos on it for example.

You shouldn't run programs from sd as it's not fast enough.

64gb cards are less than £15 on Amazon.

The tablet has a mind of its own, I recently searched for The Milky Bar Kid add on youtube and was happy to hear that old tune again complete with Milky Bar.

The problem that every time I Google owt now I get the Milky Bar Kid tune in the back ground its driving me daft .

Any advise on how to get rid of the little turd would be appreciated.